Strength Training for Children

My son is 10 years old. He's a very good athlete. He's one of the better hockey players at his school, and they have one of the best teams in the country for their age (their team finished 2nd last season). Things are going quite well. However...

When I was young, I played many sports, and did well. But looking back, I can see that my lack of strength limited my ability. I was in good shape, but too thin and not strong enough. Since rededicating myself to getting in shape, I've taken up lifting (using the Stronglifts 5x5 model), and it is transforming my body. I am stronger now at 45 than I was at 25... I only wish I had done this when I was much younger. I am sure it would have had a tremendous impact on my ability, even at quite a young age.

I can see the same dynamic with my son. He's a natural talent, above average size, but he's not as strong as some of the other boys. As he gets a bit older and hockey becomes even more physical, this is going to be a limiting factor for him. Plus, core strength will help him skate faster, which is critical.

So my question: How can I help him get stronger in a way that is both safe and motivating for a 10 year old boy?

He loves hockey (and soccer, and just about every sport). He's very, very competitive. But he's also young... I want to make sure whatever he does is safe. And I also want to make sure it's fun for him. Otherwise, he'll stop.

Any thoughts? Specific programs? Links?

--P

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    First of all, does he WANT to strength train or is this something you have chosen for him?
  • Sounds like you are projecting your regrets onto him.

If he is active, he will bulk up anyway.
    No need to rush it.
    I have been a sports instructor trainer for 20 years and I refuse to teach kids my sport (scuba diving) until they hit 14. Then their skeletal structure is significantly stronger and close to being formed completely, and can then deal with the rigours of lifting weight. (tanks and weights will put on up to 60lbs/30kgs a time)

Leave him be. Work his lungs and heart, and he will enjoy that as much.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Sounds like you are projecting your regrets onto him.

If he is active, he will bulk up anyway.
    No need to rush it.
    I have been a sports instructor trainer for 20 years and I refuse to teach kids my sport (scuba diving) until they hit 14. Then their skeletal structure is significantly stronger and close to being formed completely, and can then deal with the rigours of lifting weight. (tanks and weights will put on up to 60lbs/30kgs a time)

Leave him be. Work his lungs and heart, and he will enjoy that as much.

^ This.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    While I agree somewhat with the above, my 11 year old son loves to work out with his father and I. We let him do aerobic and body weight exercises. Keeps him happy and has improved his strength and sports.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Oh my. This thread has been officially hijacked.

[irony]

Yes, I'm a terrible dad who is forcing his kid to lift weights to relive my own, lost childhood. Thanks...

[/irony]

As to the helpful comment of waiting until he's 14, is that based on any research? It makes perfect sense, but it would be nice to have some data behind that... Also, it doesn't have to be barbell training, obviously. Even body weight exercises can be beneficial, perhaps preferable, even at 10. Or not?

I remember reading a study some time back that strength training at a young age is incredibly helpful, with long term health benefits. But can't seem to recall if 10 is too young or not.

Thanks again,

--P
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Yeh only body weight training thou, he is 10 yrs old he still growing so you should go easy on the weights.
    I volunteered at my local gym last yr and i do remember one of the staff members saying that they had a limit with age in the weights area, 14 yrs is when they should start and even then they may go crazy with BIG weights and injure themselves
  • Kids as young as 7 or 8 years old can usually do strength-training activities such as push-ups and sit-ups as long as they show some interest, can perform the exercises safely, and follow instructions.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    AAP said there is no minimum age for strength training.

http://www.sectiononewrestling.com/strength_training_for_kids.pdf
  • BeautyFromPain
    Oh my. This thread has been officially hijacked.

[irony]

Yes, I'm a terrible dad who is forcing his kid to lift weights to relive my own, lost childhood. Thanks...

[/irony]

As to the helpful comment of waiting until he's 14, is that based on any research? It makes perfect sense, but it would be nice to have some data behind that... Also, it doesn't have to be barbell training, obviously. Even body weight exercises can be beneficial, perhaps preferable, even at 10. Or not?

I remember reading a study some time back that strength training at a young age is incredibly helpful, with long term health benefits. But can't seem to recall if 10 is too young or not.

Thanks again,

--P

I think this has more to do with the fact that in your post, you spend more time pointing out what you didn't get to do when you were younger vs what your son actually want to do.
  • As to the helpful comment of waiting until he's 14, is that based on any research?

Evidence of 15 year old scuba divers who have been diving since 12 with curvature of the spine due to the additional weight.
    20 years of experience of how it bulks people up and how it also can cause long-term back problems if it is started too early.

Swimming is low impact, bulk gaining. Look at swimmers shoulders.
    Football (the soccer kind) bulks legs ... field hockey even better. (im guessing ice hockey is the same)
    Cycling the same.
    Tennis for upper body.

The human structure is still developing at 10 years old, and it needs care not to strain it. resistance training will build muscle without straining the skeleton or the ligaments.
  • Prahasaurus
    I think this has more to do with the fact that in your post, you spend more time pointing out what you didn't get to do when you were younger vs what your son actually want to do.

Because it's relevant that lack of strength training can be inhibiting, even at a young age, and this is consistent with what I've read. Let's just assume for the point of this tread that I'm not a terrible, domineering father who would force anything on his son, ok?
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    my 5 yr old girl and 7 year old son love working out with me doing body weight circuits.. mr 7 also loves to lift weights.. though the heaviest i will let him lift is 10kg, but he loves doing pushups and pullups as well. Miss 5 loves burpees. My 12 year old girl also works out with me on occasion though not as often as she said she wanted to lol, i guess the novelty wore off. I dont push my kids to do so, I let them make their own decision but they see me doing it and they want to join in. Before i let them do anything I make sure their form is good and then i watch them and make sure they keep doing it properly, once they've had enough we stop.

