HRM

Options
Sooo, I've seen some conflicting things on here. DOes a HRM give accurate calorie burning for lifting (circuit training style)? I'm doing Chalean extreme.

Thanks

Replies

• mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I think you get somewhat of an accurate burn for the the time that you do the workout but I've heard there is also an after burn when you do strength training. I actually stopped wearing my HRM when I lift or when I did CLX's strength workouts. I have a BodyMediaFit so I still see my total burn at the end of the day and that's all I really need. I do still like to wear my HRM during cardio to see what gets my HR up.
  • mjj79
    Options
    I think you get somewhat of an accurate burn for the the time that you do the workout but I've heard there is also an after burn when you do strength training. I actually stopped wearing my HRM when I lift or when I did CLX's strength workouts. I have a BodyMediaFit so I still see my total burn at the end of the day and that's all I really need. I do still like to wear my HRM during cardio to see what gets my HR up.

OK. Thanks. Do you eat back exercise calories?
  • kikicooks
    Options

I don't have my calorie goal based on MFP's recommendations, I use a deficit from my TDEE, so exercise is included. If I was doing it that way I would eat back calories. I'm always hungrier after strength workouts anyway so I eat more and try to make it high in protein, gotta feed those muscles. :)
  • mjj79
    Options

I don't have my calorie goal based on MFP's recommendations, I use a deficit from my TDEE, so exercise is included. If I was doing it that way I would eat back calories. I'm always hungrier after strength workouts anyway so I eat more and try to make it high in protein, gotta feed those muscles. :)
    Thanks again! 1 more stupid question : What do you use the fitbit for? I mean, practically, how do you use the info it gives you?
  • kikicooks
    Options

Thanks again! 1 more stupid question : What do you use the fitbit for? I mean, practically, how do you use the info it gives you?
    I use a BodyMediaFit, not a FitBit but I think they are very similar. It shows me how many calories I burn a day. It also tracks how many steps I take and how efficiently I sleep. It is how I figured out my calorie goal, I use an average of my daily calorie burns then subtract 15% for my deficit.