Mothers, diets and drinking :)

Options
my mother, 65 is concerned about the weight she is putting on....

she wants to go on a diet.....

her BMR is 1660 cals....

she is selectively vegetarian...

her intake is 1200cals.... excluding her alchohol consumption which is approx 600-700 cals a day, 3-4 galsses of wine....

i have put it to her that she wants to starve herself further to accomodate her drinking habit - or "you want to eat less to pickle your liver" am i correct?

i told her to drink more water and eat more food with better nutrition, less sugars, less carbs and she will waste away.

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me but that seems like a large amount of alcohol to drink per day for a woman her age, especially one trying to take in so few calories to lose weight. I think your advice is good, problem is getting her to follow it, right? Try to inspire her by showing her the 'Before and After' pictures of people on the forum who've done it the RIGHT way, there's some fabulous testimonies on there!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think you are right that this is not a great combination. Veg diets can be low in B12 (not for those who are throughtful with their diets, of course, but sounds like she's not), and excessive alcohol consumption interferes with B12 absorption, so it's highly likely she's got a deficiency there.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    At some point she is going to have to choose, between weight and wine.