► MFP ALL STAR TEAM ◄

Options
(PLEASE ignore the other thread- the subject is wrong)

I am starting this as a new team for those of us who started out needing to and/or still need to loose 1/2 of our body weight or more.

Nothing against anyone else- but there are some other threads/groups for this- but they seem to have died. I found it a bit disheartening to join groups and see that the person/people "leading" the group had only lost less than 10lbs in a years time. (I realize many of them probably stopped coming to the site- I'm guilty of doing that).. but I know I can bring lots of inspiration to the group= because I am there and have been there- I am already down 66lbs from a start weight of 350! Nothing motivates me more on this site than others who have lost more than I currently have- or who have lost as much as I want to lose!

Someone once said it so well- we have a different set of emotional issues we are dealing with vs. someone who has 20 or 30 lbs to loose. I could write a book about what I've gone through in my life so far. Some ways that it has effected me:
- growing up feeling alone and isolated.
- being teased in school and at home
- having no self esteem
- avoiding gym class at all costs- especially when we did our swimming unit
- skipping eating lunch at school because i was too embarressed to eat in front of others
- never going on a date or being asked out
- never going to a single school dance
- having my "best friends" tease me
- having my best friends share sodas together- but they refused to let me drink out of their glasses because I was "gross"
- having a cousin call you "sledge hammer" all the time when you jumped on their trampoline and having your aunt and uncle not say and word and just ignore it.
- not fitting very well in the desks at high school
- hearing someone in 6th grade say behind your back, "I bet she weighs 200lbs" and realizing at that very moment- that there was no fooling anyone- people knew how much you really weighed.
- being able to wear your moms clothes in 6th grade

as I got older- things changed..
- How pathetic is it to have to say that I've never dated anyone I haven't met online?
- going out with your healthy sisters and having a group of guys hit on them- and the ENTIRE group completely ignores you- as if you aren't even a person and aren't even there
- hearing guys making bets with each other at the table behind you on which one is going to "go hit on the fat girl"
- realizing that men stop and hold doors and go out of their way to be polite and nice for your healthy sisters/friends- and how rude they are to you.. especially when you're alone.
- realizing you can't fit into rides at amusement parks
- realizing you can't do active things with your children
- realizing that you've allowed yourself to let your children learn your bad habits and see them going down the same path
- being pregnant and having family members comment on how they cant even tell your pregnant when you're 9 months along, "well you never look very pregnant.. you always just look big" (gee thanks!)
- having your joints make funny (bad) noises everytime you walk up a stair
- being embaressed to go out to eat- especially at a buffet
- prefer to stay home- rather than go out and be seen in public
- not be able to buy the clothes YOU really want- but instead are stuck finding something that fits and usually looks old-ladyish, doesn't fit right or is extremely overpriced
- HATE clothes shopping and come home crying because you realize in the fitting room mirror that it doesn't matter WHAT you wear- there is no way to hide the way you really look.
- going out with a bunch of friends to the movies and being mortified because they make a joke of the super skinny guy sleeping with a very large woman and having everyone mock him for it etc... Don't get me started on Shallow Hal either...
- being mortified when you see pictures of yourself and realize that you don't look like the 150lb person you see in the mirror staring back at you. (realizing that you really ARE THAT big)
- doing anything you can to avoid eating in front of people
- getting into huge fights because your healthy family doesn't understand why you don't want to walk up to the window at the ice cream store and order ice cream for everyone and bring it back to the car
- having your blood pressure taken at pregnancy check-ups and having a note in your chart for the nurses to make sure they use the really really large cuff
- having an ultrasound done and having the tech make you hold up your stomach flab so she can get better pictures- but missing the seeing the entire thing on the tv- because you can't see it over your stomach
- constant yeast infections between skin folds- no matter how much you shower
- having others not realize why you don't just "jump up"= i mean really? I'd like to see them tie gallons of water around their wastes and arms and legs to equal the extra weight I carry- and then i'd like to see them TRY and make it through one day!
- Holding up all of your stomach 'fat' to get a glimpse of what it would feel like if the weight wasn't there anymore
- feeling self conscious knowing that i breathe loudly and quickly get out of breathe and the worst is when someone says, "are you ok?" and look at you like you're about to have a heart attack. "No really, I'm fine- I just walked quickly down the hallway"
- seeing pictures of yourself and seeing that you don't have any facial features- it's just all covered in fat
- the dreaded double and triple chin
- feeling like you aren't a person
- getting into cars and wondering if the seat belts are going to fit around you or choke you to death
- being so ashamed to do "mundane" things, like wait in line to get on an elevator. and you can't help but think that people are giving you those looks and wondering, "she should be taking the stairs!" or avoiding getting on elevators with people in them because you are so ashamed knowing they are probably thinking, "oh god, here comes the fat girl.. hope it can hold it"

I am 30. I have 3 beautiful daughters (ages 9, 3 and 1). I am an entrepreneur and own my own company. I am also a full-time college student. I could sit here and write for hours all of the things I've gone through and the countless pain it has caused me. There was a point 6 or so years ago that there was a big campaign out for learning to accept your curves etc... and I bought into that for a long time- that i was fine just how I was.. and then one day I realized- sure curvy girls are sexy- but there is a BIG HUGE difference between a healthy curvy girl and a girl who is morbidly obese. I began to become repulsed- and that is what sorta kicked my butt to get things changed. I was repulsed by others who looked the same as me- so why shouldn't I be repulsed by who I had let myself become? I was tired of being looked at in public as a monster.

