Shakeology, Body By Vi or Protein Shake??

Options

Replies

• ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Breakfast shakes are a great idea for choking down an inhuman amount of protein before weightlifting in the morning. Lots of people do this with great results.

For weight loss, just teach yourself to eat a reasonable amount of food, spending $90 a month for tips on tossing **** in a blender is laughable.

Certainly agree with this.
    Real food is always the better option unless you cannot reach your protein needs
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes (optimum nutrition gold standard) daily as a "snack" or after strength training but I do this because I do not have time to cook most of the times.

I personally think optimum nutrition gold standard is reasonably priced...i have a scoop of protein 5 to 6 times a week so a 5lb bottle lasts me long while; almost 2 months
  • kathyhaf1
    Options
    i would suggest trying different combinations & making your own at home instead of going with a mix. Personally, i starting having a shake every morning about two weeks ago when trying to get away from "diet" soda & i love it! My own recipe uses a base of Folgers French Vanilla Cappuccino mix with 10 oz of water (90 calories) & one container Publix Fat Free Caramel Yogurt (90 calories), then i mix it up with either more fat free yogurt (90 - 110 calories) or some protein powder (i prefer Body Fortress Chocolate, 140 calories). This mixes well in my smoothie blender with about 8 pieces of ice. Having a smoothie gives me the caffeine i need to get going in the morning & it's a very portable breakfast for around 300 calories & at least 14 grams of protein. Cost breakdown: Cappuccino Mix Container $4.00 for 17 servings; Publix Yogurt 4/$1 currently; and protein powder varies but can be found on sale in my area for about $8 - $10/container which has about 40 scoops. Total cost per smoothie: less than $1.00 per day :wink:

Please understand that i'm not trying to say anything is bad about any of the weight loss programs that you have named, but feel that you could have the same benefits without spending so much $. Best of luck to you & feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like :-)

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    There are a few huge issues I see here. You obviously have just gotten into getting in shape, congrats for wanting to make the change but you are already going about it in the wrong way. Setting a 30lb goal for three months is a pretty hefty mark and you are setting yourself up for failure by doing so. You say, 'you heard protein is good for muscle', this means you are diving into this whole thing blind to begin with, and then asking about two gimmicky shakes and then lumping protein shakes into a broad generalization will set you up for failure even more. So here's a few things you should know and try which will help you in the long run

1. Throw that 30lb goal out the window, try a simpler goal like constant improvement each month
    2. buy a body measuring take and a body fat tester. Take all of your measurements and take pictures of yourself from front, side and back, then repeat this each month
    3. Realize that muscle weighs more than fat, doing a program like Insanity will help you strip fat but you may not see huge drops on the scale which is where the pictures and measurements come in.
    4. Be aware of the food you eat, for example: diet foods replace the flavor lost when they take out the fat with Sodium, eating out anywhere involves tons of sodium, sodium will make you bloat and retain water
    5. Eat whole foods where ever possible, shakes are nice but at the end of the day they are SUPPLEMENTS, as in they supplement what you already eat.
    6. Protein does help build muscle but so do fats and carbs so don't neglect them because some **** with a 30 second workout plan told you to. Also keep in mind there are many types of fats, carbs and proteins, learn them and learn which are good, which are bad and when its best to consume them
    7. Educate yourself! Read, read, read! Learn about fitness, learn about a healthy lifestyle, learn about portions, read the labels on the food you buy, learn what a portion size is, buy a food scale, measuring cups, and measuring spoons, I promise you will be shocked when you really learn what you are eating. Look up food on MFP BEFORE you buy it so you can see what you're really getting into.

