Hard Boiled Eggs

Dumb question...
How do you go about hard boiling eggs? Do you boil the water, then put the eggs in? For how long? Or do you start with cold water, put your eggs in and then bring to a boil?

I know this sounds like a really dumb question... but when I just paid $4/doz for free range organic eggs I don't want to screw them up.

Thanks.

Replies

• molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    I put them in right away and leave them for 20 minutes.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    I actually looked it up online before easter this year. Was very helpful and the eggs came out better than ever!

Google it! seriously. :)
  • I start with cold water, bring it to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, then remove them from the heat, cover the pan and wait one hour. Dump the hot water, run cold water over the eggs to cool them, then dry them off and put them in the fridge. Just my way. I have seen different ways. But start with cold water, so the shells don't crack right away.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    1) put eggs in pot
    2) fill pot with water
    3) put on stove
    4) turn stove on medium to high heat

(this is the part that gets tricky)

5) when eggs start to boil some people let them boil for 5 mins, some people let them boil for 10 mins. Some people will chime in and say you need to add baking soda or salt to the water.

6) remove eggs from stove (some people rinse with cold water)

**important : remember to turn stove off!!

7) peel eggs

8) eat those yummy eggs

It is all pretty complicated but you will master it. :flowerforyou:
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    I start off with cold water. Bring them to the boil....for soft, 4 mins, for a bit more solid about 6 and for hard boiled 8-10...
    Look up coddled eggs- done in the oven, some people like them done that way...
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    My husband is a MASTER at hard boiling eggs.

Start with the eggs in cold water. Heat on medium until a rolling boil then set your timer for 10 minutes. When 10 minutes is up, dump the hot water and add cold water and ICE. You want them in ICE water. This helps separate the membrane from the egg white and makes them SO much easier to peel! Let them sit for a while....at least 10 - 20 minutes until they're cold. Peel...eat. We boil at least a dozen at a time using this method!
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Easiest way I have found is

1. Put eggs in pot
    2. Add water just to cover eggs
    3. bring to a boil
    4. Remove from heat
    5. Cover and let stand 17 minutes
    6. dump hot water and shake eggs around in pan to break shells (allows the cold water in and separates the "egg skin" from the egg
    7. add cold water
    7. Let sit for 15 min.
    8. Will peel very easily

This way always works for me and are super easy to peel
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    My method is: put eggs in pan with cold water covering them; put pan over pretty high heat; after they reach a rolling boil turn OFF burner and COVER the pan with a lid; wait about 12 minutes; rinse with cool water to cool the eggs.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    1) put eggs in pot
    2) fill pot with water
    3) put on stove
    4) turn stove on medium to high heat

(this is the part that gets tricky)

5) when eggs start to boil some people let them boil for 5 mins, some people let them boil for 10 mins. Some people will chime in and say you need to add baking soda or salt to the water.

6) remove eggs from stove (some people rinse with cold water)

**important : remember to turn stove off!!

7) peel eggs

8) eat those yummy eggs

It is all pretty complicated but you will master it. :flowerforyou:

this ^^^ I am a 10 min boil person and then I put them right in cold water, I think it makes it easier to peel
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    My husband is a MASTER at hard boiling eggs.

Start with the eggs in cold water. Heat on medium until a rolling boil then set your timer for 10 minutes. When 10 minutes is up, dump the hot water and add cold water and ICE. You want them in ICE water. This helps separate the membrane from the egg white and makes them SO much easier to peel! Let them sit for a while....at least 10 - 20 minutes until they're cold. Peel...eat. We boil at least a dozen at a time using this method!

This is exactly what I do, too!

I've heard that it's better to use slightly older eggs (closer to expiry) for hard-boiled, otherwise the shells are very hard to remove.
  • Silly yes. I guessed when I did mine.
    I put the water int he pot with the eggs, and let them "cook"/boil for 30 mins then take them out and let them sit in cold water for .. well untill I feel like peeling them.

The peel comes off SO easy with this method! Lol

OH add salt to the water!
  • Ive been doing boiled eggs for awhile and the best way to do them is put them in the water, and when the water comes to a boil,, shut the stove off and let them it there for 20 min, leave the pot on the eye. They will peel easily and will make the perfect boiled egg.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I start with cold water, bring to a boil, and when the eggs start to float, they should be done- takes around 5 minutes once the water is boiling, sometimes longer, but you don't want to drop the eggs into already-boiling water because it can crack the shells.
  • I put them in the water first and then bring to a boil for 5 mins. let the eggs sit in the water for another 5 mins. run cold water over them, they will be easier to peel.
  • Bring eggs to a boil. Turn off heat, cover and let them sit for 10 mins. Then run cold water over them and let them sit. PERFECT eggs!
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    My husband is a chef and he taught me to cook them this way:

1) put eggs in pan and fill pan with cold water until the water just covers the eggs
    2) put pan on stove with heat on high
    3)when water starts to boil, set your timer for 10 minutes
    4) whent the timer goes off, take the pan off the stove and start to run cold water into the pan while you dump the hot water out
    5)dump a bunch of ice into the pan to stop the cooking process ( this prevents the eggs from getting that nasty gray ring on the outside of the yolk
    6) They're usually cool enough to egg in 5- 10 minutes

***he also advises adding a tbsp of white vinegar to the water to prevent the eggs from cracking and leaking in to the water
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Easy test: when the shell dries immediately when you lift it out of water, it is soft boiled ready for eggy soldiers.

For Hard boiled, leave it in the water for a further minute.

Just like me mum taught me many eaons ago!
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    I just put them in water and leave them in until the water comes to a rolling boil. Once that happens I leave them in for a minute or two, then turn off the heat, cover the pot and let them sit in the water for another 10-12 minutes.

To make them easier to peel, don't use fresh eggs...older eggs work better for boiling and definitely toss them into an ice bath once you take them out.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    For boiled eggs to be so simple there are so many ways to boil them, you will get a different answer from everyone.