Adopted kitten is pooping where it wants! HELP

Options
njean888
njean888 Posts: 401 Member
It was been a week now that I adopted a new kitten. I got him (Max) to be a companion to my other adopted kitty (Bella). The new cat Max is about 3 months old. He continues to poop and pee whevever he sees fit. He has already been neutered. I'm not sure how to get him to go in the litter box. Now this is not my first cat. I had my childhood cat for 21 years, then I had a stray for 11 years both pasted away. Now I have Bella which is 1 year old and now Max which is about 3 months. None of my other cats ever did this. I'm not sure how to correct it.

I've been locking up the cat at night in my laundry room with the litter box and it has no accidents in there. But first thing in the morning I let him out to play and interact with the other cat and this is when it happens. Lucky for me I have tile so clean up is easy but he seems to go in the same spots. Basically, is this a kitten thing that maybe I just never experienced with the other cats or is their something I can do to help correct his behavior? BTW he has his claws so no he is not upset about declawing. I read that sometimes happens. Suggestions please.

Replies

• tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Put a litter box in the location where your cat’s been eliminating. When she has consistently used this box for at least one month, you may gradually move it to a more convenient location at a rate of an inch—seriously!—per day.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    yeah, had this problem with my newest. i just put litter boxes all over the place, where ever he pooped. i also tried to catch him using the potty so i could tell him what a good boy he is. positive reinforcement goes a long way.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Make sure to clean the spots with a cleaner designed to remove pet odors, especially if he's going in the same spot(s) over and over.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    What if you put the other cat in the laundry room for the morning play time? If he's anything like children or dogs, they sometimes forget because they're so excited. Having him play in the room with the litter box might be helpful
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Do you have more than one litter box? "They" say to have one per cat, since they don't like the smells associated with another cat's business. Why exactly are you locking him up at night? According to Jaxson Gallaxy from "My Cat from Hell" on Animal Planet, this can create anxiety and does not foster a feeling of "ownership" of the home, which can lead to behavior problems. I have no idea if he's right, just something I heard. But congrats on a new kitten! Hope it works out!
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to not put litter boxes all over my living room but heck if I can get it to work, its worth a shot. I also heard something about moving it inch by inch once he gets used to it.