At my lowest point in my life- I was 353lbs. Simply by cutting out fast food- I dropped 100lbs. And then through 2 pregnancies and a few years- I yo-yo'd between 250 and 199.. I'd get back up to 299 and it'd freak me out- because it was the dreaded 300 that i swore i'd never get to (and i did) and so it would kick my butt into gear and I'd drop back down to 250... but then the emotional problems came through- and people would start to notice the weight and make comments about how great i was looking- and I felt like my wall was down- so I'd start gaining the weight back and rinse and repeat.

I've since dealt with those emotional issues and found myself angry thinking about how many times i'd lost those 50lbs... if i had just kept loosing without gaining- i would have been at my goal weight LONG LONG AGO! So thankfully, here I am now- 66lbs down... and so proud of that! My family is a huge support system for me and I honestly don't know where I would be without MFP!

How much can I inspire you?

Replies

• annabelmartinez
    annabelmartinez Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi.... I'm in... I started this journey on 01/01/10 weighing 222 lbs. I weigh myself every friday and every 1st of the month (I'm with another group that does this) more motivation is always better.

Everything you wrote above hit home in one way or another for me. I yo-yo with my weight too... its crazy. I just had a baby 10/23/09 and working on losing the weight I gained and then some. Anyways, good luck to us.....

Today 1 week after I started I weigh 214.6. 7.4 lbs down... I cant even believe it. I just eat a lot better...... =)

Annabel

377245.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I can relate to many of the things you posted. It is so hard to have your life revolve around being overweight.

I started my weightloss journey last year (Jan 15th actually) at 311 pounds. I have been overweight since I was in grade school, but my weight got out of control after quitting smoking and then 2 pregnancies.

I would love to join this group. Do you have any plans for regular posts (weigh-ins, challenges, etc)?
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you both have joined!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was started to doubt myself because nobody had replied back yet :blushing:

As for this moment- I have nothing concrete planned- I want to get some more members on board first. BUT I do plan on having regular contest and weigh-ins and suggestions from others on what would help motivate them! I cannot stand monotony- so contest will change constantly (which is good to change it up- helps keep you more motivated!) and things will be updated and a good discussion =) I won't let this board die! haha.

I also own a business- and plan on having some prizes for contests for winners =) This will be fun and motivational!
  • sarina87
    sarina87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Wow what a reality right. I know exactly how you feel. I am the little fat sister in my family with all the bombshell sisters and mother. Throughout H.S., i was treated just like you and didn't go to any of my school dances. And the harsh reality of it was that i wasnt even 300 pounds, i was almost 2OO. But i went to one of the worst H.S. in chicago and for some reason everyone was skinny and in gangs and some kind a spanish. Knowone ate lunch. I guess thats poverty for ya. I was made fun of so much for my weight and if i fought back i was stuck in the middle of a gang war. Very scary times. I could go on forever about how crappy life was

Regardless, i think your story is very inspiring and i was truly touched by it. I am adding you as a friend.

sarina
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options

Regardless, i think your story is very inspiring and i was truly touched by it. I am adding you as a friend.

ditto. I graduated college around 275 maybe more - i was so miserable i refused to even get on a scale. i've been struggling between 165-175 for awhile now and am hoping this site will help me to finally change for good. we can do this!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I can relate to so much of what you said. I quit school the first day of my senior year because my doctor refused to give me a note to get out of gym class, and I had put it off as long as I could...I just couldn't do that to myself. God, the torture would have been unbearable. I was already tortured enough just walking through the halls...heck, just existing. I ended up going to adult education at a community college, because it just felt so much better to be around adults.

It is most definitely a different struggle than having to lose that last 10 pounds.

I'll join in. :)
  • mablesyrup
    Options
    Great!!!! I am so excited to take this journey with all of you together =):flowerforyou:
  • annabelmartinez
    Options
    Hey Guys.. This is a dumb question ive been trying to figure it out for days... How do I start a topic????