You use this as building blocks and you will succeed, and don't forget that after every fad diet has come and gone the thing that has always been around proven tried and true is diet and exercise. good luck!
  • missionPossibleIcan
    Options
    I still think Shakeology is the best. My dad doesn't believe in this kind of stuff.. I gave him a sample of Shakeology and now he drinks it everyday. But who ever said that sometimes it isn't to great to do a liquid meal. You have to get control of eating before you head towards something like this. I take it because I get all the nutrition I need...I am not to big on veggies. With the shake I get that veggies in :)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    ...I am not to big on veggies. With the shake I get that veggies in :)

You could simply take a multivitamin for that reason. Less pricey.
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    There are a few huge issues I see here. You obviously have just gotten into getting in shape, congrats for wanting to make the change but you are already going about it in the wrong way. Setting a 30lb goal for three months is a pretty hefty mark and you are setting yourself up for failure by doing so. You say, 'you heard protein is good for muscle', this means you are diving into this whole thing blind to begin with, and then asking about two gimmicky shakes and then lumping protein shakes into a broad generalization will set you up for failure even more. So here's a few things you should know and try which will help you in the long run

1. Throw that 30lb goal out the window, try a simpler goal like constant improvement each month
    2. buy a body measuring take and a body fat tester. Take all of your measurements and take pictures of yourself from front, side and back, then repeat this each month
    3. Realize that muscle weighs more than fat, doing a program like Insanity will help you strip fat but you may not see huge drops on the scale which is where the pictures and measurements come in.
    4. Be aware of the food you eat, for example: diet foods replace the flavor lost when they take out the fat with Sodium, eating out anywhere involves tons of sodium, sodium will make you bloat and retain water
    5. Eat whole foods where ever possible, shakes are nice but at the end of the day they are SUPPLEMENTS, as in they supplement what you already eat.
    6. Protein does help build muscle but so do fats and carbs so don't neglect them because some **** with a 30 second workout plan told you to. Also keep in mind there are many types of fats, carbs and proteins, learn them and learn which are good, which are bad and when its best to consume them
    7. Educate yourself! Read, read, read! Learn about fitness, learn about a healthy lifestyle, learn about portions, read the labels on the food you buy, learn what a portion size is, buy a food scale, measuring cups, and measuring spoons, I promise you will be shocked when you really learn what you are eating. Look up food on MFP BEFORE you buy it so you can see what you're really getting into.

You use this as building blocks and you will succeed, and don't forget that after every fad diet has come and gone the thing that has always been around proven tried and true is diet and exercise. good luck!

He hit the nail on the head. I agree 100% with all of this. I do drink a protein shake that I make myself with a good whey protein, lowfat milk (fats are still good for you), some natural peanut butter, and a banana. I only do this after my workout though or on off days when I just don't have much of an appetite. Learn your macros and keep them in balance during the day.
  • colette907
    Options
    to not have and sit and count every calorie that goes into my mouth is the freedom I'm refering to!
  • colette907
    Options
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you get some whey and just make protein shakes. There are many options, from adding fruit, milk, juice, yogurt, etc. I have never tried Body By Vi, but did buy Shakeology. Not only was it expensive, but the taste was terrible to me. It was so thick and made me want to gag. The chocolate was so over powering no matter what I put in it, it still tasted the same. Whey is much cheaper. Some brands are pricier than others, but I still think it is a much better option for you
  • colette907
    Options
    I want to try Body By Vi but my real concern is that I will gain all the weight back right after I stop the drinks... any ideas? Have you heard of how other people have done when they are complete with it?

...How would you gain the weight back? If you were making healthy choices, eating at a number of calories that works for maintenance, and continuing to be active (cardio + strength training), how would you gain back the weight?

People gain weight because they have not actually learned anything about nutrition because they rely on packaged powder/drinks. When they decide they want to eat food again...They go back to old habits.

That's my belief on these fad diets...

Lol, *I* know that escy ;] I was trying to get HER to come to that realization... but she mysteriously disappeared from this thread when I kept asking her questions.

