Where does the fat go?

This might sound silly but what happens to the fat that is "lost". It doesn't disappear it goes somewhere. It can't possibly be 100% absorbed. There has to be some "waste" right?

Replies

• Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 650 Member
    lol
  • Sweat is fat crying.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Into the toilet and in the air you exhale.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    poop! :laugh:
  • You breathe it out. :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Fat cells will always be there. They are merely like balloons that can inflate or deflate once in place

This (in the form of CO2)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    This might sound silly but what happens to the fat that is "lost". It doesn't disappear it goes somewhere. It can't possibly be 100% absorbed. There has to be some "waste" right?

The same place as the missing socks. :wink:

That said, here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-fat/AN01327
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    The fat is stored fuel for body activities, breathing, heart beating, walking around, jumping jacks, whatever. The fuel is used when you do the activities. Using the energy results in cellular waste, which is either exhaled or excreted, depending on what form the bi-products take.

Fat CELLS actually don't go anywhere. (Unless you get liposuction.) You keep the same number, they just get bigger or smaller depending on how much fuel they are storing.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    The fat faerie comes and takes it away in your sleep. duh guys.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    The Fat Fairy comes and takes the fat away:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRyhY1G11E8hKe7F67WVwKaNWbWdzkyeCtnYDyc3S-lBN9E7-jPg
  • This might sound silly but what happens to the fat that is "lost". It doesn't disappear it goes somewhere. It can't possibly be 100% absorbed. There has to be some "waste" right?

The same place as the missing socks. :wink:

That said, here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-fat/AN01327

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LcGH-aKN20
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member

Boo, you snuck in ahead of me whilst I was IMG tagging! :p
  • Drunkadelic
    The Fat Fairy comes and takes the fat away:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRyhY1G11E8hKe7F67WVwKaNWbWdzkyeCtnYDyc3S-lBN9E7-jPg
    see.....

This (in the form of CO2)

Yep! That's what I meant.

When trimming calories and/or increasing exercise during weight loss, the enzyme hormone-sensitive lipase, located within fat cells, responds to hormonal messages and disassembles triglycerides into their component glycerol and fatty acids. These components then slip out of the fat cells and into the bloodstream, where they are accessible to tissues throughout the body. The liver preferentially absorbs the glycerol and some of the fatty acids--the remainder of which is taken in by muscle.

Once inside liver or muscle cells, the triglyceride ingredients are further disassembled and modified, eventually resulting in large quantities of a compound called acetyl-CoA. Within the cells' mitochondria--the powerhouses of the cells--the acetyl-CoA combines with the compound oxaloacetate to form citric acid. This synthesis kicks off the citric acid cycle (or Krebs cycle), a set of chemical reactions that creates usable energy from fat, protein and carbohydrates. As these mitochondrial activities unfold, they generate carbon dioxide, water and heat, as well as adenosine triphosphate (ATP), an energy-carrying molecule that fuels cellular activities.

The carbon dioxide is then expelled from the lungs during exhalation. The water exits the body as urine and perspiration. The heat that is generated helps to maintain body temperature at a comfortable 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. And the ATP powers cellular activities that require energy--from moving your muscles during exercise, to maintaining your heart's 100,000-plus beats each day, to digesting each mouthful of food that you swallow and processing nutrients into bodily tissues.

• Drunkadelic

Boo, you snuck in ahead of me whilst I was IMG tagging! :p
    :P
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    im afraid this is going to be a rubbish description of something that was once explained to me by an expert... but im trying...

while at uni i did a module which included a section about eating disorders... part of this we were given a talk about fat and weight gain and that kind of stuff... apparently the body is able to make new fat cells that build up... when someone looses weight these fat cells remain in place but they shrink in size...the body cant destroy them only create more...

x
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    it melts
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Sweat is fat crying.

I like that! lol

I'm gonna make my fat really cry all weekend!
  • It is converted to thermal energy - i.e. heat