Need to be in the best shape of my life! Please advise!

Options
2»

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I've seen help change body composition is Yoga. You don't have to go to a class because there are any number of good videos out there. Most people overlook yoga because they think it's a low intensity workout, but from experience I can tell you no matter what exercise you have been doing you will have sore muscles after doing one or two yoga classes. When I am serious about it, come out of the gym looking like I've been in a swimming pool because it is so intense I sweat like crazy. You can really focus on your core and any other areas you want to work on. I've found yoga makes me feel better physically and mentally. Try adding 30-45 minutes a couple times a week and see what you think about it.

I have tried yoga before and I honestly hated it. I have no flexibility, and I'm not a very "calm" person - I like to always be moving, so holding poses just gets me frustrated. People keep telling me to give it another chance though, and they have classes at my gym, so maybe I'll try it out :smile: Thanks!
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have this under control!
    Best of luck to you!:drinker:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I started the Insanity workout a few weeks ago and it is really amazing! I'm totally building muscle and losing fat at the same time. It can be a little tough on the knees, but otherwise am hooked.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Do some research. I have read where intense cardio can work at cross purposes to your lifting goals. Also, you can change your body composition so that you lose fat, but without any weight loss, so is the additional 10 pounds weight loss an absolute necessity? It may be that you only need to tweak your diet macros wise, not necessarily calorie wise, to reach your goal.

No I defintiely don't care about the 10 pounds as long as I lose a few more inches and my remaining belly pooch :P But like I said I've been lifting heavy for months and eating at or below maintenance and not seeing much fat loss at all. And I can't eat too far below maintenance because then I wont' be able to have the strength to keep lifting. So, more cardio seemed like a possible solution. I like to think my macros are alright, I have them at 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein right now, but I do go over on one of them some days (usually carbs or fat, but occasionally protein). I am about to lower my carbs though and try really hard not to go over on those. I do get at least 1g protein per lb of body weight every day, usually more.

I agree with the suggestion of following one of the programs on Bodybuilding.com. I have not yet done any, but I have read a lot over there, and I'm sure you can find examples of those who have accomplished what you want within the time frame you need.
  • Selma10001984
    Selma10001984 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Your excecise plan sounds great, but I think that you can still afford to drop the daily calorie number to 1500 one week and 1600 every other week while including the exercise.

Best of luck to you ;))
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! thats a great achievement

i read this article about what it takes to be a successful fitness model..maybe you could find something here

Some interesting snippets:

1) Avoid all carbs except oatmeal,brown rice and sweet potato
    2) Avoid all fruits except Green apple because most are very sugary where as Green apple is high in fiber and low glycemic
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Put your numbers into a sheet like this, be careful estimating your activity level (most common mistake) keep a eye on your progress and tweak according to loss, eventually the numbers will become intuitive. Remember for every few pounds you lose to re enter your numbers.

A lot of cardio is not crucial to looking good. If you just want to look good then maybe a couple of cardio sessions for cardiovascular health (everyone should be doing at least two 30 min sessions a week, NO EXCUSES) And then lift heavy. You dont really want to lose weight, but fill yourself out to look firmer in a bikini, you'll get this by lifting heavy. Since you want to fill out, dont bother with a SS/SL style programme, but go for a more aesthetics based rep range of 3x8. A lot of Aus bros recommend PPP. Remember stretching is a crucial part of any lifting regime. Buy a foam roller, maybe attend a yoga class as well.

Edit: Forgot the sheet! http://interzone.kicks-*kitten*.net/Calculating_calories.xls

Good luck
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Great job so far, and congrats for being chosen!

In terms of body fat, the best advice I've ever heard was "Abs are made in the kitchen." and it's very true. To lose body fat, you must eat less calories than you burn in a day (and you obviously know that)... However, it's a lot easier to establish a caloric deficit through diet rather than exercise. You would get the same results from decreasing your intake as you would by increasing your burn... and as long as you don't have too drastic of a calorie deficit, it won't impact your lifting or your ability to maintain muscle mass.

Check out Lyle McDonald's website, http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ - Lots of great free advice on the exact topics you are looking for information about. If you can get your hands on a copy, he has a diet book (The Ultimate Diet 2.0) that is specifically geared towards cutting for a competition. From a glance, It looked pretty intense... but if you're committed it may be what you are looking for.

Hope this helps. :)