When will I see results?

Options
hi everyone
I made the change in my life to become healthier on June 1st 2012 and have lost about 30 pounds. (my ticker says less because when I made my MFP account... i didn't actually use it for another 3 months when I gained more weight and I don't know how to change it to when I actually started). My starting weight was 200 lbs and now I am 168.6 and I am proud and everything but my question to you all is.. When will I see a different me in the mirror? 30 pounds gone I should see something right? I still see the same person. It is getting depressing because I work my butt off and I can't even look in the mirror and see results. I am 5'5" and I was just curious how much I have to lose?

Thank you and I appreciate all the help :)

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55 pounds so far and in the mirror, I see no changes. When I look at pictures though, I go wow, was I really that big? Find some pictures of you at your highest weight and take some current ones and you'll see a difference.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I always heard that other people can start telling after 10 pounds... You see yourself every day so you won't be able to see the change. Do you have a tape measure? That way you can WATCH the change happen.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have lose near 30 (my ticker also doesn't show all that because I joined MFP partway into my loss), and only just recently think MAYBE, SOMETIMES I can see a little difference. My spouse, however, consoles me with telling me fairly regularly that there is a difference :).
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There are 120lb people that are looking in the mirror and they still see the " fat person". It's all in your head, stop thinking in ways that's bring you down and believe in yourself.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Take photos. I don't see changes in a mirror because I see myself every day. It's like watching grass grow. :grumble:
  • shinjite
    Options
    What you see in the mirror is what is focused in your thoughts. Maybe you need to work on accepting yourself and really accepting the effort you have put in. Also, try another method of validating your loss until you get better at really seeing yourself - like photos or something.
  • Mamata2
    Options
    I agree look at some pictures because with 30lbs gone you should defiantly see a difference. Dont get discouraged that your not looking different... I think your just not seeing what u want to see yet...so turn to old pictures :)

We are quite similar in height and SW ...keep going girl your going great!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i didn't see change till i almost hit 20 lbs and my goal was 20 lbs...
  • Mamata2
    Options
    Take photos. I don't see changes in a mirror because I see myself every day. It's like watching grass grow. :grumble:

LOVE IT! :laugh:
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and last year I lost 25lbs and I couldn't see it in the mirror. I did drop a pants size and other ppl were able to see it.
  • tasha_24
    Options
    Im 5'2 and have lost 20lbs and I dont see much diffrence but everyone else comments on it! I did put on a pair of jeans today that I used to wear all the time and there loose, so there obviously is a diffrence! :)
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    a measuring tape is your friend!
    iv only lost 7lbs so far... so to look can see nothing... but according to the tape measure iv lost 6inches in just the past fortnight (really wish id measured before then!!) to see somes gone is just motivation to do more! :D
    x
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Also...find a pair of pants, skirt etc that was kind of snug and now try it on. I'm betting it's much looser now! Mirrors and our own perceptions can be deceptive but my jeans-o-meter never lies!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    You should def see a diff in pictures. In the mirror is a whole other story. Did u take progress pictures? I bet a LOT of money that there would be a diff in them. If you haven't, start. Cuz I saw a diff in pictures with the 1st 10lbs, but not in the mirror.
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There are 120lb people that are looking in the mirror and they still see the " fat person". It's all in your head, stop thinking in ways that's bring you down and believe in yourself.

It scares me how much that happens to me.

On a lighter note, take a picture! Compare yourself at your heavier weight to where you are now and you really will see the difference. :) If you're comfortable, you can always ask around to friends, or if not, definitely what was said above - measure yourself! Look up how to do it accurately and it will show amazing results.
  • samlankford
    Options

yup agree!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the suggestions - pictures are good, but so is taking your measurements once a month and tracking them on a graph or something. I measure waist, hips, neck, upper arm, wrist, thigh, just under the bust. Especially now that I am in the last 10 to lose part of this journey and not losing numbers on the scale...but my measurements and % of body fat continue to get smaller.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55 pounds so far and in the mirror, I see no changes. When I look at pictures though, I go wow, was I really that big? Find some pictures of you at your highest weight and take some current ones and you'll see a difference.

this^^^
  • pamperedpenguin
    pamperedpenguin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat!

29 lbs and not only do I NOT see it, but no ones mentioned that it looks like I have lost weight.

It can be discouraging, I know. But I think at the higher weights (sw: 325; cw: 295) its harder to tell right away. Just keep at it and know that you've done an awesome job and the results will be "seen" soon.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    hi everyone
    I made the change in my life to become healthier on June 1st 2012 and have lost about 30 pounds. (my ticker says less because when I made my MFP account... i didn't actually use it for another 3 months when I gained more weight and I don't know how to change it to when I actually started). My starting weight was 200 lbs and now I am 168.6 and I am proud and everything but my question to you all is.. When will I see a different me in the mirror? 30 pounds gone I should see something right? I still see the same person. It is getting depressing because I work my butt off and I can't even look in the mirror and see results. I am 5'5" and I was just curious how much I have to lose?

Thank you and I appreciate all the help :)

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

I found the following quote useful. You can always notch your calories up or down and give it a little time to find what works for you. The online calories and charts are only a ball park estimate starting point. You must experiment a bit to find what works for you.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Adonis Index and Venus Index workout manuals)

I'm a short female and my RMR is too close to the 1200 calorie limit for that to work for me, so I had to go down. Bigger people have more room in their calorie budget to play with so can go up and still have room for a calorie deficit. That does not usually work for us smaller people who don't have so much room and have a lower RMR. Here are more tips that worked for me as a shorter female with a low RMR and not as much room to work with as most other people on MFP --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout