Can somebody help me?

Options
Hi Everyone, I am new to the site so im just finding my feet. About 5 years ago i weighed 19stone (250 pounds). I decided to lose weight and so i did-way too fast. i lost about 3 stone in three months but literally not eating and only drinking tea. I then lost another 5 stone over the course of a year by eating very little.

Now though i am eating healthier and exercising more. But i have put on a stone in weight. I go to the gym about 5-6 times a week and i run about 5 miles a few times a week. The gym consists of running for 20mins at 6mph, cross trainer for 15mins, 15mins on the stepper and weights.

Can someone tell me where im going wrong?

It gets me so down. Especially when i got the weight down and now it feels like its creeping back up. I hate the way i look and food is a constant battle.

I dont understnad how i can eat ok (i do get take aways sometimes) and i exercise loads so whats happening? My clothes are no looser so im not losing inches. And im clearly getting bigger.

Feels like a never ending vicious cycle.

I'd appreciate any help anyone has?

Replies

• chevvy53
    Options
    Not really sure are monitoring portions ? Because exercise Even though U do lots your body (I think) can get used to it ? X
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm lost as to what your current weight is.

How tall are you etc, how much are you eating ? Open diaries help comment.

Gym every other day should be adequate.
  • crunchienugget
    crunchienugget Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i am 5 foot 5 and weigh about 80kg. my portions are fine-im careful about carbs and load up on vegetables
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Exercise keeps you healthy and makes you look great but doesn't make you lose weight.

What you eat and how much is absolutely critical. We all get takeaway sometimes. But it's the context of other food.

Most people who lose weight put it back on. It's what we're all going to eventually struggle with. They do that because they go back to their old habits. They eat larger portions. They stop logging their food. They eat too many calories.

Here are some reports of studies you might find helpful:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/09/10/160757730/low-and-slow-may-be-the-way-to-go-when-it-comes-to-dieting

Women who keep weight off tend not to deprive themselves of any particular food (good eating habits become a long term life choice) and they continue to exercise. They also tend to keep monitoring their food and logging, essentially forever.

Frankly, I think that's what my future is going to look like.
  • crunchienugget
    Options
    hi nxd10

thanks for the info. I went the totally wrong way losing weight the first time. And becasue of that i have more unhealthy than before e.g. low blood pressure, blood sugars drop dramtically and i collapse quite often because of it.. Thats why i am trying to eat more healthy which esentially meant eating more calories.

Its hard to try stay healthy when i know not eating gets the weight off. I will of course keep eating healthy (mos tof the time anyway-Chinese every now and again isnt so bad).

Thanks again for your help
  • duffydog1
    duffydog1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so as you tone up and develop more muscle you will gain a little weight. Open your diary so we can see what you eat for more help from theforum.
    E x
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Do you use a heart rate monitor? I find that I can do 60+ minutes of cardio 5 days/week, eat VERY clean, and I still don't lose weight/burn fat UNLESS I challenge my heart. You could accomplish this through intervals of really any size, but you want to get your heart rate up quite a bit. Try getting your heart rate up by running/sprinting for one interval, then let it fall below 150 for the next interval, and repeat. I have been doing this with 4-5 miles (I'll sprint the first, walk a mile, run a mile, walk, jog). Do it for 2 weeks and see if it doesn't work for you. It's taken me my whole life to figure this out!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so as you tone up and develop more muscle you will gain a little weight. Open your diary so we can see what you eat for more help from theforum.
    E x

No. This is SOOO very wrong.
    A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weight the same.
    The same volume of each will weigh different.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Again, an open diary is helpful.

You could be doing too much and not eating enough...
    You'll just need to find a balance.

For me, when I stopped working out every day and was a tad more relaxed about my work out schedule, the weight dropped off quicker than when I was doing so much cardio. Do a little less cardio and try some strength training whether it's free weights or body weight workouts.

Editted to add: Oh, you do do weights lol. Your first post didn't show up when I was making this post lol
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    And as another thing it's taken me 24 years to learn: have you tried seeing how your body reacts to different foods? I cut out anything that is NOT fruit, veggies, or lean protein and I've lost almost 100lbs in under 18 months. I think my body was overly sensitive to gluten/sugar/dairy/processed foods. I know this is extreme, but if you try cutting out different things, you may notice weight loss more quickly and more importantly, that you FEEL better. A lot of people have a problem digesting one thing or another, so you may find that by cutting out 1 or 2 different foods for a month, you'll notice a difference. Just a thought.
  • crunchienugget
    Options
    I'll try this. im doing my 5 mile run tomorrow morning, so i'll try run post to post sprint/relax. Thanks for the info
  • crunchienugget
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice and support. I will defo try out your suggestions and let you know how i get on. Hopefully this time next week i will down a pound or two and maybe a few inches :)

Again thanks everyone-great to know someone is there to help!