Distractions

ccdo
ccdo Posts: 217
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
any tips on how i can distract myself for snackin please :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    instead of reaching for chips or cookies ... grab a cheese stick , fruits or veggies ....you can do it ..... GOOD LUCK
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    10 Tiny Changes for Big Weight Loss
    By Chalene Johnson, creator of Turbo Jam®
    Turbo Jam® trainer Chalene Johnson recommends taking baby steps to eat healthier. If you "slip," get immediately back on track. Never let a vacation or a special holiday be an excuse to overdo it the entire time. Go ahead, enjoy the occasional indulgence, but keep it reasonable. Here are 10 tiny changes you can make for big weight loss.

Wait 2 minutes. Cravings will disappear after two minutes if you walk away and turn your attention elsewhere.

W.I.W.M. When you really crave something unhealthy, answer this question: "What do I Want More," that piece of chocolate cake, or a body I feel proud of? And on rare occasions, it's okay to pick the chocolate cake!

No one's perfect. Don't allow one bad choice to result in bingeing the rest of the day, or falling back into old habits.

Focus. Make eating purposeful, not something mindless to do while watching TV, driving, or sitting in front of the computer. Whenever you put food in your mouth, try to engage all of the senses in the pleasure of nourishing your body.

Don't skip breakfast. Start eating a filling breakfast, but one that's lower in fat. It will help you eat fewer total calories throughout the day.

Veggies. Most of your plate should have veggies and/or fruit on it at both lunch and dinner.

See what you eat. Eat your food off of a plate instead of straight out of a jar, bag, or box.

Don't buy it. Stop buying the food you snack on all day. Just eliminate the temptation.

Eat more fruit. A person who gets enough fruit in their diet doesn't have a raging sweet tooth.

Watch what you drink. Cut back on or cut out high-calorie drinks like soda, sweet tea, lemonade, and especially alcohol. People have lost weight by just making this one change.
  • ccdo
    Thanks very much will do that i just have to be strong for my weigh in tomorrow btw i love ur pic (profile) :flowerforyou:

thanks u Romba too i dont need to snack after reading ur tips phew was close :flowerforyou:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Have you tried to drink a glass of water when you want to start snaking? Fills the tummy a bit for a while. Sometimes it works but other times it is still hard. Brushing your teeth might help a bit also. I try to brush after every time I eat, then I don't eat more because of the tooth paste taste in my mouth. Mindless eating- bad! When I am sitting on the chair next to my man and he is snaking I sometimes go for the chips because of old habits then remember and drop the handful and try not lick my fingers :blushing:
  • ccdo
    Thanks will bear that in mind too :flowerforyou: ill drink water then for the night cold and that usually does help i just forgot that until u reminded me thanks :-)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    I chew gum if I want a snack. Actually, I only chew 1/4 of a stick at a time but it does help.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    If you're at home, brush your teeth! I never want to eat after I brush them. :happy:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Why do you feel the need to snack? Are you bored, stressed, tired or some other emotion? Is it real hunger or more mental? If it is mental hunger, you need to face what emotion you are feeling. I find that when I am stressed, my desire to eat is strong. I have to learn to deal with that emotion and then I don't feel that desire to eat.

If it is actual hunger, then I would have something small or else later on you might be more tempted to eat a lot to quell the hunger.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Chewing gum helps me.
  • ccdo
    Thanks u all so so much for ur tips ill buy gum
    tried brushin my teeth didnt work

goin to excercise and do eveyrthin to distract me as somoone said it could be emotions rather than hunger in itself so ill pass on snackin

thank you all :flowerforyou:
  • Agree with all the others.
    Also, when you're food shopping, go on a full tummy. I feel when I shop hungry, I seem to buy everything that looks nice! And then, when its in the cupboard, it will get eaten! So, if you go full, then you will only buy the essential foods, ie, fruit, milk, veg, meat etc, that you know you will need at some point.
    Hope that helps xx
  • Also, although the chewing gum one is a good distraction. It actually makes you more hungry in the long run, as your body gets used to continually eating.
  • ccdo
    ah i see thanks for the two vital tips im shoppin next week so full stomach and i wont eat gum then if it prolongs hunger in the long run dont want that thanks jazjazjaz :flowerforyou:
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Allow yourself many healthy snacks. Include some lean protein in each of them. Sort them out in the morning, and determine which you will eat at what time, and be sure to log it all on MFP then. If you have it all planned, it really helps.
  • ccdo
    thanks igmom :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.