Excessive water weight

Options
I have a friend who is eating healthy-eating low cal, but somedays a bit over on the sodium (NOT everyday, and not to excess at all). Drinking usually 14 bottles of water a day. However, his weight is fluctuating constantly 3-4 lbs. He also exercises daily, really working up a sweat. At his weight, I know he should have lost more weight than he has, and he's getting discouraged. He's really thinking about talking to his doctor about a diuretic. For the record, he hates asparagus, which I know is a natural diuretic.....thoughts???

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    How big are the bottles of water?? 14 sounds like gallons!! You dont need to OTT with the water - 2 litres per day is fine

There could be lots of reasons, does he feel bloated?

Has he increased his exercise? (Muscles hold on to water to repair)

Is he eating enough? (Body will hold on to fat/water if he's not eating enough)

Is he stressed? (Again, body holds on if under duress)

Coffee is a natural diuretic too!

:flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    diuretics for weight loss is not a good idea.

3 to 4 lbs fluctuation is normal.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    It could be his muscles holding onto the water for repair since he exercises, I wouldn't worry about a 3-4 lbs fluctuation it is normal.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    they are 16 oz bottles of water. If he drinks half his body weight, which is recommended, he should be drinking about 170 oz a day.

Unfortunately his scale is just stuck. Those 3-4 lbs have been staying put for weeks. With all the working out and clean eating he's doing, it's just a mystery.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Has he taken measurements?
    He may have still lost inches.
    Also muscles might look better.
    Get him to concentrate on what he has acieved, being fitter and s tronger.

For me i notice that if i eat alot of protein, i will be lighter the next day, but if i lifted eights i will be heavier.
    There are plenty of other natural diuretics he cab incorporate into diet, just google them
  • samlankford
    Options
    tell him to try upping his potassium to help get rid of water weight... I try to drink 1 can 11.5 oz of low sodium v8 a day... has something like 1180 mg of potassium... but if he is not into v8 then just pick fruits and veggies that have lots of potassium... but I agree that the muscles do hold water as they are repairing themselves, it sucks but does not last forever..
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Has he taken measurements?
    He may have still lost inches.
    Also muscles might look better.
    Get him to concentrate on what he has achieved, being fitter and s tronger.

For me i notice that if i eat alot of protein, i will be lighter the next day, but if i lifted weights i will be heavier.
    There are plenty of other natural diuretics he can incorporate into diet, just google them

this^^^ with typo corrections :p
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    How low-cal are we talking? First thing that came to mind = not eating enough.
  • darcygooding
    Options
    The sodium is retaining his water. I've noticed that if I have a salty meal the night before I weigh myself. Also 14 bottles of water a day sounds like a lot. How much is he working out?