How bad is it to not take a rest day every week?

During the week I am doing 2 full bodies (2, 2 day splits)- strength training. I also do about an hour cardio 4-5 times a week, mixing it up... I have 2 dance classes a week, then sometimes I will run, sometimes crosstrainer, bike, bodyweight circuit style, etc. I also stretch after every session.

Rest days are really hard for me as exercise is my antidepressant... and was just wondering how bad is it not take a rest day every week?

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    We need rest days but I know what you mean about having to do SOMETHING. On my rest days I just walk or cycle
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Real bad. It does to your body what working seven days a week without a break would do to your brain.

Gotta rest. You know that muscle only grows at rest right? Protein fills in the tears in the muscle wall while at rest.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Rest is as important if not more than doing exercise. Your body needs time to repair itself from the exercise.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    It may affect your central nervous system if you don't have a rest day. Your rest day could include something restorative like yoga or Pilates etc so you'd get your fix.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Would it be okay to just do light cardio?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    I think so, just keep it light and short
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    During the week I am doing 2 full bodies (2, 2 day splits)- strength training. I also do about an hour cardio 4-5 times a week, mixing it up... I have 2 dance classes a week, then sometimes I will run, sometimes crosstrainer, bike, bodyweight circuit style, etc. I also stretch after every session.

Rest days are really hard for me as exercise is my antidepressant... and was just wondering how bad is it not take a rest day every week?

Maybe some yoga? It's not intensive, it's still weight training (usually) and most types have a winddown meditation session at the end which will do wonders for the antidepressant factor (does for me, anyhow...)
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Rest is physically necessary so that the muscles can repair, rebuild and strengthen.
  • kienec
    kienec Posts: 3 Member
    I've been a trainer for 5 years and been exercising my entire life. Exercise of some sort is important every day. The key is intensity. On your "rest day" do what is called "active rest" and pick something that is not as intense as your other workouts. Go for a bike ride on a trail and just enjoy, do yoga, go for a walk. The bottom line is that you keep your body and mind active but just lower the intensity of it. I definitely suggest to anyone I work with that they not weight train 7 days a week. Take at least one day off to allow the entire body to rest from the stress of weights.

I do understand the need for exercise and as long as you keep moderation in mind you can do it 7 days a week. HTH :-)
  • I've been a trainer for 5 years and been exercising my entire life. Exercise of some sort is important every day. The key is intensity. On your "rest day" do what is called "active rest" and pick something that is not as intense as your other workouts. Go for a bike ride on a trail and just enjoy, do yoga, go for a walk. The bottom line is that you keep your body and mind active but just lower the intensity of it. I definitely suggest to anyone I work with that they not weight train 7 days a week. Take at least one day off to allow the entire body to rest from the stress of weights.

I do understand the need for exercise and as long as you keep moderation in mind you can do it 7 days a week. HTH :-)

I have been wondering about this. I exercise everyday. It's how I get myself going in the morning and i don't feel right if I don't do it. I don't like taking rest days. I alternate cardio, strength and then something lighter that just makes me feel good. Thanks for the info., I feel much better about it now.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    well i go hard 7 days a week,, if i do not do it, i am totally off, i just have to do it,,, my rest day, if you would call it that,,, would go from a 3 hour cardio,,,, to a 2, but i still do it daily!
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    i do 30 mins + every day but i alternate circuits one day, tai chi and yoga next day and just go with that x hope it helps
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    well i go hard 7 days a week,, if i do not do it, i am totally off, i just have to do it,,, my rest day, if you would call it that,,, would go from a 3 hour cardio,,,, to a 2, but i still do it daily!

3 hours of cardio a day? Why? Do you do weights as well?