Too high of calories?

Options
I started this journey Sept 9th. I weighed in at 257. Today I weighed and I have lost a total of 4 lbs. My calories intake is 2020 per MFP. Is that too many calories? I have a friend that is skinner and her intake is 1200. But I need to lose more, so wondering why mine is so high. I guess I keep tracking?

Replies

• 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What did you set your weight loss goals at when you signed up?
  • sonjajenl
    Options
    Well I had it at 1 lb per week. But I changed it tonight to 2 lbs a week. So that lowered my calories to 1500. So does that sound right?
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Congratulations on your 4 lb. loss. That's great! Since you're concerned about how much you should be eating, you could go back to your home page, click on "weigh in", then find and click the tab that says goals. If you set your goal for about a pound a week, you're doing it! I set mine for about 1.5 lb/wk and so far it's not too far off.

If you're consistently logging your food/exercise and not meeting your weight loss goals, please let your health care professional know. Keep going--you're doing very well!
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    2020 is fine. Mine is similar (1900) and I am 180lb. I think having too small a calorie intake can lead to problems, like what happens when you get to goal? Jumping from 1500 to whatever your maintenance can be a shock to the system and lead to weight gain. Do you really want to be living on 1500 cal a day for the rest of your life? I find having more calories leads to more self control and less temptation or chance of a blow out as you aren't feeling like you are depriving yourself.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It seems like a bit too much, but if you're losing weight, that's all that matters. 1-2 pounds/week is about right.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    It will also lower your cals as you drop weight (if you don't do it before, it will remind you every 10 lbs) remember that you burn more just walking around and doing your daily thing than somebody smaller would.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Make sure you track everything that goes in your mouth, and track all of your actual exercise. Be sure to get lots of water and high fiber foods. :) You'll get there!
    Well I had it at 1 lb per week. But I changed it tonight to 2 lbs a week. So that lowered my calories to 1500. So does that sound right?
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    you are doing great just keep logging and be honest
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Congratulations on your 4 lb. loss. That's great! Since you're concerned about how much you should be eating, you could go back to your home page, click on "weigh in", then find and click the tab that says goals. If you set your goal for about a pound a week, you're doing it! I set mine for about 1.5 lb/wk and so far it's not too far off.

If you're consistently logging your food/exercise and not meeting your weight loss goals, please let your health care professional know. Keep going--you're doing very well!

THIS!
  • jdennisj
    Options
    What is your TDEE? You should probably set your goal to be about 20-30% less than TDEE. Instead of it becoming a journey, think of it more as a healthy lifestyle adjustment. Don't become concerned with mere weight loss. I did that before and put most of that weight back on. I am committed to changing my lifestyle now. Just my two cents.
  • sonjajenl
    Options
    Hey, I will listen to what anyone has to say. I am in on this for the long run. I Have to lose the weight. It will make me feel better and look better.
  • elianexox
    elianexox Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    2020 is fine. Mine is similar (1900) and I am 180lb. I think having too small a calorie intake can lead to problems, like what happens when you get to goal? Jumping from 1500 to whatever your maintenance can be a shock to the system and lead to weight gain. Do you really want to be living on 1500 cal a day for the rest of your life? I find having more calories leads to more self control and less temptation or chance of a blow out as you aren't feeling like you are depriving yourself.

^^THIS!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yah your calories don't seem too high :)
    I shoot for 1500-1700 with half of my work out calories, but really if you can loose close to maintenance it's better for your metabolism.

Or so I've heard.