They dont work out with me all the time but when they want to I take the time to make sure they do it properly and have fun as well. If they grow up with a healthy attitude to exercise I'll be happy.

Have you talked about this with your son? If he wants to do it then I don't see why you shouldn't get into strength training for him. If hockey is important to him and he wants to get better and you know this will help then tell him and ask his opinion about what he wants to do.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    the 14 year cuttoff is utterly false. edit: tho i will concede the point on 14 being fine for carrying tons of scuba gear. I dunno about that., I'm just talking weight training.

there is no such thing as too young. Hell, the younger the better. A kid whos able to be stronger and use his body more proficiently will perform sports better and safer. The idea that a kid is too young to lift weights is garbage. Why is weights bad, but football smashing into each other ok? Is the resistance kids face from that somehow different from the resistance of pushing iron thru gravity? (hint, it's not). Proper form, proper template = sports success.

Just make sure it's something he wants to do.
  • Prahasaurus
    As to the helpful comment of waiting until he's 14, is that based on any research?

Evidence of 15 year old scuba divers who have been diving since 12 with curvature of the spine due to the additional weight.
    20 years of experience of how it bulks people up and how it also can cause long-term back problems if it is started too early.

Swimming is low impact, bulk gaining. Look at swimmers shoulders.
    Football (the soccer kind) bulks legs ... field hockey even better. (im guessing ice hockey is the same)
    Cycling the same.
    Tennis for upper body.

The human structure is still developing at 10 years old, and it needs care not to strain it. resistance training will build muscle without straining the skeleton or the ligaments.

Aha. Ok, so no research, just personal observation.

--P
  • Jynus
    my 5 yr old girl and 7 year old son love working out with me doing body weight circuits.. mr 7 also loves to lift weights.. though the heaviest i will let him lift is 10kg, but he loves doing pushups and pullups as well. Miss 5 loves burpees. My 12 year old girl also works out with me on occasion though not as often as she said she wanted to lol, i guess the novelty wore off. I dont push my kids to do so, I let them make their own decision but they see me doing it and they want to join in. Before i let them do anything I make sure their form is good and then i watch them and make sure they keep doing it properly, once they've had enough we stop.

They dont work out with me all the time but when they want to I take the time to make sure they do it properly and have fun as well. If they grow up with a healthy attitude to exercise I'll be happy.

Have you talked about this with your son? If he wants to do it then I don't see why you shouldn't get into strength training for him. If hockey is important to him and he wants to get better and you know this will help then tell him and ask his opinion about what he wants to do.
    you realize that when he's doing pushups, he's pushing more than 10kg right? resistance is resistance. wether from body weight or iron. the body doesn't know the difference.
  • Prahasaurus
    the 14 year cuttoff is utterly false.

there is no such thing as too young. Hell, the younger the better. A kid whos able to be stronger and use his body more proficiently will perform sports better and safer. The idea that a kid is too young to lift weights is garbage. Why is weights bad, but football smashing into each other ok? Is the resistance kids face from that somehow different from the resistance of pushing iron thru gravity? (hint, it's not). Proper form, proper template = sports success.

This is what I had assumed, and consistent with what I've read.

I agree 100% that he should want to do it himself. And for that it needs to be fun, and competitive. As I've said, he loves to do anything that involves competition.

Any suggestions on how to motivate him for this? Again, if he doesn't enjoy it, there is no way I'd ever push him. However, a well thought out program can be fun. And it would be good to have some suggestions here....

Thanks!

--P
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349

you realize that when he's doing pushups, he's pushing more than 10kg right? resistance is resistance. wether from body weight or iron. the body doesn't know the difference.

yeah I know this, but I am new to weights myself and as I learn then i can teach him. I prefer to let him do more with body weight exercises until I am more sure of what I get him to do with free weights when he wants to do them
  • Jynus
    the 14 year cuttoff is utterly false.

This is what I had assumed, and consistent with what I've read.

I agree 100% that he should want to do it himself. And for that it needs to be fun, and competitive. As I've said, he loves to do anything that involves competition.

Any suggestions on how to motivate him for this? Again, if he doesn't enjoy it, there is no way I'd ever push him. However, a well thought out program can be fun. And it would be good to have some suggestions here....

Thanks!

--P
    Westside for skinny *kitten* 3 is a very good sports template. Just make sure any maximal effort is not done in singles, rather 5 rep work min.

In terms of making it fun. Well, lifting is NOT fun, the point of it is it's WORK that you do. And by doing that, you get the FUN of seeing your body kick *kitten* because of the time you put into it. Same principle as to why he spends so many hours doing practice and not playing games.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    My son is also 10. On the very skinny side for his age, but muscular and extremely active. I found a Junior Certification class at my gym and he is currently finishing up the class. It helped him not only learn how to use the machines in the gym but also taught him about his body and its growth and how to make it stronger safely. Better information than I could have provided with my research. He is excited about being able to use the machines, and now we are signed up for a Mud Race in November to supplement his desire to remain strong AND healthy. My daughter went through the same program when she was 10 (just turned 12) and now absolutely loves weight lifting and puts a lot of young men in there to shame :laugh:
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Here's a thought.....take him to the park. Not trying to dog on you, but if he's out doing "natural" strength exercises for his age group (monkey bars, things like that) he will develop anyways. I mean, if he wants to then sure, but don't force the strength training on him. Try to get him some strength training that is more play than anything.