Bored at work and snacking to much

Options
I started a new job a few weeks ago and I am sitting alot on this job. Most days are really boring and I find myself snacking to keep busy. Any suggestions on some office exercises I can do to get out of my chair and not snack. I can always snack on fruits and veggies but I want to get out of the habit of snacking out of boredom and not hunger. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    1. Squats. Great exercise, can be done anywhere.

2. Keep a refillable bottle of water at your desk. Every time you feel like snacking, take a gulp of water instead. Fewer calories, more water. Double-win!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I keep flavored teas at work, and they help when I feel snacky and I shouldn't be hungry. You could do jumping jacks in the bathroom, or wherever nobody will see you, lunges, squats like above poster said, skaters, wall push-ups, triceps dips if you have a chair that's not on rollers.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too, I find myself getting up every 30/45min and walking around for about 2/5min.
    I work in a big office though so someone walking briskly down the hallway or up and down the stairs is the norm.
    On particularly slow days I go outside and walk around the building a couple times a day. I figure if the smokers can go out for a smoke break, why can't I go out for a fresh air break.

I like the squats idea! I am going to have to try it.

I keep water at my desk too, take a gulp when I feel like snacking, or hot tea if the mood strikes.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It is just a habit. Don't keep food at your desk. Plan for 3 meals a day and make it a new habit not to snack between meals while at work.

Get up and walk around for a few minutes when you get bored. Start journaling. Writing will keep your hands and mind busy. I find if I drink "fancy" sparkling water, like Perrier or Peligrino, I feel more fulfilled. Plain water bores me and tends to make my stomach growl, but spakilng mineral water feels decadent some how.
  • vdeanel
    vdeanel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Drinking lots of water will also keep me moving to the bathroom, lol. I have an office with no windows so I can definitely do some squats, jumping jacks, etc in here. I think I will avoid packing snacks and avoid keeping change in my purse.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    find a few flights of stairs and run up and down them...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why not just walk? Get some fresh air.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunch break. About 2.5 miles. Nice to get out and off my duff.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I make a periodic trip to Whole Foods and get an assortment of nuts, raisins, dried mangos etc just for work.This stuff I snack on periodically during the day. One serving of nuts is only about 150 calories and you get good fats and some protein. I feel this strategy has helped me keep my eating in check as I used to be a vending machine snacker at work.
  • BRenkwell
    BRenkwell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Drinking lots of water will also keep me moving to the bathroom, lol. I have an office with no windows so I can definitely do some squats, jumping jacks, etc in here. I think I will avoid packing snacks and avoid keeping change in my purse.

YES! Keep your change far, far away. That vending machine stuff can be awful. I know I personally would have an issue getting a granola bar or something like that if Reeses Peanut Butter Cups or Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles were in my face.

I'm a snacker too - I've tried to have sugar free gum around and always some water. Seems to help a bit, but when it fails, I try to have something healthier around - like some popcorn or fruit or veggies. If I can help it, I also try to get up and tell someone things instead of calling/buzzing them or e-mailing them. Just getting out of my chair feels good :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker too - I've tried to have sugar free gum around and always some water.

Early on in my diet, while my carbohydrates were too high and my proteins were too low and I was constantly hungry, I was going through cinnamon gum like it was going out of style. Especially on pizza day because the cinnamon is a natural appetite suppressant, AND the strong scent of the cinnamon covered up the horribly tempting smell of the pizza wafting from the plates of everyone walking by.

So, yeah, sugar free gum is concentrated awesome to start breaking the snacky habit.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I usually have hard candy or gum with me for this reason
  • Annette8479
    Annette8479 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump