I'm A Newbie

Options
Hello, this is my first week using the site and so far I love it! I'm married and a mother of three children. In my high school years, I was involved in every sport and very actice with dance. Now, I never have time for myself but I'm trying to change that! I came to MFP hoping to gain support and advice from those who can relate to what I'm going through. I'm addicted to sweets and love food. My husband thinks I just need to have more "will power", but it's so much more than that. I'm an emotional eater and have a real problem. I've struggled over the years with various diets, but what I needed was a complete lifestyle makeover. My daughter asked me a few weeks ago if I was going to live a long time and I didn't know how to respond. Her concern was exactly what I needed to get motivated.

I promised myself that I would start eating healthy, fresh, organic (if possible) foods and avoid sugar. Today is DAY 5 and I've already lost 2 pounds. However, I'm concerned about how I'm going to stay on track long-term because I tend to get bored easily. Also I'm not the best at coming up with healthy, low-cal snack/meal ideas, so if anyone has suggestions that would be great!

I'm excited!

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    HEy! Welcome! You will LOVE MFP... I would have already quit a while ago if it were not for the encouragement and motivation I get from MFP!!
    I, like you, get bored easy... BUT I have been sticking with this pretty consistenty for a while now... So, hang in there... YOu can do it!!
  • cdknmjk
    cdknmjk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU...exactly what I need...encouragement! I see you're doing great and I look forward to posting a loss of 19 pounds. Congrats and good job! Any secrets or tips you want to share?
  • madair801
    madair801 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I am a returnie that had lost about 8 pds within 2 weeks. I too get bored easily, but that isn't the reason I stopped doing MFP. My commute went from 45 minutes each way to almost 2 hours - daily so we eat really late. I now have access to a computer at work and at home so NO more excuses for me!! Even though I have been away for 5 months and now have added weight, I am motivated to get it back off!!

My point is....even if you struggle through a day or more it is better to never give up - especially if your health is at risk. Once you start seeing the changes in you, you won't want to go back. You will have much more energy for your kids too and that is a blessing!! Take care a stay strong!!
  • cdknmjk
    cdknmjk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you...and welcome back! I agree with you 100%. After 5 days of avoiding sugar, I can already feel the difference both physically and emotionally. I don't plan on giving up this time! Don't you give up either :)
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU...exactly what I need...encouragement! I see you're doing great and I look forward to posting a loss of 19 pounds. Congrats and good job! Any secrets or tips you want to share?

Use the food diary!! That is a big deal for me. When I am logging my food I do sooooo much better!!!