Does fruit give you a tummy ache?

Options
This topic has probably already been posted, but I didn't see it when I searched.... so thought I would start a new topic.

Just wondering if any of you have this issue, and if so, what do you do?

I am NOT a fan of fruits and veggies, but am trying to incorporate more of them into my daily intake.... you know, because they are good for you. The problem is that about an hour after I eat fruit (apple, banana, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc)... my tummy starts hurting. Stomach cramps. Not 'gassy cramps', but more stomach ache where I am almost nauseous. A couple hours later.... I start feeling better. But still - those 2 to 3 hours are miserable.

I am not eating a LOT of fruit - usually just as either a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack, and usually just a small apple, or small banana, or 3/4 cup of berries. So far, it hasn't seemed to matter what type of fruit, or what time of day.

Has this happened to any of you? If so - does it get better ever? Any ideas or helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks.

Replies

• DexterDarko
    Options
    That hasn't happened to me. o.O

Whenever I eat fruit I feel the complete opposite, alive and powerful. You might have an issue, or perhaps a mistaken coincidence? If it persists for too long I would do some research o.o
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Nope, never had an issue. It is most likely because you are not used to the fibre intake.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Apples kill my stomach, but I'm okay with other fruits.
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    :) At first, I thought it was just bananas.... so stayed away from them for YEARS. :) The last few weeks though (since I consciously started buying and actually EATING more fruit), I've noticed that the others are the same.

Good thought about the fiber intake, that certainly could be part of it. :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    try eating it in smaller quantities at a time.. like 1/2 a banana or 1/2 a cup of berries. the same thing happens to me if I eat more than what would be considered 1/2 a serving by most people.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm the same with straight up lettuce leaves (any kind of lettuce) makes me really bloated ): fruit i'm fine with though, although I don't eat a lot (only apples/bananas/most berries and then some dried fruit).
  • CRLG93
    Options
    Apparently Banana's are high in fructose, which does shut off your body's "full" signal, and can affect you in other ways as well. So the more fructose you eat, the more you tend to feel hungry. I'm not sure what other fruits have fructose in it, but maybe this could be why you're experiencing these pains :)
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.... I might try eating 'less' at a time and see if that makes a difference. :)
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have that too. Unfortunately, because I actually like fruit. But the more acid-y they are, the less I can eat of them. One normal-sized apple is already too much for me; if I want to eat apples (without one half going bad), I have to get small ones.

Veggies are no problem if I steam or lightly fry them. Raw, however, they can cause problems too. So I'm focusing on vegetables in my "diet" (don't like that word) and eat fruits only very occasionally.
  • MrSJWinship
    MrSJWinship Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This happens to me with raw apples and carrots. Its painful cramps like an hour after. Im glad to know im not the only one.
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    Apples and grapes bother my stomach, but if I eat them in small quantities and not on an empty stomach I'm fine.
  • Bdn75
    Bdn75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as fructose intolerance. Some people just can't eat fruit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption says it's only stuff that has more fructose than glucose, but I have a friend that just can't eat fruit at all (or claims she can't).

Maybe get yourself tested?
  • Bdn75
    Bdn75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also, there is no reason you MUST eat fruit. Veggies have everything you need that you can get from fruit!

Would be a bummer though because fruit is yummy!
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as fructose intolerance. Some people just can't eat fruit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption says it's only stuff that has more fructose than glucose, but I have a friend that just can't eat fruit at all (or claims she can't).

Maybe get yourself tested?

^^^^ this....and also this -

http://www.livestrong.com/article/409379-i-have-stomach-cramps-after-eating-fruit/
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    Thanks! I will check out the article links. Also - kind of nice to know I'm not the ONLY one that this happens to. :)
    I haven't noticed it with veggies.... then again, I LIKE the taste of fruit much better than veggies, so am really hoping to find a combination or way to eat them without the stomach cramps. :)
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    I'm kind of leaning toward it being a high-fiber issue in certain fruits rather than fructose intolerance.... from the articles, looks like fructose is a common additive in other non-fruit/packaged foods as well... and breads, pastas, regular soda (back when I was drinking it) don't seem to be an issue.

Thanks again for the posts - this definitely gives me an area to research further and some things to try! I appreciate it!
  • electricmeow
    electricmeow Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it has to do with fiber as you are sensing as well.

If you're curious in an eastern approach (I've been more interested in this lately) You may want to check out Ayurveda, or "the science of life". It's from India and goes hand in hand with yoga. Sounds to me you would be considered a "Vata" body constitution. Here's one link of many you can check out. You can also do a quiz, if you're interested.
    http://www.chopra.com/vata

But in summary, if you were to be "Vata" it would say:

Since Vata is drying, cooling and light, favor foods that are oily, warming, or heavy. The best tastes to pacify Vata are sweet, salty and sour. Minimize foods that are pungent, bitter, or astringent.
    (Many fruits like apples, unripe bananas, cranberries are actually considered astringent instead of sweet)

Favor sweet, heavy fruits such as: bananas, avocados, mangoes, apricots, plums, berries, coconut, figs, grapefruit, orange, lemon, melons, papaya, peaches, pineapples, rhubarb, kiwi, dates, nectarines and dried fruits.

Eat fewer dry or light fruits such as apples, cranberries, pears, and pomegranates. To ease digestion, fruits are best eaten lightly cooked or sautéed or eaten alone.

Cooked vegetables are best. Raw vegetables should be minimized. Favor Asparagus, beets, and carrots. Other vegetables may be taken in moderation if cooked in ghee or extra virgin olive oil, including peas, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and sweet potatoes.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it has to do with fiber as you are sensing as well.

If you're curious in an eastern approach (I've been more interested in this lately) You may want to check out Ayurveda, or "the science of life". It's from India and goes hand in hand with yoga. Sounds to me you would be considered a "Vata" body constitution. Here's one link of many you can check out. You can also do a quiz, if you're interested.
    http://www.chopra.com/vata

But in summary, if you were to be "Vata" it would say:

Since Vata is drying, cooling and light, favor foods that are oily, warming, or heavy. The best tastes to pacify Vata are sweet, salty and sour. Minimize foods that are pungent, bitter, or astringent.
    (Many fruits like apples, unripe bananas, cranberries are actually considered astringent instead of sweet)

Favor sweet, heavy fruits such as: bananas, avocados, mangoes, apricots, plums, berries, coconut, figs, grapefruit, orange, lemon, melons, papaya, peaches, pineapples, rhubarb, kiwi, dates, nectarines and dried fruits.

Eat fewer dry or light fruits such as apples, cranberries, pears, and pomegranates. To ease digestion, fruits are best eaten lightly cooked or sautéed or eaten alone.

Cooked vegetables are best. Raw vegetables should be minimized. Favor Asparagus, beets, and carrots. Other vegetables may be taken in moderation if cooked in ghee or extra virgin olive oil, including peas, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and sweet potatoes.

omg!!! mine said......Based on your results, you are a PITTA: *cries* :p

wait..no..total final results is im a Kapha...whew...
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    If you eat it on an empty stomach and don't eat anything for a half hour or longer, you won't get a stomachache.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Apples make my stomach growl and I feel hungry lol
    I usually eat them first as a snack