Pizza crust ideas?

Options
ltlhmom
ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
Hi! I'm looking a pizza crust idea that doesn't have to many calories. Any Ideas? Tonight I made a pizza on Joseph's - Flax, Oat Bran, & Whole Wheat Flour Pita Bread, Classico - Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 0.25 cup, Mozzarella Cheese, 1/4 cup and Weaver - Chicken Nuggets, 2 Pieces it came to 335 calories. It was OK but the pita had a little bit of a different taste being baked.

Replies

• unnimenon
    unnimenon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too. I want a low calorie count pizza. I have given up pizza since I went on mfp.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    This was posted by a lady on one of my thread I am a part of...she raves about it!

Homemade Pizza Recipe... RECIPE! (mine)

You can either buy your crust, or make this low sodium one I found:
    2 t Active dry yeast
    3 1/2 c Bread Flour
    1 1/2 c Water
    2 t Honey
    2 T Olive Oil

Place ingredients in bread machine in order specified by manufacturer and process on dough cycle. Turn out the dough onto a floured board. At this point you may form the pizzas, or refrigerate the dough for several hours, well wrapped in plastic so it won't dry out. (Although a refrigerator rest is not necessary, it makes the dough easier to handle.) Makes enough dough for two 12-inch pizzas, or two 10-inch thick-crust pizzas. Bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned around the edges. Top as desired and return to oven until cheese is melted and crust browned, about 15 minutes total.

Andy liked the crust I made!:

Make crust as directed above
    1 red bell pepper
    1 green bell pepper
    1 can sliced, pitted olives, rinsed
    1 sweet onion
    2 Tomatoes
    1 Can Pizza Sauce (also got from Walmart, check labels for lowest sodium one!)
    1 pack fresh sliced mushrooms (available in produce dept)
    1 bag shredded cheese (also check sodium-- tillamook seems to be the best)
    1 can pineapple

Lay crust on baking sheet. Sauce lightly. Measure 1 cup cheese & sprinkle. Pile up all the yummy things! Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on top. Bake as directed on crust package.

Calorie damage: 800 cals for HALF the pizza! ZOW! Amazing, right? Most chains are that much in about 2 slices. You won't want to get take out again (we sure don't!)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I love pizza made on a greek pita, but the pita alone has 220 calories. Salsa or homemade marinara are good low-cal sauce options.
  • la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Eat your favourite pizza- just a lot less of it! It has worked for me and I have not had to comprise taste, just calories!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I bake. A lot. And most of the pizza crust recipes I've found are low calorie by dividing them into many, single serving portions. At any rate, here is one that I use a lot.

Low Calorie Pizza Crust Ingredients
    2 ½ cups of flour + excess flour for kneading
    1 Tablespoon of Yeast (1 package)
    ½ Teaspoon of Salt
    1 Cup of Hot Water
    2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
    1 Tablespoon of Cornmeal (white or yellow)
    To prepare pizza crust combine flour, yeast and salt in a deep mixing bowl. Add hot water & oil then knead for 5 minutes, adding additional flour as necessary to keep dough pliable. Return dough to bowl and cover with damp tea towel. Allow to rest for 30 minutes. Punch down, then divide dough into 10 equal portions.

Work dough to form crust, then before placing into a pizza, pie, cake or torte pan be sure to spray with cooking spray, then sprinkle on cornmeal. Situate dough on top of cornmeal. Top with the following ingredients before baking at 400-degrees in a preheated oven until crust is golden brown and filling is hot and cheesy:

Low Calorie Pizza Filling Ingredients - Fills ONE Pizza Crust
    2 ounces of part SKIM Mozzarella cheese, grated (75 calories per ounce)
    ½ cup of sliced sauteed mushrooms
    ½ cup of sauteed spinach, well drained
    1 teaspoon of sliced sauteed onions

Each pizza has 350 calories.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    This was posted by a lady on one of my thread I am a part of...she raves about it!

Cuz it's AWESOME!!!

The crust recipe Nicole posted came from http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/BasicPizzaDough.htm

I made it the other night for the first time, and it was just as good as any chain crust I've tasted! I even used splenda in place of honey, and it turned out great!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You can put them on regular tortilla shells too. I've used the low carb and they're just as good.
  • emzoe
    emzoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make mini pizzas with the quaker white cheddar rice cakes...just put some pizza sauce, cheese (i use colby jack-personal fav) and what ever toppings u like...and only adds up to 80 cals each! I love them...of course not as much as regular pizza, but for 80 cals...u cant beat it!
  • kendallina
    Options
    We just used flatout bread tonight for the first time with veggie pizzas. It's only 100 calories and crisped really nicely. We will definitely be repeating that recipe.
    Katy
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I was using pita bread-2, but can use one. This weekend Im going to try it on a Arnonds multigrain 1/2 a bun-50 caloires, and see how that works.
  • Portcitymatt
    Options
    Low carb tortillas work just fine
  • volks80
    volks80 Posts: 56
    Options
    Low carb tortillas work just fine

This is what I use as well. Tastes yummy!
  • shay3311
    Options
    Tortillas are the best, especially if you love thin crust pizza like I do! Also instead of pizza sauce we will buy (and make homemade!) different pesto sauces, so much more flavor! The small tortillas are great to make a bunch of different pizzas with different toppings so that way everyone can have their own!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,713 Member
    Options
    I like the Boboli whole wheat ones.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I use the flatout breads as well, it's more like a flatbread than pizza. Trader Joe's has a whole wheat pizza shell that is good as well.....
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I like the boboli (sp) whole wheat ones too. I also use the Arnolds or Orowheat (depending where you live) sandwich thins. Either toast them first or just sauce them up, cheese whatever you want you put it in the oven. Yummy stuff.
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

Cuz it's AWESOME!!!

The crust recipe Nicole posted came from http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/BasicPizzaDough.htm

I made it the other night for the first time, and it was just as good as any chain crust I've tasted! I even used splenda in place of honey, and it turned out great!

This sounds yummy ..i think i am going to try it this week. With some pinnaple and ham...my fav pizza.

I don't have a like a pizza stone or pizza pan...has anybody else made pizza on just a rectangler cookie sheet ..does it turn out ok?
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I found some Tandoori Naan by Bakery at Walmart on the reduced rake this week. There is 2 in a package - for 1 it is 360 calories. But it was pretty tasty.
  • lucky62781
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My favorite pizza crust is garlic naan. :) 370 calories, though... you have to plan your day for it. Well worth it!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Lildebbie, we never use a pizza pan. We only own cookie sheets. Just put some tinfoil down before you put the dough on, and work all your toppings there. It'll be fine :)