EXTRA HANGING SKIN =(

Options
2»

Replies

• kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think it will be different for everyone. I have went from 245-158 but I have a huge amount of skin left on my tummy. I had full term twins almost 7 years ago (weighed in at 280) and my body was forced to expand quickly. I am slowly accepting for myself, that my tummy is here to stay (as well as the seperated ab muscles) I have told myself if I can keep the weight off for a year that I will consider a tummy tuck.
    I am not brave enough to post pics of it, but I have to tuck the skin into my pants. My stretch marks are 2 inches wide easy, it's gross. But I have 2 beauties.

All the suggestions are good ones.
    I too will start focusing more on mid section as I am about to my goal.

Good luck to everyone!!!

I too carried twins full term and I know that by doing so it stretched my skin more than it had ever stretched although they are not to blame of the stretched skin in general i have been overweight all my life and have had 3 full term pregnancies in the last 4 years so I am pretty sure my skin is like one of those rubber bands that have been left out in the sun for days lol However after 3 c-sections I am not too keen on the idea of having surgery ever again for any reason so i may just have to deal with hanging skin!

I can appreciate the surgery comment after 3 csections. I too had a csection. It really all depends what my tummy decides to do over the next year or so. I would consider surgery - not the fact it's surgery is holding me back but more the cost lol. I have noticed, even with no weight loss, that my stomach did get smaller over the past month or so. Can I thank Jillian Michaels for that? hah I am not sure. But I think if we just keep fighting the fight we will see some results. And we will know we are mothers and have some 'battle wounds' to show for it haha.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Everyone will be different in this regard. There is alot of factors in the equation like age, starting weight, how fast you lost, did you weight train throughout, how long did you carry the weight, genetics come into play, your diet, etc, etc.. and ultimately in the end you may just have to much saggy skin and will be in need of surgical intervention. That was the point I finally had gotten to and there was nothing else but surgery that would repair the damage that I had done to my skin.. I am 4 days Post Op from a full circumferential body lift surgery and have a blog you could check out that was approved by MFP staff to document the process... Best of Luck to you....

www.gettingfit4life.com

Ed, Glad to see yousaw and replied. You've got the creds for it!
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I can appreciate the surgery comment after 3 csections. I too had a csection. It really all depends what my tummy decides to do over the next year or so. I would consider surgery - not the fact it's surgery is holding me back but more the cost lol. I have noticed, even with no weight loss, that my stomach did get smaller over the past month or so. Can I thank Jillian Michaels for that? hah I am not sure. But I think if we just keep fighting the fight we will see some results. And we will know we are mothers and have some 'battle wounds' to show for it haha.

I think that some of us will have some remedy with time, continued fat loss and muscle strength. But mostly time. It takes a long time to get obese and it should take a long time to lose it in order to have any chance at all in making the loss permanent, and a long time for the skin to change too...but some people will probably need surgical help.
  • healthygrlnj3
    Options
    I had a trainer tell me to do weights 6x aweek. Mon arms,tues leg,wedn arms, thrus legs you get it. take off on sunday.
  • healthygrlnj3
    Options
    do you have insurance some pay
  • conniesuecharles
    Options
    I believe stretch marks are battle scars..... Try to wear them with pride! I try too, before I joined I had already lost close to 100lbs.I still have 35lbs to go till I reach my goal and I have many large battle scars. I try to wear them pride it is not always easy but I just think of where I was and where I am today...

Now the hanging skin is a problem I'm still trying to come to terms with. I lost around 80lbs in about 3 months I lost the weight that fast because my galbladder had gone bad and I still find it very hard to eat enough cals to make it to my 1200 daily goal. So I expect the hanging skin, I don't like it but I expect it. The worse is the slapping noise!:cry: Maybe the slapping noise is my bodies way of applauding all the hard work!:smile: (lets go with that, I like it so much better)

*To all the mothers; the stretched skin and the stretch marks are badges of honor and identifies you as a bearer of life.
  • mindy_moorehead
    Options
    I have actually had this conversation with my trainers at the gym.....because I have no problem losing the pounds but I have all this "saggy skin" but my trainer says it's not actually all skin it's still fat and as you reduce ur body fat percentage and start weight training you should be able to tighten most of it up and I'm by no means as young as you sweetie so u should be good if u keep up the good work!!!! :))))
  • DCHound
    DCHound Posts: 12
    Options
    A lot of the previous posters are correct - skin is the largest organ of your body, heavy weight training does help, and skin can bounce back on its own depending on factors like age, highest weight, if you've yo-yoed, and mostly is dependent on genetics. But there are things you can do that will help. I have done a ton of research on this and put my findings in a book, available on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MT4588/ref=nosim?tag=firlooski-20&linkCode=sb1&camp=212353&creative=380549) and a website, www.firmlooseskin.com. The book uses vitamins, minerals, oils, extracts and specific exercises to help skin bounce back without surgery.

Best of luck on your weight loss journey!