stupid stir fry! stupid cast iron skillet! stupid oil!

Options

Replies

• 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    the title of your post made me laugh. That's how I sound in the kitchen because I don't like cooking and get frustrated easily doing it lol
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    You can use water instead of oil, when everything starts to stick to your pan.
    Obviously do use a bit of oil to start with, to "oil the pan".
  • dmurphy1975
    dmurphy1975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cast iron pans properly seasoned don't require ANY additional cooking oil, nothing sticks to mine when they are properly pre-heated before adding any ingredients. Wipe clean with a rag, don't let ingredients sit in them to dry and need a scouring... season your pan!
    that said just try to convince the family who insist on greasing any pan including one they plan to cook bacon in...

I agree with this post. I have a great cast iron wok that weighs about 20 pounds, I get a strength workout while tossing the stir fry around.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    So the pan is a lodge, 14 inch cast iron skillet. The old fashioned kind. I can get a good seasoning on it but I often ruin it with veggies or doing a gravy for the kids. BC when I use some wine or orange juice the acid just cuts the coating right off. I can't seem to get a really properly seasoned skillet. I've had this one for 10 years? I use it every day for every thing.

I agree with the dude (sorry forgot your name and can't seem to scroll to find) that posted that you have to use oil. Cast Iron skillets require oil to stay properly seasoned and the oil that is used in said seasoning leaches into the food. You have to count that!

The reference to orgreenic is not a commercial. I am not a fan of teflon bc I hear it's not healthy so I got a 12 inch orgreenic and it does work better but still requires some oil. I think in reality it's just an aluminum pan coated with enamel but they market it as something remarkable. I don't know for sure though. But I'm definitely not trying to sell orgreenic pans, just planning to use it from now on bc I will definitely use less oil than the cast iron skillet.

I season my cast iron skillet often. I use a paper towel, rub the whole bottom and sides with coconut oil, turn it upside down and leave it at 350 for an hour. This works but does not stay bc I'm rough on it! The sides have a lovely hard seasoning but I'm too rough on the cooking surface I guess to get a good solid seasoning that can withstand acidic foods.
  • mearlie
    Options
    Meh, IMHO, a non-stick wok works best for this. Just sayin'...

Yes I need to get one of these! I'm "over" the cast iron thing!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Your cast iron pan should not be doing that if it was properly seasoned. Don't ever use soap on it and make sure it's well oiled after you wash it. You can put shortening on it and place it in the oven to season. Also, if you put in frozen veggies it might of got too much water at once. Good luck.
    Quote this for truth. Bought my Dutch oven 5 years ago, and seasoned it. I never have to use any kind of oil/fat/lard to cook with it now and cooks food perfectly. Season your cast iron, don't ever wash with soap. Wash with hot water, and then just wipe with a paper towel and re-oil after.
  • mearlie
    Options
    Your cast iron pan should not be doing that if it was properly seasoned. Don't ever use soap on it and make sure it's well oiled after you wash it. You can put shortening on it and place it in the oven to season. Also, if you put in frozen veggies it might of got too much water at once. Good luck.
    Quote this for truth. Bought my Dutch oven 5 years ago, and seasoned it. I never have to use any kind of oil/fat/lard to cook with it now and cooks food perfectly. Season your cast iron, don't ever wash with soap. Wash with hot water, and then just wipe with a paper towel and re-oil after.

I use it everyday for everything. This does NOT work for me. I just need a new pan for stir fry and making gravy
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

I use it everyday for everything. This does NOT work for me. I just need a new pan for stir fry and making gravy

Kidding about the ad thing. I just had to Google it because I'd never heard of those before. :tongue:

I think this is probably the way to go though. Different pans for different foods. I love my t-fal non-stick, since I can use a teaspoon or less of oil, but I know some people are concerned about chemicals leeching into food.
  • SarahSmiles2004
    SarahSmiles2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Like was said above, NEVER use soap on your skillet - NEVER - just hot water and a good bristled brush. Then oil back up again. You can look up ways to take care of your skillet. Check out the link below for Lodge on how to care for your skillet, seasoned or not their tips work.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-care-seasoned-cast-iron.asp#2
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You should not regret eating a good thing. As long as it was olive or avocado oil, not some crappy canola oil, those 240 calories went to a good use.
  • mearlie
    Options
    Good point on the oil and I didn't reach my target yesterday. That's why I was a bit generous with the safflower oil (I read somewhere it's good for peeps with PCOS so that's what I use for things like this). I just forgot how many calories! But thanks, you are right at least it's healthy!
  • mearlie
    Options
    capricious I just wanted to make sure noone thought I was trying to sell something!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Depending on type of oil used it can be healthy fats. High calories does not = bad. Coconut oil is amazing for this.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

This...proper care and your cast iron shouldn't stick at all.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    good site: http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-care.htm

for dutch ovens, but applies to all cast iron items.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

^^This

I don't even use cast iron because seasoning them is such a chore. I'm guilty of using Teflon, I admit it. I'll worry about whether or not they're good for me if I ever develop bowel cancer.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Even my orgreenic sticks!!!:noway: I HAVE seasoned it, but darn it if I can't cook an egg without the yolk breaking when I try to turn it over because it's STICKING TO THE BOTTOM!!!!!!!!!:explode:
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Teflon? Cast Iron? ... doesn't anyone use a good old fashioned microwave any more? :P
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    microwave makes a great saddle holder in the barn.

Cast iron all the way.
  • mearlie
    Options
    Even my orgreenic sticks!!!:noway: I HAVE seasoned it, but darn it if I can't cook an egg without the yolk breaking when I try to turn it over because it's STICKING TO THE BOTTOM!!!!!!!!!:explode:

Yes the orgreenic needs to be seasoned too and I understand your frustration. I KNOW all these other people are telling the truth, they have somehow managed to get a real coating on their pans. I keep screwing mine up bc I use it for EVERYTHING. Plus sometimes I over-heat and sometimes I under-heat. I'm very consistent at being inconsistent! bhahahaha