C25K

Options
I just started Couch to 5k today. I made it half way through and threw up so I finished out the last 10 minutes walking, came home and did my weight training circuit. Does anyone have any advice to help me through the first couple weeks of this C25K? I know its going to get easier but right now it sucks.

Replies

• telizad
    telizad Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I too started C25K last week and the first day was bad. My problem is that I was trying to run too fast. Start off slow and adjust the speed as you learn what form is best for you. Concentrate on learning to breathe correctly while running. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you have to. I am doing week 1 for the 2nd week in a row and will move to week 2 next week. Make sure you have proper shoes. Try to keep yourself hydrated. Stick to it, don't give up. It does get better.

Question: Did you eat before you started? Try to eat a small snack about an hour or so before starting. Any sooner, it may have not digested properly. I'm no expert, just talking from experience.

Hope this helps!
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just started week 4. The first day I thought I was going to die! I got through it...barely. It did get easier the next couple of times. This week is a definite challenge for me. I hope it gets easier!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Slow down. I loved C25K cause it helped me so I didn't push myself so hard-which was my problem before when I'd try to run. Go slow, it doesn't matter how fast your pace is or isn't. Your body will get used to it once you do it a bit. I agree about the eating info-if I'm running in the afternoon, I won't eat for about 3 or so hours before (I'm ok with less but with work, that's the time that typically happens for me) but in the mornings, I run without eating anything. Good luck!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I did not have a problem until week 4. I completed it but will be repeating.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I tried to start C25K a few weeks ago. My legs and knees were not ready for it. On the advice of a couple of runners, I've been power walking, and will continue to do so for a couple more weeks before I try again. They figured I was trying to do too much, too fast (for someone who really did no exercise in the last few years).

I'm building up some cardio stamina, and getting my legs more prepared for trying again.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    slow down. Don't lift on the same day you run.
    Don't' eat right before.

Eventually your going to have to deal with hydration. I would say have a glass of water an hour before you go.

If you need to walk just walk, then repeat the next time. you are pushing yourself way to hard if you are throwing up on week 1.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K, and can remember my first week clearly. I thought I was going to DIE on week 1. But I just took it at a slow pace and increased my pace as I moved on to the next week. Just stick to it! It will get more doable and you will start loving it. Repeat weeks if you need to, I repeated week one, four and week six several times.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I started this program 3 months ago....I was DYING the first day! I am a smoker (I know...I know), but consider myself relatively fit. I had NEVER been a runner, but a bunch of the ladies at my bootcamp were doing a bunch of super fun races like Spartan Race, Mud Hero, etc. I really wanted to do them too, but no way I would be able to finish the 5k-7k circuit!

So....I started C25k and am HOOKED!! I LOVE it! so much so, that I was running almost every day. I'd repeat runs and would progress each week. Each run got easier and easier. It was such a thrill to see progression so quickly! I had some hip pain so spent some time googling proper running form and worked on tweaking my stride, etc. No I'm virtually pain free...even with 7 year old running shoes! (Need to get onto buying some new ones!)

I found however that coming into week 7, I had a couple of bad runs. Overdoing it, coupled with not eating enough was the culprit for me. I was so discouraged. Thought that I wasn't going to get any better. I upped my calories, took a couple of days' break from running, and then went out for w7d3...and NAILED IT!! It was the most exhilerating feeling! It felt amazing and was so easy! Could have gone a lot longer!

Now I only run every other day or so....and try not to run on bootcamp days. Sometimes I have so much energy or have a big dinner planned so I'll go out for a bit so I can get the extra calories. lol

When I'm not doing a long run, I will take my daughter to the park and do interval sprints for fun around the playground while she plays with the other kids. Stick with it....I remember a quote I'd heard way back and it sticks with me to this day.

"your run starts when you forget that you're running"

It really does happen eventually and it's amazing!! Happy running!!!
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Start off slow and adjust the speed as you learn what form is best for you. Concentrate on learning to breathe correctly while running. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you have to. ... Make sure you have proper shoes. Try to keep yourself hydrated. Stick to it, don't give up. It does get better.

^this is perfect advice...I'm at the end of week 6.

Work on endurance (taking it slow), and speed will come.

Lift on your C25K off days.
  • crastatter86
    crastatter86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I loved C25K! I just finished! So the key is...take it slow. For the first week, maybe two, focus on your breathing and your form. Then later on as you increase time you can increase speed. Don't worry about speed and time right now, because if you're just starting out it can seem like you can't get anywhere without being out of breath. A lot of people always say to breath in your nose and out your mouth, but I found it much easier to just be a mouth breather as gross as that sounds :) . Don't try to make big strides especially if you are tall like I am, that will ruin you too. Take strides that are short and quick and make sure your feet land under your hips, not out in front of you. And making sure your posture is good too can also help. Hunching over and rotating your shoulder's forward can constrict your airflow (making it harder to breathe). This isn't a sprint, it's a slow steady journey. Slow and steady wins the race! Good luck in your running!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Without any more info, I can guess that you were probably jogging way too fast. Start off at a pace that seems impossibly slow. Let the speed come later, AFTER your muscles have been trained to endure the length of time.

