A question for the runners....

Options
So I am about to start c25k in a few weeks and it occurred to me that anytime that I have ran on a treadmill I always end up with shin splints in a matter of a couple of days, hence always ending my attempt to run for my cardio. I am going to go get my foot measured so I can get into a good running shoe before I start but I wanted to know if there is anything else that I can do to prevent getting splints or even if doing c25k is a good idea.

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    So I am about to start c25k in a few weeks and it occurred to me that anytime that I have ran on a treadmill I always end up with shin splints in a matter of a couple of days, hence always ending my attempt to run for my cardio. I am going to go get my foot measured so I can get into a good running shoe before I start but I wanted to know if there is anything else that I can do to prevent getting splints or even if doing c25k is a good idea.

Go to your closest running store and get fitted for proper running shoes. Kiss your shin splints goodbye!

:)

And this has good advice on preventing them:

http://running.about.com/od/commonrunninginjuries/tp/How-To-Prevent-Shin-Splints.htm
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I wrote an article about this on my blog. You can use this exercise to prevent shin splints too.
    http://muffintopnomore.com/shin-splints-the-simple-solution/
  • teenamai
    teenamai Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I didn't have my running shoes fitted but I love them. I also agree with the above poster, the more I walked/ran the less I got shin splints. I never get them anymore. Good luck on C25K! You will do great :)
  • 1972mom
    Options
    The treadmill is what causes my shin splints. If I run outside my legs are fine. I got a pair of Goruns bu Skecher and they work great. No more issues.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Go slow, get proper rest and learn about proper form.

I think the biggest problem new runners have is they first start running, is they run to often and run too fast. You want at least a day of rest in-between each session of C25K and you want to go slow enough that you don't feel winded at all. You want to able to complete the intervals with ease.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Go slow, get proper rest and learn about proper form.

I think the biggest problem new runners have is they first start running, is they run to often and run too fast. You want at least a day of rest in-between each session of C25K and you want to go slow enough that you don't feel winded at all. You want to able to complete the intervals with ease.

This is pretty much it, go slow and focus on form. The most important thing is to be sure you land with your feet underneath you and not in front of you. Shoes and everything else people have mentioned are important, but basic form is critical.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Transitioning from a heel striker to a mid foot striker saved me from shin splints. I use a shoe with a low heel rise and it has made all the difference.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    ++++ for getting to the running shoe store, the right shoes make a difference
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Definitely run outside if you can, it gives you more control over your speed and means you go at a speed you can manage, not what you think you should be doing. It's less faff with all the intervals too. And if you want to run 5K races, training outside will be better prep.
    Good luck and enjoy!