I am freaking out!! Yessss!!

Options
2»

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    yay!!!! everytime i add another minute to the time i go go without walking i get super excited!! i always feel like a dork too though because it's only 1 more minute, but for me it's awesome! keep it up girl and let us know when you make it to 2 miles :)
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I actually was doing couch to 5k and was on the 2nd day and felt like I could do more....skipped ahead and ran a mile. I couldn't even believe it. I wanted to tell everyone at the gym but I didn't want to look like a dork. lol
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    YEAH!

I TOTALLY would have done the dorky thing at the gym... but that's mostly because I don't care if people think I'm dorky. :)

You and Zombies Run are inspiring me to consider the C25K thing again.
  • tracywire
    Options
    Great Job!!!!! WOW you are doing wonderful on your weight loss. 225lbs Way To GO!!!!
  • fitblondebaker22
    Options
    Awesome!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I too will jump on here to say "congrats!"

However, I will have to also say DO NOT JUMP AHEAD IN THE PROGRAM!!!! NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER!!!

Here's why:

There are two systems in your body that determines how long/fast you can run. Your cardiovascular (heart, lungs, blood, etc) and musculoskeletal (muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons, cartilage, etc.).

When training, your cardiovascular system will increase it's efficiency very quickly. Your heart will get stronger, so it will beat slower under the same level of exertion, and your blood will adapt to carrying more oxygen per mL. You will notice this quickly, and you will start to feel like you can push harder and go further in a relatively short period of time.

HOWEVER

Your musculo-skeletal system takes a long, long time to develop the strength and endurance to be able to run faster, or for longer periods of time. Much, much longer. The downside to this: You don't feel it.

All you ever feel is your cardio system straining. The stress you put on your muscles, bones and joints isn't felt through your body until something goes wrong. Once something goes wrong, you're done. No more running for weeks. You may even end up with a life-long injury.

That's why the programs like C25K have such slow, gradual increases of distance and running time. It's not for your cadio system to develop, it's for the musculo-skeletal system. You will feel like you could push further before the program tell you to, but by doing so, you will increase the risk of injuring yourself which will set you back weeks or years in your weight and fitness journey.

So, next time you go for a run and think you would like to jump ahead in the program, take a moment to think about it. You probably could do it, and you'll feel fine, but do it regularly, and you could end up not being able to run at all.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! Congratulations on the mile!!!! Also, great job on the weight loss!!
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I too will jump on here to say "congrats!"

However, I will have to also say DO NOT JUMP AHEAD IN THE PROGRAM!!!! NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER!!!

Here's why:

There are two systems in your body that determines how long/fast you can run. Your cardiovascular (heart, lungs, blood, etc) and musculoskeletal (muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons, cartilage, etc.).

When training, your cardiovascular system will increase it's efficiency very quickly. Your heart will get stronger, so it will beat slower under the same level of exertion, and your blood will adapt to carrying more oxygen per mL. You will notice this quickly, and you will start to feel like you can push harder and go further in a relatively short period of time.

HOWEVER

Your musculo-skeletal system takes a long, long time to develop the strength and endurance to be able to run faster, or for longer periods of time. Much, much longer. The downside to this: You don't feel it.

All you ever feel is your cardio system straining. The stress you put on your muscles, bones and joints isn't felt through your body until something goes wrong. Once something goes wrong, you're done. No more running for weeks. You may even end up with a life-long injury.

That's why the programs like C25K have such slow, gradual increases of distance and running time. It's not for your cadio system to develop, it's for the musculo-skeletal system. You will feel like you could push further before the program tell you to, but by doing so, you will increase the risk of injuring yourself which will set you back weeks or years in your weight and fitness journey.

So, next time you go for a run and think you would like to jump ahead in the program, take a moment to think about it. You probably could do it, and you'll feel fine, but do it regularly, and you could end up not being able to run at all.

I've already built up endurance with massive cardio so my body is used to it.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    too cool
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K, and I skipped ahead certain weeks because a couple of them seemed that instead of increasing time it was decreasing. I have completed a couple of 5K's and have improved my time slightly. I think as long as you listen to your body and make sure you have a rest day here and there from running for your muscles to repair you should be good. Congrats on your victory! Welcome to the runners club :D
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mb0u9eovPJ1rrijlg.gif
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Rock On!!! That is exciting!!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Major accomplishment!

Way to go :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!