Dairy and Gluten free diet!

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be starting a diary and gluten free diet soon. I am very unfamiliar with the gluten free diet. Does anyone have any tips on being gluten free, for example; recipes, what to eat, and how to be on a budget while doing this? (I do not have a lot of money and only spend about 50-80 dollars a month on food!) I live in California, and I'm not very familiar if we have any grocery stores besides Trader Joes and Whole foods that offer gluten free products.

Thank you!

Replies

• californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    No suggestions?? :(
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Corn tortillas in place of bread. All the gluten free bread I have tried has been horrific. For cereal, you can have rice/almond milk with Nature's Path - Pumpkin Flax Granola. VERY yummy. I use kefir mixed with rice milk on it.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If there is a Big Lots near you, check them. They often have good organic cereals and rice milk for a fraction of the cost...
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am at the end of day 5 of my gluten free lifestyle change, plus i stopped eating any dairy products about 3 days ago.

have a look at my diary if you like.

Generally i eat

a superfood smoothie for breakfast (around 400 cal)
    hummus, rice cakes and veggies/fruit for lunch (if i can afford extra veggies and fresh fruit, sometimes its just hummus and rice cakes!)
    a yummy gluten and dairy free bar from the health food shop for a snack
    couple of glasses of apple juice
    some nuts
    a coffee

and then a dinner which is usually

bean stew
    falafal
    quinoa

i have jasmine tea instead of normali-tea though i am going to start having almond milk teas and coffees when i can afford some milk.

I haven't found i need to 'replace' like for like, more than i can get what i want out of my diet without needing to make a pasta dish, or a milky dish.

its been great actually, we think about food a lot more and do a lot more with our food :)
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a Gluten Free Group on here- you can often find threads on the subject as well.

ETA: one of my best friends is on some of these posts, but here are some links to some threads on here that may be helpful for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/631283-ideas-for-gluten-free-and-dairy-free-snack-ideas
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/114512-gluten-free-girls-and-guys
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/85776-gluten-free-dairy-free
  • Thinsposa
    Thinsposa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is me!! I'm a gluten-free vegan, so it covers all bases. Feel free to add me if you need some help or support! I'm always around. :smile:
  • hopsywopsy
    Options
    You could look up celiac.org for info on a gluten free diet. Here is the link to their resource list for what you can eat:
    http://cdfresourcedirectory.com/
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Given those restrictions (gluten and dairy free, plus a rather limited food budget) I'd recommend lots of legumes, as well as rice, and maybe quinoa as staples. You have to be careful with corn tortillas, as some brands contain wheat or gluten in addition to corn--just be sure to check the label. If you like cereal, many specialty "gluten free" cereals are very expensive, but some types of Chex (Rice Chex I think), as well as some other mainstream cereals have gone gluten free and are clearly marked as such. Instead of milk you can use soy, rice, or almond milk--almond is my personal favorite.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I am severely gluten intolerant. Udi's GF bread is really good. Especially toasted. I am also dairy free. Check out my food diary on a daily basis or add me as a friend. I keep my bread in the freezer and rarely eat it. I stick to lean meats and veggies with a little fruit. I have lost 16 lbs this month alone.

Edited to add: Udi's may not be dairy free. I have only been dairy free for a month.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the basics which are cheap and easy. Rice would be the cheapest staple food for you only because you can buy giant bags of it from places like warehouse clubs. If you have a rice pot, you can make large amounts and live off of it for days. You'll want to get frozen veggies (bulk) so you can eat more nutritional meals. Basically, going gluten free is not a cheap thing. With that kind of budget, you won't be able to afford gluten free pizza crusts or other items like breads. I can tell you though, the breads are not that great (a few are acceptable) so if you're on a budget, stick to rice, potatoes, and probably beans. Beans give some people who are Celiac's problems but I don't know if you have those sorts of issues. You can get gluten free pastas that are pretty good and they are affordable.

Are you doing this because of an illness? Allergy? If you have a gluten issue, it's ok but if you don't - I'd be concerned about the cost of eating right. I'm gluten free due to an allergy and it's not cheap! Also, you're going to discover that some of your spices and staples in the kitchen are not gluten free. You can get Lea and Perrins, individual spices, and some others as gluten free (look for ingredient labels).

I tend to grill a lot of foods and eat leftover rice with extra leftovers. I also bought a mini-crock lunch pot (find them at BJ's, Target, and online at Walmart to take food to work. I just stack the leftovers (including veggies) and plug it into the wall.
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi

I usually have the following:

Breakfast:
    Scrambled egg / fruit veggies
    smoked salmon / fruit

Lunch:
    lean meat and veggies (chicken, beef, salmon, tuna)

Dinner:
    prawns and veggies
    fruit

Feel free to take a look at my dairy. It has been a little off track for the last few days - emotional eating!!! But usually I am very consistent.

