Stupide Question: How to Like Veggies?

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    "Fresh Flavours of India" ~ Das Sreedharan.

Absolutely delicious recipes in here but if you can't be bothered with that then seasoning, herbs and spices are your friends.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    Options
    I love veggies, but can't stand how bland they can be.

I say roast in the oven or grill them. I know people who have hated veggies until they've been grilled.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    *sigh* Put your big girl pants on and eat your damned veggies! You're not 8 years old anymore.
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Toss them with olive oil and herbs and roast them for 40 minutes. If you haven't done that with brussel sprouts, you don't know what you're missing!!

This!!

I cut those small red potatoes into halves or fourths, throw them onto a baking sheet with some baby carrots, toss with some olive oil and rosemary/thyme/salt/pepper, put the oven at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. DE-LISH. Yummy with some condiments like sour cream or BBQ sauce, just don't forget to log the condiments too :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Your cat is a much better typist than any of mine. They tend to write like this:
    adlqpoj aq pgnkas-gn -bgrnqpn

That said... I buy bags of frozen vegetables and mix them with another food so they're hard to avoid and take on the flavor of the other food. IE, Rice A Roni or Knorr Rice Sides (which are high in sodium, but I don't care), or in with a pasta and sauce. Like Italian Blend vegetables in with ravioli and vodka sauce, or Peking Blend in with Teriyaki Rice. It makes me eat more vegetables and less of the starch, so it's a win-win.
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    lemon is awesome.. hummus is awesome on raw veggies and i like garlic powder on cooked ones
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Bolognase is fab with carrot and loads of mushrooms added.

Roasted beetroot is great, especially with a little bit of goat's cheese.

Stuff peppers with mince and quinoa, then grill or bake.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So I am committed to trying a new veggie every week (a SERIOUS downfall of mine).

The problem is I know I won't like them plain. I was going to get the steamfresh stuff so it is quick but I was wondering what I can put on them or how to make them more appealing.

I have green beans and snap peas coming up as examples. I should really give broccoli another try. Etc.

Suggestions?

EDIT: And of course the kitten helped me type so I have an "e" on stupid...*sigh*

OK - about green beans ..... my preference

Fresh - steamed are the bomb. I bring them to work & use a Glad Simply Cooking bag. I add 1 teaspoon of water & a sprinkle of salt. Cook 3:30 minutes and season with butter when done. Nicely firm (not crunchy) texture.

Canned (I know) - you can rinse the salt off & eat these cold (better in cold salad recipes).

Frozen - these are kind of nasty - it's a texture thing. If these are way overcooked - I can overlook the texture. If you have to use frozen green beans, try french cut ones. They are not so "water logged." & squishy.

Snap peas - I like to start with fresh & lightly steam them or add to asian stir fry. Frozen snap peas are not best texture because (in my opinion) they are already over cooked.

Broccoli - Frozen / fresh / raw / roasted...it's all good. You can steam lightly, cool & add to cold salads. Asian flavors are good with broccoli (chicken & ginger stir fry).
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    dips: hummus, mustard, sour cream

i know you don't like them plain, but some are seriously good plain.

pe-portioning: if i have peeled, washed, and cut my carrots. i will bring them to work with me. if i haven't, they will sit in the fridge till they are ugly looking.

put veggies in everything, this morning i wanted to make myself an egg mcmuffin, so i scrambled an egg with a handful of spinach (love spinach). put carrots and spinach into everything.

good luck!!!
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    There is no ONE exact recipe that will make you like veggies.

I disagree, the one exact recipe that will make you like veggies is to dip them in chocolate; of course, that probably defeats the purpose of eating them in the first place.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    dice up some garlic and onion with a tablespoon of olive oil and simmer them in that....that is what I always do and htey come up great..

or take green beans, onions, red/yellow/green pepper and saute them all together...with olive oil and garlic..
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Is is texture you don't like? Or taste?

I used to think I hated veggies, but over time I started trying different ways to cook them, season them, etc. I also tried lots of different things. If it's texture, then you can try eating them raw or steamed or roasted, etc. If it's taste, then you can try them with various dips, sauces, even puree or add them to soups/casseroles. Variety is everything, as well as trying to get things in season when the flavor is at a peak.

Good luck!

In most cases taste. I don't like the "earthy" taste of a lot of root veggies like carrots. It is like a "zing" or something. Hard to explain.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I find that chopped raw spinach tastes good mixed into just about everything...meaning, you really can't tell it's there. Also, broccoli is really good as long as it's not raw.

There are a lot of good suggestions on here for roasting vegetables. You can also steam them and add a small amount of butter. That's how I always ate vegetables as a kid, and a little butter every day is fine. Just don't use that processed plastic margarine crap, use real butter. Measure out a teaspoon and put it on steamed veggies.
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options

Treat yourself like a baby... try one new thing for a few days in a row, perhaps different ways, and learn to like it :flowerforyou:

That's the plan! The kids eat ANYTHING I feed them veggie or otherwise so I just gotta treat myself the same way I did them.
  • sixrings
    sixrings Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    on someone else's plate
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The more you eat 'em the more you will like them!! Keep on trying new veggies and new cooking methods and something will stick. I love my veggies lightly seasoned w/ seasoned salt or other spices and tossed on the BBQ grill for a few minutes!! Yum Yum grill marks!
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    dice up some garlic and onion with a tablespoon of olive oil and simmer them in that....that is what I always do and htey come up great..

or take green beans, onions, red/yellow/green pepper and saute them all together...with olive oil and garlic..

I love red pepper so that might be a good way to try green beans.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Salsa is YOUR FRIEND! Low in calories, high in flavor! I eat cauliflower and broccoli raw, with a good dose of salsa for dipping. Also, Edamame is quite good - and lots of soy protein to boot!

Good luck!

- Seve

hhmmm, I never thought of salsa. Gonna have to try that...I love hot and spicey foods.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    differences-ranch-dressing-ranch-dip-1.1-800x800.jpg

There are veggies under that ranch.. I swear!

Ok Ok, snarkiness aside, it is all about how you prepare them and the seasoning you use!
  • Rledwards2011
    Rledwards2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like most veggies, however, I recently purchased a juicer and absolutely love making juice with them. For instance, this morning I threw in 2 tomatoes, 1 cucumber, 1 lemmon, 3 carrots, and 6-10 asparags spears. I know it sounds gross, but it was yummy.