Endurance > speed

C25k is *JOGGING* not RUNNING! :smile:

Congratulations for starting. I am on week 8 and I love it!
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Actually it's going to get harder. :bigsmile: But you CAN do it. Keep your pace nice and slow while you're figuring it all out and getting your 'runner's legs'. It's a challenge, but I PROMISE you it's worth it. Good luck!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Don't sprint your intervals. The key to building your ability to run is first finding your form and pace. You'll build speed and endurance over time, but the importance when just starting is running (jogging) fast enough to push yourself but not to the point where you'll pass out or puke. Slow down a bit and if you have a heart rate monitor aim for a jogging rate that keeps your heart rate around 150-180. Usually above 185 too long is where you start to get sick
  • RachelNHarrison
    Options
    You might be running too fast. I'm currently using the Mayo Clinic schedule which is similar (http://www.mayoclinic.com/images/pdfs/fsm14_5K_run.pdf). The only problem I had was knee pain so I eased up on the speed a little and started taking more glucosamine:smile: .
  • MissMousieNicole
    Options
    Thank you so much for the support and advice.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If I eat less than an hour before, I don't do as well. I hydrate well during the day, keep my proteins and carbs up and do as much as I can. I run about 4.5-5mph and have no qualms about repeating weeks. The first few weeks were okay, but week 5 has handed me my pudgy butt like nothing else.

Don't worry about speed yet. That will come. Jog slower if you need to to get through the jogging parts and start to go faster as you can do it. This is building endurance!

This is for YOU and something new, so just keep it up and see where it takes you! I ran 15 minutes straight for the first time ever in my life last night. Last month I couldn't run 5 minutes without feeling like dying. It gets better! Just keep doing!
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i started the C25K back in May and completed it in August. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done, but also the most rewarding! I had never run before in my life, with the exception of sports in school, and now I can run for three miles with no problems, sometimes more. Things I have learned along the way:
    1 - Start off slow. Don't try to go too fast at first. You will feel like your lungs are on fire and your legs will feel like jelly! Even now, I start off slow and work on my speed after a mile or so.
    2 - I go really early in the morning (4:00 or so) so I don't eat anything before I go. I do, however, drink a glass of water. Doing this makes it so I don't have to bring a bottle of water on my run. I feel fine and hydrated for the entire run.
    3 - Wear good shoes! This made all the difference in the world for me. I started off wearing crappy cheap shoes. I eventually invested in a good pair of running shoes. I did not go to a running store to get fitted only because I did not want to drop a bunch of money on something I didn't know if I would stick with. Since I am still running (its a miracle) I may look into getting fitted.
    4 - Have some good tunes! Great music makes a big difference for me when I am on a run. I finally created a play list for my running days. I was tired of always having to skip to the next song in my IPOD if a song came on that was too slow. Find songs that will help you keep pace.
    5 - I just started bringing tissues with me. During the summer, I did not have a runny nose problem. Now that it is cooler, my nose seems to run a lot on a run. Yes, I'm sure I look goofy blowing my nose while running, but it beats using my shirt sleeve!
    6 - HAVE FUN, go at your own pace, and know that you are taking a huge step in becoming healthy by taking up running!

Happy Running!!
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Def take it slow in the beginning. I seriously CANNOT eat at least 2 hours prior to almost any exercise, especially running! I started the program because i wanted to start doing all the fun runs with friends and family (Warrior Dash, The Color Run, etc), i've never been into running or considered myself a runner (as a fit soccer playing teenager i loathed running long distances!), but i've become addicted to say the least. I will be running Week 4 Day 3 tonight which puts me at exactly halfway to completion and being able to run a 5K! I haven't had to repeat any weeks yet but Week 4 day 2 was brutal but i pushed through. Don't underestimate yourself, you will discover you are WAY stronger than you ever imagined. I may not be fast, but i'm finishing and that's amazing if you ask me!! Good Luck and stick with it, you will be so glad you did :bigsmile:
  • pearceda
    pearceda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body...me and my wife staretd this last year and we took it slow and staedy and we are now are both competing in races on a regular basis. I just completed a 8k in 45 minutes...something I am really proud of.

You will feel terrible some days and great on others, that is normal, but if you are throwing up that is not good, so just start out slowly and work your way up to it.

I also don't eat for a couple of hours before a run, but make sure you are hydrated. I usually will have some fruit afterwards, bananas and blue berries are great.

We just started our daughter in on it as well, as she is playing soccer now and her coach wants them to be able to run 5 kms. We are letting her set the pace and just keep offering words of encouragement to get her out and running.
  • yfields
    Options
    I started this morning. I was expecting it to be easy but it sure wasn't.

I loved the voice telling me when to switch from a brisk walk to a run and what my stats were. Really kept me on track. Almost like I didn't want to disappoint the voice. hahaha

Was a great start to my Friday and a mood booster and look forward to picking up again Monday. If I'm reading it correctly the plan is 3 days a week. I only started on a Friday because well "there is no better time to start then now!"