Thanks!!!
  • mablesyrup
    Options
    when you click community > message boards > and then click on the specific category at the top right it says in a green box "New Topic" or "new thread" - just click that :drinker:
  • mrsrobinson
    Options
    I am with a few groups here on MFP (which I love!) but I'd love to join one with these specifications. I weigh 449 pounds. I was never big as a child, as a matter of fact, I was a toothpick. I started gaining around age 13 and it just gradually went up and up. I've starved, binged, starved, was treated for anorexia, gained, starved (with doctor supervision, no less), gained, gained, and gained. What I've learned from my past is that starvation diets or liquid diets do NOT work for the long haul. Eventually your body stores everything as fat because it has no idea when its next meal will be. So, I woke up at 485 one day and came on here as a last resort. I can say that it is changing my life. I feel soooo much better, even with just 36 pounds off!

I weigh in on Fridays, so I of course vote for a Friday weigh-in. I'm on board no matter what!
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Count me in!
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Friday is my usual weigh-in day as well, so I would vote for a Friday weigh-in.

How is everyone doing this weekend?
  • mablesyrup
    Options
    Great to have you all on board. My regular weigh-in day is Friday (except for the biggest loser challenge i'm in- i do tuesdays)... and since so many of you have Friday (it seems to be the most common weigh in day on here) We shall go with Fridays. =)
    I will leave this as is for now-- and later this week announce our first challenge- which we will start next friday =)

I'm so excited. =)
  • bluenote
    Options
    I'm excited too! Thanks!
  • annabelmartinez
    Options
    01/01/10 222
    01/8/10 214.6
    01/15/10 216.6

What the heck... I gained 2 pounds. I am soooo frustrated. Could I have eaten too much sodium last night? 2 pounds worth??? Ahhhhhhhhhh I am sooooooo mad. Or maybe last weeks weigh in was a fluke coz I lost 7 pounds. I dont know. All I know it I need not to be discouraged. I need to keep at it. I did cheat this morning and ate a lot coz I was frustrated, but I am back now and will be on track.....

Congrats to all for losing.
  • bluenote
    Options
    I gained 1.5 pounds from last week. :embarassed: I know how you feel, annabel. :flowerforyou:
  • annabelmartinez
    Options
    I gained 1.5 pounds from last week. :embarassed: I know how you feel, annabel. :flowerforyou:

I dont understand it at all.... I have been doing soooo goo and eating sooo well... Its things like this that get me sooooo discouraged. you know what I mean? I just keep teling myself not to be discouraged.:explode: :mad:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    - growing up feeling alone and isolated.
    - being teased in school and at home
    - having no self esteem
    - avoiding gym class at all costs
    - skipping eating lunch at school because i was too embarressed to eat in front of others
    - never going on a date or being asked out
    - not fitting very well in the desks at high school
    - How pathetic is it to have to say that I've never dated anyone I haven't met online?
    - going out with your healthy sisters and having a group of guys hit on them- and the ENTIRE group completely ignores you- as if you aren't even a person and aren't even there
    - hearing guys making bets with each other at the table behind you on which one is going to "go hit on the fat girl"
    - having your joints make funny (bad) noises everytime you walk up a stair
    - being embaressed to go out to eat- especially at a buffet
    - prefer to stay home- rather than go out and be seen in public
    - not be able to buy the clothes YOU really want- but instead are stuck finding something that fits and usually looks old-ladyish, doesn't fit right or is extremely overpriced
    - HATE clothes shopping and come home crying because you realize in the fitting room mirror that it doesn't matter WHAT you wear- there is no way to hide the way you really look.
    - being mortified when you see pictures of yourself and realize that you don't look like the 150lb person you see in the mirror staring back at you. (realizing that you really ARE THAT big)
    - doing anything you can to avoid eating in front of people
    - getting into huge fights because your healthy family doesn't understand why you don't want to walk up to the window at the ice cream store and order ice cream for everyone and bring it back to the car
    - Holding up all of your stomach 'fat' to get a glimpse of what it would feel like if the weight wasn't there anymore (I thought I was the only one who did that!)

How much can I inspire you?

You already have inspired me! I can relate SO WELL to some of the things you wrote! At my highest weight I was 249 lbs, and my lowest in recent memory is 189. I've gained and lost the same 50 lbs or so about three times. This time, I am determined to get it off and keep it off. This place has been an enormous help! I'd like to be in the group too...I have joined a few groups but it seems that I'm the only one who tries to keep them going.

I also weigh in on Fridays, so that works well for me. I'm excited! :flowerforyou:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Hope you all had a good weekend...I ate way too much but I'm back on track and on my way to the gym within the hour!
  • bluenote
    Options

I dont understand it at all.... I have been doing soooo goo and eating sooo well... Its things like this that get me sooooo discouraged. you know what I mean? I just keep teling myself not to be discouraged.:explode: :mad:

annabel, we just have to stick with it. Water weight can really change numbers on the scale. Have you taken your measurements yet? That will be a great inspiration to you if you have a no-so-great scale week.