Alli

Options
Sorry if this topic has been done to death but my hubby and I have been discussing the Alli pill quite a bit recently. We're not thinking of trying it (MFP is working fine without chemical help!) but we've heard some real horror stories about it...and I was wondering if any of your guys have ever tried it/know anyone who has?

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find that a lot of people on here are against anything that isn't just diet and exercise. I say if it helps you get to where you're going and you can stay away from the scary side effects to go for it.

Just remember that you can't go willy nilly and eat whatever you want to on Alli. That's where A LOT of the horror stories come from. People don't read and pay attention to the instructions.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard, you have to keep your fats low or else you could have some bowel issues. I hear that it can be pretty unpleasant if you eat too much fat. I think it may work for some people. I would certainly do my research before spending the money on it to see consumers reactions to it. You will get both positive and negative reviews. I would weigh the reviews and see if it something you want to do.
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Options
    My friend and I have started the Alli pill right after Christmas and neither of us have had any side effects. For me the pill is helping me eat better because if you don't eat healthy you get the side effects. I needed something to keep me in check because I fall off the wagon if the littlest thing upsets me or I don't see progress. I think the people that have the horrible side effects comes from not following the right diet. I have lost a total of 5 pounds since I started it and my friend 9.5. I really likeit and will continue to take it.
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm the friend :tongue:
    What she said! :wink:
  • DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think you are right. People dont do the research/follow the instructions correctly and end up with terrible results. I dont think my BMI is high enough to get it anyway here in the UK. My hubby's is but he never has any problem getting rid of the weight when he commits to diet and excercise (which he is doing- I'm very proud). But I guess some people need extra help for all sorts of reasons.
  • DaisyJane
    Options
    My friend and I have started the Alli pill right after Christmas and neither of us have had any side effects. For me the pill is helping me eat better because if you don't eat healthy you get the side effects. I needed something to keep me in check because I fall off the wagon if the littlest thing upsets me or I don't see progress. I think the people that have the horrible side effects comes from not following the right diet. I have lost a total of 5 pounds since I started it and my friend 9.5. I really likeit and will continue to take it.

Cool. Good results! I can see how having the added obligation to eat well (for fear of side effects) would be a great motivation. I think I read an article recently about Alli where the journalist who tried it said it's secret was fear! :laugh:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think the fear of pooping your pants in public is enough to keep a person on track when taking Alli.
  • DaisyJane
    Options
    I think the fear of pooping your pants in public is enough to keep a person on track when taking Alli.

frankly pooping your pants anywhere...
  • DaisyJane
    Options
    How FREAKY!! I've just turned on the BBC and there is a programme about Alli as I'm posting! (Cue twilight zone music...):smile:
  • zrakovi
    zrakovi Posts: 20
    Options
    Hello! I tried Alli a while ago. I don't know if it works, but the fear of the side-effects makes you work to stay within the fat boundaries given. I did pretty well staying within the set fat grams, but still had to wear a pantyliner to protect my clothing from the greasey discharge you get from using Alli. (sorry, I worded it as nicely as I could!) The almost full bottle still sits in the medicine cabinet. I'm sure it can work for some, but I think it's more the fear of the side-effects versus the drug...