Sugar HELP!

Options
No matter what I do, I am ALWAYS over my sugar. And its from my yogurts or half a banana... and sometimes a cookie here or there... but I am beg. to think, this is what may be my BIGGEST issue in weight lose!! I always stay within my calories and I am drinking more water then ever....... and working out. . . How do you stay under your sugar? UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHH haha Just trying to figure it out!

Replies

• mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    Fruit and natural milk sugars are okay, and for the most part, if you just consume these, you may only be a little over. The culprit is usually ADDED sugar which is common in many types of yogurt.

A recommendation (and a mighty tasty one it is) is to buy plain yogurt - be it Greek or regular - and prepare it with fresh/canned fruit or other toppings - low sugar jams, canned pumpkin, spices, etc. If you still need some sweetness, try a natural low-cal sweetener like stevia.

I still have some flavored yogurt here and there, but I've been finding I like the plain stuff + toppings better. Plus, it's a big savings to buy one large container of plain yogurt vs. 5 small containers.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Sugar can be a diet killer I think..two of the girls at work, the "skinny girls" watch what they eat religiously and rarely eat anything that has sugar in it. I'm not saying that that is the right thing to do, but it works for them. About six months ago my hubby and tried the first two weeks of the Southbeach diet and what that is about is essentially cutting out sugars and white carbs..and we lost weight.
    My only suggestion would be to substitute in an egg or two during the week, rather than yogurt and fruit. This is hard for me too, I love fresh fruit and yogurt and would eat it every day. But in an effort to round that sugar out, I've been making an effort to eat egg breakfasts several times a week.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much always over too. I am not diabetic, and I don't eat like 100g a day or anything, so I don't really worry about it. Not that that really helps...:bigsmile:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and as the poster above me mentioned - greek yogurt! I love that stuff. I sprinkle some sucranat or stevia on it with a bit of fresh fruit or granola and I'm good to go. I love that it is thicker too.
  • pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks guys for these posts, they were very informative. I try to "watch" what I eat, but do not pay enough close attention to the sugars when I log in. I reset my diary setting to include it.

Thanks also for the yogurt "tub" suggestion. Had not thought of buying a larger container and adding my own favorites.

Have a good weekend!
  • rrlucero
    Options
    100% agree on buying the plain yogurt (Greek yogurt, if you can find it, delish!). The small individual size yogurts that claim "no fat" or "low fat" with fruit at the bottom....well, the less fat that's added, the more SUGAR they add to make it taste half-way decent for the public to want to buy them.

Sugar is by far my demon and achilles tendon. Natural sugars you get in fresh fruit is definitely not the same as the refined sugars you will get with processed packaged food.

Keep up with the natural sugars and definitely stay away from the small "no fat" yogurts, they pack in the sugars like nobody's business!
  • jpeach
    jpeach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I buy Fage Plain Yogurt and flavor with stevia and vanilla extract for a snack. For other snacks (which I am allowed), I eat raw nuts like almonds or cashews, Designs for Health Paleo Bars, hummus with veggies, and even avocado with hummus. I limit my fruit intake to one/day and my starches to two servings/day.
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    I actually just looked at this today after reading this, and I'm always waaaay over the sugar guide.

But I think 33 grams of sugar a day is kind of silly, either way.

I understand why I've been over, since I've been cheating a little getting used to my diet.

I'm not worried though, I'll be watching that a little closely now though, and eating better.

No more gingerbread for me though haha.
  • justforme8
    justforme8 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for your respones!!! I am going to get the plain yogurt and go from there!!!! thanks again!!