Water Intake

Options
I know you're supposed to drink sips of water throughout the whole day, but if I get most of my water intake at the end of the day or drink water after meals instead of before, is it still effective?

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Sips? Drink it, it's not like you're getting waterboarded.

The direct answer is No. Your bladder will fill and essentially, you will be needing to change the sheets. :laugh:

Drink it throughout the day and your body will be able to offset the sodium intake as well as stay hydrated a lot easier
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Yes, at least mostly. But it's nowhere near optimal.

You'll have periods of the day when you're dehydrated, but at the end of the day (in your case literally) you'll be giving your body the tools it needs to make up for the day's activities. You may find that you still retain water more than you should, but that's only a difference on the scale - not in actual meaningful health. Plus you'll get excellent exercise getting up very frequently to pee by drinking all that water all at once.

If you're going to concentrate it up like that, try to do so around meals. It's very low-risk, but drinking a lot of water without having recently replenished your electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc) can cause the electrolytes to dilute and cause water intoxication or hyponatremia. Again, this is a VERY LOW risk unless you're really restricting your sodium intake or have been sweating a lot, but if you're going to drink a half gallon of water in 15 minutes, it's probably worth making sure it's sometime when you have plenty of electrolytes on board.

But you really are better off drinking some water during the day - whatever you can - even if it's a half-dozen mouthfuls every time you pass a water fountain.
  • elvineandcheryl
    Options
    I don't think it matters what time of day you drink water as long as your drinking it.
  • Drinking water after you eat isn't the best option AS COMPARED to:
    1) Drinking a glass of water 20 minutes before meals
    2) Taking a sip of water between every 1-3 bites of food during meals.

Sips all day consistanly are good. Say, if I'm reading a book, after every one side of the page read, I'll have a drink of water. Or if I'm playing video games, after ever fight encountered and won, I'll have a drink. See :)? Pace yourself so you are consistantly drinking and your body will love you for it.

Hope this helps!
  • rinathin
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Some days I'm in class all day and don't have a water bottle so I wondering. But I will do my best to drink more during the day. And nice advice SeptemberHall, I'll try that. :)
  • coffeebrown5
    coffeebrown5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    no matter when you get your water in just long as you get it in...the more the bettter...Good Luck!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Sip? I gulp it... all day. I only sip when I come back to bed after peeing... lol
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine why you want to drink it all at bedtime! I would be up all night.... before or after meals doesn't really matter, but my personal thought is... it is best to spread it out throughout the day as best you can.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine why you want to drink it all at bedtime! I would be up all night.... before or after meals doesn't really matter, but my personal thought is... it is best to spread it out throughout the day as best you can.

Ha. This.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I get myself a new cup for the season (I just like to have something cute.....flowers for summer, snowflakes for winter, and right now, a cup with orange trumfor fall)....one of those 24 oz double wall plastic tumblers with a straw that you. An get al Walmart for $5 or $6 dollars. I fill it first thing in the morning and drink thought pout the day, filling it two more times. I almost always get in 8 cups, sol etimes 9. Once you get used to drinking it, it gets a lot easier and you begin to crave a nice cold drink of water. (plus it helps you feel full for a while!) hop you find a system that works for you:)
  • llstjohn
    llstjohn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is the easiest thing you can do but somehow the hardest thing for me. Until I discovered those little tubes of flavoring. I keep a travel cup full of ice and water on my desk all the time. I have no problem drinking all the water I'm supposed to now. And they come in great flavors.