Ummm Im right here??? I just work 12-15hr days and am I single mom and dont have the time to just keep responding as much as I like.... obviously you have to make healthy changes in your diet and add excerise and its what I'm trying to do. I have a friend thats on the shake that has a lot of energy (more than I have after just counting calories) and its been successful for her, like I said I have my own concerns about it because I havent heard how people do once their off. People often use diets like this as a crutch. Thats why I'm picking brains about it... have some respect please.
  • andibswanson
    andibswanson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have tried them all and I agree the money spent on these is rediculous. I use Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein along with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk and 1 tblsp of Natural Peanut Butter add some ice and blend in a personal blender and you are good to go. Add a fruit with it to get the Protein Carb combo that you need for a healthy breakfast. Food is our friend if you keep it Clean and Lean :-) In the mean time you have to do what is best for you and your budget.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I want to try Body By Vi but my real concern is that I will gain all the weight back right after I stop the drinks... any ideas? Have you heard of how other people have done when they are complete with it?

...How would you gain the weight back? If you were making healthy choices, eating at a number of calories that works for maintenance, and continuing to be active (cardio + strength training), how would you gain back the weight?

People gain weight because they have not actually learned anything about nutrition because they rely on packaged powder/drinks. When they decide they want to eat food again...They go back to old habits.

That's my belief on these fad diets...

Lol, *I* know that escy ;] I was trying to get HER to come to that realization... but she mysteriously disappeared from this thread when I kept asking her questions.

Ummm Im right here??? I just work 12-15hr days and am I single mom and dont have the time to just keep responding as much as I like.... obviously you have to make healthy changes in your diet and add excerise and its what I'm trying to do. I have a friend thats on the shake that has a lot of energy (more than I have after just counting calories) and its been successful for her, like I said I have my own concerns about it because I havent heard how people do once their off. People often use diets like this as a crutch. Thats why I'm picking brains about it... have some respect please.

Err... you're "right here" but took a week to respond. Lol, we're all busy too, and I was trying to socratically get you to see that these shakes are bogus, and made the assumption you peaced out when these shakes got torn apart (which happens often, if you'll notice some posts have flat out gotten deleted in this thread). Have some respect? More like don't take offense so easily.
  • gremogirl
    Options
    I just started body by vi. Allow I agree you can just go and get protein powder the convience helps me. I also do know how to eat healthy, I have healthy snacks in between and eat a healthy dinner.....this is key. I think I started because I wanted to jump start my weight loss. I also exercise 3 or 4 times a week and keep track of my calories. I personally try to stay at 1200 a day. Plus water...lots of water to drink! Good luck
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hi I personally drink Spamology everyday and love it. I lost 28 lbs since last March! . Good information about Spamology, vs Vi-Spam.

(spammy link and spammy sales pitch deleted)

You can order the Spamology at (Spamology link deleted)

I hope this information helps you
    I don't know why you BB, Vi, Advocare, ItWorks, etc. MLM spammers can't get the point that these boards are not a place for your spammy sales pitches. Spam reported and I hope your account is permanently deleted, along with all the rest of the MLM spammers.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Hi I personally drink Shakeology everyday and love it. I lost 28 lbs since last March! . Good information about Shakeology, vs Vi-Shake.

http://toucanfoods.com/healthy/2012/09/11/shakeology-visalus-advocare-meal-replacement-shake-comparison/

(everything in Shakeology is 100% natural) ***from the Plants and Roots**** NOT a chemical laboratory*** NO GMO, NO Artificial Ingredients, Many food ingredients sourced from organic farms.

You can order the Shakeology at Shakeology.com/Nadi1

I hope this information helps you

no
    against forum rules
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    :face palm:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    But they haven't gotten to the part about how you can just buy it with the money you'd normally spend at Starbucks!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Use them all to confuse the metabolism
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I sell Body By Vi and I just want to say that I recommend real food over a replacement shake any day. If you want to add a protein shake a post-workout or as a snack you could do that but replacing a meal with it, I will never recommend. Probably why I don't make any money selling it lol.