Looking for a Chili Recipe

Options
Does anyone have a great chili recipe that can be used for taco salad. Looking for one with no meat in it.

Replies

• Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    What no meat!!! Chili would be lonely without meat

I guess you could just add beans, tomatoes and one of those chili spice packets. It still feels like something is missing...
  • AnnMombourquette
    Options
    I was trying to keep it more veggies but after I thought about it for a while, think I'm going to add meat. Want to make taco salad for lunches this week. Just delicious and so filling.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Not sure how it would work for taco salad...but this is what I do for chili...for taco salad i would probably remove some of the liquid.

All of this goes in a crock pot

1.5 to 2 lbs lean ground beef (90 or 93%) that has been browned with one diced onion (whichever color you prefer)
    two cans of drained or rinsed low sodium kidney beans
    one can of drained or rinsed low sodium black leans
    one tablespoon chili powder
    one tablespoon chipotle chili powder
    one can drained diced chili tomoatoes
    one can drained diced regular tomatoes
    refrigerated minced garlic or fresh pressed garlic to taste (we use the refrigerated and about 3 tablespoons or more)
    salt and pepper to taste (we dont use any)
    equal parts of 1) low sodium organic tomato and red pepper soup from trader joes and 2)low sodium v8 or tomato juice - how much depends on how thick you want it. remember it will get more liquidy when it cooks

turn it on low in slow cooker in the morning and let it cook all day...eat for dinner with a little reduced fat cheese on top, add scallions if you like or chives too after cooking.
  • norcalgirl21
    norcalgirl21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just made chili this week too! I used one based off of this recipe: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/three-bean-chili-10000001696625/ Here's how I do it! (I was out of bell pepper, which I don't love anyways, so I tossed in a zucchini instead and it was delicious!) It makes six 2 cup servings that are a little over 300 calories each.

Three-Bean Chili
    (aka. Dragon Soup)
    *And don’t forget the corn bread!*

2 tsps olive oil
    1 cup onion - chopped
    1/2 cup green bell pepper - chopped
    2 garlic cloves - pressed
    3/4 cup water
    2 tbls tomato paste
    2 tsps chili powder
    2 tsps ground cumin
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 can chili beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 package of veggie crumbles
    1 can corn, rinsed and drained
    1 can organic vegetable broth
    1 can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 tbl yellow cornmeal

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup water and next 10 ingredients (through diced tomatoes); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes. Stir in cornmeal; cook 2 minutes.

**Make sure to mix in cornmeal slowly or it “cooks on impact” and does not thicken the chili as it should.**

Yield: About 6 servings

*From Cooking Light, January 2008*

Corn Bread

Preheat Oven to 400°

2 cups corn meal
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    2 tbsp baking powder
    2 tsps salt
    2 cups milk
    2/3 cup olive oil
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, oil, eggs in small bowl; mix well. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Pour into prepared 13 X 9 pan.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm. *Or until beginning to become golden brown on top**

Yield: 12 servings

**Cut sugar in half if you like it less sweet**
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i forgot to mention that I will add some of the following:

steam of the crop santa fe medley (corn, onions, black beans, red peppers, green peppers)

westpac southwest blend (red and green peppers and onions)
  • AnnMombourquette
    Options
    Thanks guys!!!! I actually have some in the crock pot as we speak. Just got back on the computer as we had a virus but will definitely try the ones you guys posted! I love having soups and chilis during the fall and winter months. Comfort foods. Just want to have them healthy.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=743153

Not a chili recipe, but it's a taco filling which I think would still work well for you. Maybe think about it for the next time you want to make it. Definitely watch it, though. I usually have to add water to it.
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    basically i use lean ground turkey, whatever kind of beans you like (kidney), or you can find 'chili beans' that are seasoned in a sauce), toss in a can of fire roasted tomatoes (with chilis and garlic already in the can), then throw in whatever veggies you like (i use: onion, mushroom, bell pepper, corn, black beans)...

cook it all up and you're done! with using the chili beans and fireroasted tomatoes it really gives it a nice kick (i'm not a huge spicey food fan at all but this is nice). i like to garnish with some sliced avocado and some cilantro on top (and cheese if you like!)