All the best
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Bob Mill's has a gluten free oatmeal mix which you can probably get at most of your health food stores. The grains are collected only on fields (and equipment) that is never exposed to gluten/wheat.

Fair warning, some people have problems with Quinoa. I know I can't tolerate it at all. I've heard that it's being explored only because of causing gluten like problems for some people. I would stick to rice, potatoes, and gluten free corn (Mission makes Tortillas) where possible. Good luck.
  • killingtheantagonist
    Options
    From what I've read before, you shouldn't go gluten free unless you have Celiac disease or have a gluten sensitivity. If you aren't careful a gluten free diet can lack fiber, vitamins(mostly B&D), and minerals you need.
    I'd honestly check with a doctor if you're only doing it because you think it'll help you lose weight.
    Also there's no evidence to suggest that eliminating gluten from your diet causes weight loss.
    Many gluten free foods are high in sugar, fat, and sodium.
    So like I said before, talk with a doctor to make sure you actually NEED to eat gluten free.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm going to be starting a diary and gluten free diet soon. I am very unfamiliar with the gluten free diet. Does anyone have any tips on being gluten free, for example; recipes, what to eat, and how to be on a budget while doing this? (I do not have a lot of money and only spend about 50-80 dollars a month on food!) I live in California, and I'm not very familiar if we have any grocery stores besides Trader Joes and Whole foods that offer gluten free products.

Thank you!

Brown Basmati rice
    Polenta
    All beans and legumes
    All vegetables
    All fruits
    Tofu (if you like it)
    Quinoa
    Lean meats
    Fish
    Eggs
    Nut milk
    Hemp seeds
    Chia seeds
    Nut butters
    Flax seed
    Olive oil
    Injera made of teff grain

Avoid falling into the trap of gluten free this, that and the other processed foods. Also avoid the soy fake meat bandwagon because it's nasty stuff that's so sodium-laden.
  • norcalgirl21
    norcalgirl21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! This is how I eat! I have been dairy-free for about a year or so because it gives me migraines (I REALLY miss cheese!) and I've been trying to be as gluten free as possible for the last three months or so because of some negative side effects my husband complains about. :blushing:

Most anything with coconut milk is delicious!! I make my smoothies with pineapple juice and coconut milk beverage from Trader Joe's (TJ's) and I LOVE the mint chocolate chip coconut milk ice cream by So Delicious that I get from Safeway. TJ's also has a good coconut milk yogurt. Just be careful because coconut anything is high in saturated fat. It's the good kind like avocados, but it's still saturated fat.
    As far as gluten-free products there are some that are like cardboard and some that are very yummy! Udi's whole grain bread from TJ's or Safeway is yummy, even to my gluten eating husband. (It's cheaper at TJ's) TJ's also has yummy brown rice pasta, just make sure you cook it for 10 minutes otherwise it a little chewy.

There are also a LOT of good gluten-free recipes out there. You just may need to hunt and experiment a little bit. Here's one for fall that I'm excited to try out later today!! http://greenlitebites.com/2010/10/10/pumpkin-oatmeal-cups/

Happy Eating! :flowerforyou:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Almond flour makes beautiful bread, pancakes biscuits etc. Check out the paleo or primal blueprint sites for recipes.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to cruise through my diary for ideas. I get really sick from both gluten and dairy so I want nothing to do with them anymore.

There are plenty of foods that are dairy and gluten free, and you don't have to spend more money if you're willing to make sensible substitutions instead of trying to replicate the "standard American diet".

Beans, rice, quinoa, all can be used to stretch the dollar, and they're all gluten free. Salads and lots of veggies are a good plan too - you'll need to make sure your dressings are gluten/dairy free. I use a lot of sweet potatoes for their nutritional value, not a fan of white potatoes but either way they're gluten free. Use margarine instead of butter.

There are plenty of gluten free dairy free recipes available online. I'm baking up my favorite banana bread right now, in fact, which is made with almond flour. Very easy, so good my son loves it too.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Domino's GF pizza is amazing. I order the pacific veggie, no cheese and take a gluten digest enzyme just in case.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free but still eat some dairy. Feel free to check my diary. I avoid most GF products and stick to meat, veggies, fish, fruits, nuts. There's also a paleo/primal group on MFP and we share lots of meal ideas.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this for heath reasons. I do not have Celiac disease, but I am sensitive to both diary and gluten. I've been really sick the last two years and I'm tired of dealing with it.
    From what I've read before, you shouldn't go gluten free unless you have Celiac disease or have a gluten sensitivity. If you aren't careful a gluten free diet can lack fiber, vitamins(mostly B&D), and minerals you need.
    I'd honestly check with a doctor if you're only doing it because you think it'll help you lose weight.
    Also there's no evidence to suggest that eliminating gluten from your diet causes weight loss.
    Many gluten free foods are high in sugar, fat, and sodium.
    So like I said before, talk with a doctor to make sure you actually NEED to eat gluten free.