Is undereating going to backfire on me?

Options
13»

Replies

• Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    Lots of good answers on here, but regarding fertility/amenorrhea

1) you're 22. You may (or may not) feel differently about having children in 10 yrs.

2) a women's cycle is important for our long term health...it's not just about fertility. I understand that in your 20s and even 30s it's hard to really worry about it...but amenorrhea is a fast track to really unfortunate conditions such as osteoporosis. Even if you never want kids, I assume you want to live a long, healthy life.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been rather solid and athletic my entire life. I did track and field as a thrower, and I never "bulked up" but I felt large and rather masculine. I'm tired of feeling that way.

I think the problem here involves your self image. You need to stop saying "I'm large and rather masculine". I looked at your picture and I certainly did not see that - I see a young thin woman. I think the majority here are giving you great advice, but you don't want to hear it. That's something we can't fix.

We've all seen so many images of famous people like Twiggy that we have chosen to believe that this is the image of beauty. I suspect most of the men here have not noticed any sort of masculinity in your picture. Frankly, some of the women here (like me) are waiting to hit the point of your skinniness and would be thrilled to be at 15% body fat. You definitely need to get over that and stop saying you're big and masculine - you are not!

If you want to drop the fat and become more athletic, you're going to have to eat more and you'll probably need to go get a fitness expert to help you train. Olympian athletes tend to have low body fat BUT I suspect they eat like mad and exercise like crazy (weight lifting, aerobics and more). If that's your goat, get a trainer whose used to training people to become triathletes and who might have knowledge on how to lower your body fat. Unfortunately (there may be some people here who do the triathletes route who could jump in here), I suspect you're going to be totally surprised at the food levels you'll need to eat to change that fat to lean muscle. I also suspect this process will take a while - it's not something that is a quick fix.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You need to keep it off too. What's the rush? You're setting your body up to rebound because it thinks you've been sick.

Don't you think people have done this before?
  • santanna935
    santanna935 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes and have to warn you, it will backfire. In high school I was really overweight, did Atkins and lost 60-70lbs. I became a vegetarian for 2 years and a runner and got thin and muscular. Im 5'10 and weighed about 160lbs when I was 21-22. I kept comparing myself with people who were thinner than me and I felt very self-concious about how I looked. I started eating a lot less and dropped another 10lbs. With my frame (large one) I looked super thin with protruding hip bones but very muscular arms and legs. I still felt fat so I ran more, excercised at the gym longer and slowly developed an eating disorder. I was bulimic for a year or so, my teeth became ruined and still I pushed myself. I'm 26 now, gained a lot of the weight back (thanks to pregnancy) but my objective for weight loss has changed. I'm no longer comparing myself with others who are thinner and smaller than me. I want to be thinner yes but I want to feel healthy and strong and set a good example for my kids. There is times where I struggle with the weight and feel self-concious but that's life.
    Long story short ask yourself why you want to be thinner. Is it for yourself? Yes eating less will allow you to lose muscle as well as fat, but what happens when you get there? Will you be satisfied? There are healthy alternatives to your goal.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I underate and overtrained. I was skinny fat....i was tired, moody and generally obsessive. I've started eating more, lifting heavier and have gained weight. However, i feel better in myself, i'm stronger and happier. I think to cut bodyfat now for me is harder as i spent so long undereating. I'm a PE teacher so generally on my feet for a lot of the working day. I was originally eating max 1000 calories a day. I have a heart rate monitor now and have realised i was probably burning 500-600 calories 5 times a week and eating 1000 calories. No wonder i was skinny....i was burning out. I now try and aim for at least 1500 caloires and am doing a 24hour fast one day a week. I'm still not sure i'm eating enough but i'm defo better at fueling my body. My body shape has changed a bit, more muscle for sure and not so 'weak' looking. When i realised how little i was eating before to suit my lifestyle it actually scares me.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Your body WILL rebel, by holding onto fat and eating away your muscle mass for energy, OR by sending out overpowering urges to binge on dense calorie foods.

Eat a sensible diet. Change your lifestyle. Its not a race! :smile:
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You seem to have made up your mind what you want to do because you have a response to everyones answer.
    By the way the vitamins your taking can actually be found.... IN FOOD!!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the poster who mentioned body image issues. I looked at your profile pictures and you look healthy and in proportion. You don't look 'bulky' or 'manly'. I am not just saying this to try and make you feel better or tell you what you want to do is stupid or dangerous, I am just saying it how I see it. You will always be a tall woman, that you cannot change, but you are not overweight, you don't look even anywhere near bulky too me. I think loosing muscle would be a bad bad idea and I don't think overall it will give you the look that you expect anyway.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm an inch shorter then you, and I currently weigh 150 with around 20% bodyfat. I lift 2-3 times a week, plus and I run, and I def. don't look big and manly.

The reason why you do, is because of extra body fat. So you need to preserve what muscle you do have, so that when you stop losing you can maintain better.

I lose eating between 1500-2000 calories a day... and could not imagine trying to live on 800 a day being that active and being taller.