Managing food and exercise when travelling

Options
Hi There
I was wondering, for those of you who travel a lot (for work), how do you manage food and exercise?

I could think of the obvious "just choose wisely when eating out" or "workout at the hotel gym" but what if it's not so easy? What about if you have food limitations/ allergies? What if it's not safe to run outside where you go (say you are in Russia or Turkey - not that I think it's unsafe, I just mean maybe it's less safe)?

How do you fill in your diary if you don't know the correct portions (I'm an OCD weigher/measurer) or what's really in the food? Do you try to do it intuitively?

I'm only asking because there *may* be a possibility that I will change jobs soon and there would be a lot of travel involved - I already have trouble just going to the gym on the schedule I have now, but food is pretty ok. These are the things I think about and currently I eat about 80% paleo (with sometimes GF bread and dairy products) - it's already kind of a challenge to find GF options here in the Netherlands, but I have no idea what it's like in other countries!

Would be great to hear how you manage it, if this is you :) (if you see this message and we are connected on twitter or facebook, please don't mention it there)

Thanks
Renée

Replies

• searolex
    Options
    My sister gave me a copy of Paul McKenna’s book “I can make you slim”. I got real inspiration from it. Managing food and exercise is not about diets, calories and weighing/measuring yourself. An awareness of these things helps of course but the real change is in your mind. I travel about three times or four times a year – with the boss and a couple of his associates. I have to eat and stay where they are and don’t have a lot of control over food or exercise. I have yet to travel away since I started changing my diet and eating habits in August. I will let you know how I get on.
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I travel weekly for work, have done so for the last 20 years. There is no doubt that travel makes it more difficult to maintain good eating habits. A few things that I do to try to maintain.

I always keep some bars (power bars, clif, etc) with me so that I have a decent snack when I get hungry
    Stop at a local grocery store and buy some fresh fruit, or take some from the hotel if they have any.
    I always try to stay at a hotel that has a decent fitness area, or that is close to a gym.
    Instead of sitting in the bar, or at the gate at the airport, I will walk the terminal until it is time to board.

It is possible to do when you travel, you just have to make it a priority. The biggest thing that kills me is that I like to try local cuisine and local restaurants. I try to never eat at big, national chains. I figure that if I have to do an extra hour on the treadmill, it is worth it to try something local and new.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    I don't need to travel for work (anymore), and am only on vacation at the moment. I'm finding that fitting in an hour on the elliptic trainer at the gym associated to the hotel, first thing in the morning gives me a 500-600 buffer for restaurant meals. The entries might not be terribly accurate, but the MFP database contains a lot of generic restaurant dishes. This week, I've managed to log Korean, Thai, Japanese and Diner food this way. Friend me if you want to take a look at my diary.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My sister gave me a copy of Paul McKenna’s book “I can make you slim”. I got real inspiration from it. Managing food and exercise is not about diets, calories and weighing/measuring yourself. An awareness of these things helps of course but the real change is in your mind. I travel about three times or four times a year – with the boss and a couple of his associates. I have to eat and stay where they are and don’t have a lot of control over food or exercise. I have yet to travel away since I started changing my diet and eating habits in August. I will let you know how I get on.

Oh! i have that book. I do think that this is almost a sign saying "now you need to get it right in your head" to make this successful. When I've been away on holiday this year especially I hardly gained any weight (I think it was 1.5KG - generally I come back with 3 -5KG extra) because I WAS more in my head thinking "just because you are on holiday doesn't mean you have to eat all the food"

this opportunity would mean 3 days a week travel one week, the next week no travel, etc. So it's a LOT of travel.

Good luck to you when you do have to go away!
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    I travel weekly for work, have done so for the last 20 years. There is no doubt that travel makes it more difficult to maintain good eating habits. A few things that I do to try to maintain.

I always keep some bars (power bars, clif, etc) with me so that I have a decent snack when I get hungry
    Stop at a local grocery store and buy some fresh fruit, or take some from the hotel if they have any.
    I always try to stay at a hotel that has a decent fitness area, or that is close to a gym.
    Instead of sitting in the bar, or at the gate at the airport, I will walk the terminal until it is time to board.

It is possible to do when you travel, you just have to make it a priority. The biggest thing that kills me is that I like to try local cuisine and local restaurants. I try to never eat at big, national chains. I figure that if I have to do an extra hour on the treadmill, it is worth it to try something local and new.

noted - nutrition bars fruit/ fruit from the hotel and GREAT idea to keep moving in the terminal instead of just sitting around.

Since we don't have huge chains over here (I think in general it's less) that wouldn't be an issue, but yeah I LOVE trying food in different countries and that's where I think, hmmm, wonder what's actually in there? Hahaha!

I already know I will bring my workout gear for hotel gyms, but I would need to follow the travel policy at work so I may not always have a hotel with a gym.

