Cardio and weights, which order.

Options
2»

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    My trainer has me doing 10 minutes before and 20 minutes after.

Yep, agree.

Warm up a little then weights.
    I do my "easy cardio" on weights days... Eg cycling and cross trainer. On the other days I run and do no weights at all.
  • BucsGirl4Life
    BucsGirl4Life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to my cardio, so I always do it first for at least an hour, then I do my strength for another 30 minutes. When I was only doing cardio (running), I was really getting thin, but it was when I started strength training that I saw amazing results in my body, so I'm trying to convince myself to spend more time lifting weights.
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with short period of cardio (30 minutes of low impact or 10 minutes of high impact), then strength, then do more cardio if you want. I may be doing the 30 day shred, as opposed to weights, but I have been doing a 30 minute low impact video beforehand. It energizes me for the more intense workout, and I find I get way more out of the hard workout after doing the light workout. If I went any harder or further, though, it would have the opposite effect.

Think of it this way: Do enough cardio to get your blood moving, so you're nice and warm and get the most out of your lifting, and then when you're finished lifting, do any cardio you intend to do for fat loss.

I think doing it on different days is probably more ideal though.
  • Jesi0725
    Jesi0725 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to start with cardio and then do weights (as the cardio warms up your muscles and allows for better burning of fat in your muscles) and then end with cardio.

This ^^. My trainer told me the same thing. I do about 10 mins of cardio to get warmed up, then weights, then another round of cardio. Per my HRM, I burn a lot more calories this way than if I skip the first round of cardio.