Food to eat before and after workouts

Options
I'm having a hard time deciding what to eat before and after workouts. Since I'm working part time and going to school, I work out when I can. But it doesn't leave me enough time to plan out what I should be eating. I usually grab a protein bar before workouts, and then whatever healthy-ish afterwards. What would be good food choices?

Replies

• kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    anything with protein! maybe some hard boiled eggs, yogurt or cottage cheese, beef or turkey jerky..anything that will fuel you.
    also carbs to give you energy and replenish what you've burned during your workout.

tuna on toast would be a good post-workout choice.
    or grilled chicken.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    to get super specific, it does depend a bit on what you're gonna be doing. if im doing cardio i get hungry real fast, so i have a mix of carbs to give me instant energy, and protein to last me during the 30-40 minute runs. and i'm not too hungry after cardio, usually eat 20-30 minutes afterwards, like a banana.

if i'm weight lifting, eating before isn't as important to me, but eating after is much more important. need to give your body protein after weight lifting so it can build muscle, rather than steal protein tissue from existing muscles.
  • capopend
    Options
    I drink chocolate milk.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I do "half egg sandwiches" before - 2 to 3 egg whites fried in a frying pan on top of one slice of buttered toast.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Pre-Workout
    1 Bottle Shamrock Farms Muscle Builder chocolate milk - 30g protein.
    1/2 cup of Whole Wheat Pasta
    2 Squares of Hershey's 60% Dark Chocolate

Post-Workout
    1 Bottle Shamrock Farms Rapid Recovery chocolate milk - 20g Protein

Easiest way for me to do it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The timing of your nutrition is just not critical. Just make sure that you get enough calories and hit your macronutrient targets each day. What you eat before or after workouts is all a matter of preference if your are doing the above.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Really. Overall nutrition throughout the day/week is far more important. Eat whatever makes you feel best before/after.