I need to get over my hate of the treadmill too, methinks...
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    I don't need to travel for work (anymore), and am only on vacation at the moment. I'm finding that fitting in an hour on the elliptic trainer at the gym associated to the hotel, first thing in the morning gives me a 500-600 buffer for restaurant meals. The entries might not be terribly accurate, but the MFP database contains a lot of generic restaurant dishes. This week, I've managed to log Korean, Thai, Japanese and Diner food this way. Friend me if you want to take a look at my diary.

thanks for the input - morning workouts will probably be best if possible, never know what is going to happen after work or if I'm just too exhausted.

a guess is probably better than nothing - and I will be more aware of the amount if I'm still logging.

thanks a lot!
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

This. When I travel, I make sure the hotel has a good fitness area or there is a gym close by where I can get on the treadmill and do some weights. At the airport, I do the same thing...walk the terminal before it's time to board. 4-5 laps in an Atlanta terminal for example can give a nice walk and get a lot of walking in this way. I usually go to a grocery store and get healthy foods to keep in my room like greek yogurt, fruits and vegetables, etc... If I have a microwave, I will buy healthier foods that I can make in my room and will not eat out. I will still go with my coworkers to be sociable, but will just have salad and coffee. If I do eat out, I try to plan my choices ahead of time using my phone and internet so that I can make the best choices. Also, I make sure I take the stairs as much as possible instead of using hotel elevators. This adds activity that helps maintain my weight loss goals.
  • catsph123
    catsph123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I travel pretty often for work usually for a week at a time. I make a point to work out every morning. I get up early and hit the gym at the hotel. I also pack snacks from home, such as apples, baby carrots, almonds and Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread, so I know that I will at least have a few days worth of snacks.

Also, I try to find out in advance what restaurants and grocery stores are nearby the hotel so I can plan out what I will eat while I am on the road.

I tend to stick to salads without any dressing if I go out to eat and I usually just have to estimate when logging my food. Hope this helps!
  • zoepope1
    zoepope1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What about investing in a portable DVD player and some really good exercise DVDs so it doesn't matter what time of day or where you are you could always fit something like this in? x
  • lhs1965
    lhs1965 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a Leslie Saone Walk away the pounds loaded on my tablet. Most hotels now have WFI and MFP has apps you can use. I have this loaded on my tablet also. Airports are a good place to walk as it seems like their hall ways get longer and longer. I have also used Lowes and Home Depot to walk in when it is dark. You would be surprised what a good walk you can get in, walk the perimeter 1st and then weave up and down each aisle. I try to take steps whenever possible. These are just a few things I do, hope it might help you.
    As far as eating out I always find something that will fit my needs. Some times I just order an appetizer and a salad. Also you can always ask to have items prepared with out rich sauces or butter.
  • Dianecg
    Dianecg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I did a post yesterday under the Exercise group re: hotel room exercises. Go to that post. There were lots of great suggestions and links! As for food, I have the same challenges, especially during business dinners. But here are some tips:

Take healthy protein bars with you.
    Get hotels with microwave/fridge in room, find grocery store and buy healthy frozen meals.
    Eat lots of protein for breakfast - egg whites, turkey bacon, etc.
    For room service, make them keep the bread.
    Substitute steamed veggies for starches, if allowed. If not, tell them to hold the starches.

Last but not least - drink LOTS of water.

Add me as a friend if you like and we can help each other on business trips. I have one coming up at the end of next week and then a big one at the end of the month.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    When I have to travel, I often take food with me :) I take oats and cans of tuna. When I get there, if I know there will be a fridge, I buy low fat yoghurt and eggs to keep for snacks, and make my own sandwiches. I also always take my jump rope and interval timer, so there is no excuse not to burn a few cals. If there is a buffet, I always take the veg/ protein first, then go back if I want anything else, to try to control my appetite. Having said thay, I LOVE to taste local cuisine also :)
  • Dianecg
    Dianecg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a Leslie Saone Walk away the pounds loaded on my tablet. Most hotels now have WFI and MFP has apps you can use. I have this loaded on my tablet also. Airports are a good place to walk as it seems like their hall ways get longer and longer. I have also used Lowes and Home Depot to walk in when it is dark. You would be surprised what a good walk you can get in, walk the perimeter 1st and then weave up and down each aisle. I try to take steps whenever possible. These are just a few things I do, hope it might help you.
    As far as eating out I always find something that will fit my needs. Some times I just order an appetizer and a salad. Also you can always ask to have items prepared with out rich sauces or butter.

You just gave me a great idea! When going to Home Depot or Lowes for supplies, first do a store walk like you describe above THEN do the shopping. More steps! I also like this idea when traveling.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot - in the last six months I've been to Canada, Sweden, and South Africa and I'm going to the Netherlands and Sweden next week for work.

You can log anywhere offline with a cell phone app. Or from your computer if you're online. It works remarkably well.

When eating out, chose veggie over fish over chicken over beef entree. Skip sauces. If portions are too large and you can't take I leftovers home, order appetizers. Get salads with dressing on the side.

There are nice visual guides to judge portions. Order water to drink. Avoid breads.

Do stairs and walk as much as possible. I am not an exerciser, but there are DVDs you can use in your computer. Personally, I just walk and do sit-ups/planks.

I've lost steadily.
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    wow awesome responses. thank you guys so much!