I am a personal trainer

Options
13»

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    [No offense to the original poster, but Brandy, just because someone is certified in anything doesn't mean they know everything. I've talked to some CPTs in the pass and they didn't know they're a** from a hole in the ground. Anybody with some knowledge & a bit of experience can get certified for about $300.

Point of all this, be careful when asking for advice. ]

Wow... way to shoot someone down! I was simply trying to make him feel good about his accomplishments! I do realize that just because you have the training, not everyone knows how to use it well. I've also seen people with NO perfessional training know a lot. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of comments on here that don't seem legit and it's nice to see someone who actually has been trained in the area. You wouldn't hire a plumber to fix your electrical problem so why would you listen to someone who doesn't have training in the area of health and fitness. It's like wiping before you poop, it just doesn't make sence!

I TOTALLY agree on this and he wasn't putting the original poster down at all. Personal trainers can get certified in as little as 6 classes. I know this for a fact because I teach the class. Do I think they know everything that they should?? Probably not. I've seen some trainers out there that are TRAINWRECKS. I wanna scream at their clients to run as far away as they possibly can!

He was just saying that make sure your do your homework on whoever you are giving your hard earned $$$$ to as far as training goes.

Then that's what he should have said, Instead of coming accross like a Mr. Nasty a**, He also didn't bother to check to see if maybe there's other experience behind him, which there is. I'm a Can fit pro certified personal trainer, which is a $700. course that I have to keep upgrading, yes it was a relatively easy course to get through, but I also have a maters degree in Physical education, I also compete, I bring alot to the table beside my bargain basement can-fit pro certification. So maybe instead of critiquing others' lives, consider what suggestions or actions can be truly helpful.

Then you're NOT the norm as far as personal trainers go. I'm just reminding people to CHECK BACKGROUNDS before they go with anyone that has some sort of certificate. He wasn't even saying that the OP was a bad trainer. He was talking in GENERAL.

People get WAAAY too overly sensitive on these boards sometimes.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    [No offense to the original poster, but Brandy, just because someone is certified in anything doesn't mean they know everything. I've talked to some CPTs in the pass and they didn't know they're a** from a hole in the ground. Anybody with some knowledge & a bit of experience can get certified for about $300.

Point of all this, be careful when asking for advice. ]

Wow... way to shoot someone down! I was simply trying to make him feel good about his accomplishments! I do realize that just because you have the training, not everyone knows how to use it well. I've also seen people with NO perfessional training know a lot. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of comments on here that don't seem legit and it's nice to see someone who actually has been trained in the area. You wouldn't hire a plumber to fix your electrical problem so why would you listen to someone who doesn't have training in the area of health and fitness. It's like wiping before you poop, it just doesn't make sence!

I TOTALLY agree on this and he wasn't putting the original poster down at all. Personal trainers can get certified in as little as 6 classes. I know this for a fact because I teach the class. Do I think they know everything that they should?? Probably not. I've seen some trainers out there that are TRAINWRECKS. I wanna scream at their clients to run as far away as they possibly can!

He was just saying that make sure your do your homework on whoever you are giving your hard earned $$$$ to as far as training goes.

Then that's what he should have said, Instead of coming accross like a Mr. Nasty a**, He also didn't bother to check to see if maybe there's other experience behind him, which there is. I'm a Can fit pro certified personal trainer, which is a $700. course that I have to keep upgrading, yes it was a relatively easy course to get through, but I also have a maters degree in Physical education, I also compete, I bring alot to the table beside my bargain basement can-fit pro certification. So maybe instead of critiquing others' lives, consider what suggestions or actions can be truly helpful.

Then you're NOT the norm as far as personal trainers go. I'm just reminding people to CHECK BACKGROUNDS before they go with anyone that has some sort of certificate. He wasn't even saying that the OP was a bad trainer. He was talking in GENERAL.

People get WAAAY too overly sensitive on these boards sometimes.

ahahaha..including you! my post bugged you enough to not only respond but to use CAP LOCKS! lol! just making sure that we all don't get a bad rap, that's all...peace!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Congrats Dixon.

I haven't looked up what I need to do to be a PT, mostly because I'm not that good at that type of sales job. But it does interest me, because a lot of people have asked me about my weight loss, and told me that I have inspired them.

Good Luck.
    [/quote]
    a
    A note about the abbreviations: PT usually refers to a Physical Therapist, but AT-C refers to a Certified Athletic Trainer, which is what Dixon is (congrats Dixon!!) I just want to make sure we're asking Dixon for help on the right thing (as one PT to an AT-C) :smile: Congrats on your new career!!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    UMMMM.....actually you are wrong. Dixon is a CPT.....which is a certified personal trainer. A Certified athletic trainer is something that is TOTALLY different. Read my profile. It's NOT AT-C.....It's just ATC. I'm Krista Schweers, ATC.

