Classic Rock or Oldies??

Options
AnitaRose72
AnitaRose72 Posts: 29 Member
I was shocked this morning as I was driving to work. I was listening to a radio station that was playing Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, and the Doors etc.... Then as it went to commercial the radio station announced that they were our local only OLDIES radio station. I am only 40 years old and I have to say that there is a definite line between Classic Rock and the Oldies!! I was floored! Now in your opinion, what would you consider these groups to be???

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    totally classic rock! i consider oldies to be "golden oldies"--music from the 50s/60s. i have a soft spot for oldies--my fave genre of music! i may be 29 but i've been listening to them since i was a little kid. i feel like i could have easily lived in that time.
  • AnitaRose72
    Options
    My son is 19 and he absolutely loves classic rock! He doesn't consider Oldies as well. I wonder if I should complain to the radio station!! LOL
  • HuskyMan3
    HuskyMan3 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    classic rock hands down
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    Classic Rock, for sure. Our classic rock station has started playing Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots. I agree with the bands being classic rock, but it's too soon! Makes me feel old. LOL
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Labels for musical genres of radio stations and music playlists depend upon on how the Programming Manager of the station sees fits in order to sell advertising. That's why an Oldies station today isn't programmed the same as an Oldies station 20 years ago. That's why certain Classic Rock stations are playing Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots.

Many stations and the broadcasting conglomerates that own them don't think that a 1950s/early 1960s playlist is going to draw an audience that advertisers are eager to reach.

Radio is having a hard time finding its niche in the high speed Internet and iPod era, particularly stations that play music.
  • AnitaRose72
    Options
    I can see your point DM. I advertise for my business and advertising on the radio is the best way for us. It just irritates me that they are false advertising!
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Chuckling some! Oldies are what my dad listened to in the 40"s!!!! 50/60's are my music (I am 62) and anything into the 80,s is way too new In all genres (being ironic here and still chuckling)..

It is all relative, but I agree with the above poster that business definitions of "Oldies" differ with audience/age demographics!

I have an assertion that the music of our hormonal years stays with us and forms our tastes (not an absolute but generally). Hormonally imprinted music is what we revert to in most cases. JMHO :-)>
  • B1gH0g
    B1gH0g Posts: 361
    Options
    Agreed - Classic Rock. Lets take it a step further. I enjoy old black and white films with the likes of Cary Grant, Bogey and Bacall, so I watch AMC and Turner Classic Movies. Now I see 80's movies on these channels. Now I feel old.
  • AnitaRose72
    Options
    I feel like I have now been slapped in the face and told to "Wake UP, you are OLD!" LOL
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    I can see your point DM. I advertise for my business and advertising on the radio is the best way for us. It just irritates me that they are false advertising!

Media buying can be challenging. The buyer often has to do a lot of research. There are cases where radio buys make sense, and there are cases where it does not.
  • AnitaRose72
    Options

Media buying can be challenging. The buyer often has to do a lot of research. There are cases where radio buys make sense, and there are cases where it does not.

In my market it is a diverse question on advertising between radio and tv. In my perspective it tv advertising is not effective because of DVR's. Everybody, including myself, bypass commercials, unless it's the Superbowl, therefore not seeing our advertisement. But many people still listen to radio during driving times or in office.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I started listening to music when the Beatles arrived on the scene. So, for me, classic rock is from then through the 70s. There is no radio station in my city that plays just this time period alone any more. I really miss hearing all of the music I grew up with.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Classic Rock for sure. Oldies are more 50's early 60's stuff.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Face reality dude...the Doors was like 1967...thats 45 years ago isnt it? When I was a kid in the 1970s we were calling 50s music oldies...so yeah, we are old. Oh well, still great music but some great music from today too!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Classic Rock, for sure. Our classic rock station has started playing Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots. I agree with the bands being classic rock, but it's too soon! Makes me feel old. LOL

Yes this! My nephew views Nirvana and Pearl Jam as Classic rock...what????
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    In my view, "classic rock" is any rock music from 1965 to 1979.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Classic rock is my favorite. Kind of scary thinking nirvana and bands in the 90's are starting to fall under that category now. Huge Pink Floyd fan too, I wasn't lucky enough to see the band play live together but I have seen Roger Waters do Darkside of the moon and the Wall, and both were incredible.
  • DMZ_1
    Options

In my market it is a diverse question on advertising between radio and tv. In my perspective it tv advertising is not effective because of DVR's. Everybody, including myself, bypass commercials, unless it's the Superbowl, therefore not seeing our advertisement. But many people still listen to radio during driving times or in office.

About two years ago, I wrote a lengthy guest blog post about the irrational fear of the DVR that most brand marketers have. The DVR is not going to kill television advertising.

I can buy the idea of radio listening during driving times. However, this may be declining because a lot of the newer cars are iPod compatible. Also, older cars have CD players and if you want to avoid commercials, pop a music CD in. I'm sure there's a segment of the market still doing that. I'd guess radio listening in the office is done on a smaller scale. Depends on the company.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Classic rock is my favorite. Kind of scary thinking nirvana and bands in the 90's are starting to fall under that category now. Huge Pink Floyd fan too, I wasn't lucky enough to see the band play live together but I have seen Roger Waters do Darkside of the moon and the Wall, and both were incredible.

I am old enough to have seen them sometime, somewhere....if I did I sure people would have told me what a good time we had.....

Old Joke but with some bit of truth.....:-)>
  • AnitaRose72
    Options
    What is funny about this whole situation is that many teenagers are listening to "OUR" classic rock and actually enjoy it. It has been amazing watching all the genres of music that have passed thru the years and yet classic rock still rules...