I'm a certified athletic trainer who is working on her DPT (doctorate in physical therapy) AND her Masters in Sports Medicine. It blows me away that people still get this confused. People watch sports.......you see that athlete get hurt......the person who runs out on to the field is the certified athletic trainer.....NOT a personal trainer. I don't get paid to work people out. I get paid to prevent, recognize, evaluate and treat injuries.

I spent 4 years working on a BA in kinesiology, 1500 internship hours to be allowed to sit for my certification exam in athletic training, 12 years in the physical therapy industry AND got my teaching credential to teach sports medicine. I'm going to sit for the CSCS soon so I plan on having the whole freaking alphabet behind my name when I'm done with school!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

I don't mean to belittle the personal training community AT ALL and it definitely has it's props and it's place but I didn't do all that to be confused with a class that can be done in 6 weeks.

I'M SAYING SORRY TO ALL THE PERSONAL TRAINERS IN ADVANCE IF I HAVE OFFENDED ANYONE. I'm not a personal trainer.....I'm A FREAKING CERTIFIED ATHLETIC TRAINER!!!!! IT'S DIFFERENT!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! :)
  • xonophone
    Options
    UMMMM.....actually you are wrong. Dixon is a CPT.....which is a certified personal trainer. A Certified athletic trainer is something that is TOTALLY different. Read my profile. It's NOT AT-C.....It's just ATC. I'm Krista Schweers, ATC.

I'm a certified athletic trainer who is working on her DPT (doctorate in physical therapy) AND her Masters in Sports Medicine. It blows me away that people still get this confused. People watch sports.......you see that athlete get hurt......the person who runs out on to the field is the certified athletic trainer.....NOT a personal trainer. I don't get paid to work people out. I get paid to prevent, recognize, evaluate and treat injuries.

I spent 4 years working on a BA in kinesiology, 1500 internship hours to be allowed to sit for my certification exam in athletic training, 12 years in the physical therapy industry AND got my teaching credential to teach sports medicine. I'm going to sit for the CSCS soon so I plan on having the whole freaking alphabet behind my name when I'm done with school!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

I don't mean to belittle the personal training community AT ALL and it definitely has it's props and it's place but I didn't do all that to be confused with a class that can be done in 6 weeks.

I'M SAYING SORRY TO ALL THE PERSONAL TRAINERS IN ADVANCE IF I HAVE OFFENDED ANYONE. I'm not a personal trainer.....I'm A FREAKING CERTIFIED ATHLETIC TRAINER!!!!! IT'S DIFFERENT!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

My goodness, I had no idea how much ire a misplaced hyphen would cause! A thousand apologies to you - I wasn't trying to offend anyone here, just congratulate Dixon.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

My goodness, I had no idea how much ire a misplaced hyphen would cause! A thousand apologies to you - I wasn't trying to offend anyone here, just congratulate Dixon.

It wasn't the misplaced hypen.....it was getting personal trainers and athletic trainer mixed up. :wink:

Sorry for the rant.....I was a few glasses of wine deep last night! :laugh: :laugh::drinker: :drinker: It's a touchy subject for me! he he he.:bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

It wasn't the misplaced hypen.....it was getting personal trainers and athletic trainer mixed up. :wink:

Sorry for the rant.....I was a few glasses of wine deep last night! :laugh: :laugh::drinker: :drinker: It's a touchy subject for me! he he he.:bigsmile:

LOL, are you my lost sister Ice.? I was in LOVE with my trainer in high school. During football I would make up fake injuries on practice days just to go to the trainers room to be taped up. Course half the football team was so...
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

LOL, are you my lost sister Ice.? I was in LOVE with my trainer in high school. During football I would make up fake injuries on practice days just to go to the trainers room to be taped up. Course half the football team was so...

HA HA HA! Too funny. I've DEFINITELY had that experience. That's how I met my fiance! :tongue: He was a player on the hockey team I worked with and 6 years later I can't get rid of him! :wink: He used to come into the training room to get stretched out ALLLLLLL the time. The team ended up covering his stall with band-aids because they thought he was in the training room too much.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Dixon! :smile:
  • xonophone
    Options

You have a right to be touchy, you worked hard and deserve your accreditation, and I'm sorry if what I wrote belittled it in any way - I swear I didn't mean to! :flowerforyou: I admit I was posting after a couple of scotch soda's AND I was watching TV at the same time, so I wasn't exactly reading through all the posts as carefully as I usually do! If I was I would've (and should've) paid more attention to my posting! :drinker: :bigsmile:

BTW, where are you going for your DPT?