Daily walking question

Options
My son gave me a pedometer for my birthday. My question is, does the walking I do in the course of my job count toward my exercise? I build garage doors, and am on my feet constantly, walking around the shop. I don't think it elevates my breathing or heart rate appreciably. If it does count, I thought about wearing the pedometer at work and measure my steps and calories burned.

Replies

• happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all day. I walk on my treadmill before work and wear it then and then wear it all day too.
  • GraceK2012
    GraceK2012 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wear it all day. Aim for 10,000 steps each day.
    The walks done at a brisk pace are beneficial in additional ways, but any steps count for something
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you set up your profile on here. If you said you were mainly sitting- then yes wear it all day. If you said you had a highly active job- then no.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you have your activity level set at active or very active, based on what you are doing at work, then if you "count" the walking at work you are basically giving yourself double the calories and will not lose weight. If you set your activity level at sedentary, then you can count the walking you do at work as exercise.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Wear it all day. Aim for 10,000 steps each day.
    The walks done at a brisk pace are beneficial in additional ways, but any steps count for something

^^ this
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit, which is essentially an electronic pedometer, and I definitely wear it all day. Though mine does differentiate between levels of activity, I find that it encourages me to get up more and walk... and it's also great for curiosity.

If you want to see the separate steps you did during a workout, maybe record what the pedometer was at when you started? Or reset the pedometer before exercise.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It may not be aerobic, but it's exercise.

Whether you add it to your log depends on whether you already counted it in your base activity level. Don't count it twice... count the walking around regularly on your job as part of your activity level OR in your exercise diary.

Have fun!
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I set up my profile to already include stuff I already do every day. So i only track the stuff that's intended as extra exercise.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I wear my Pedometer all day every day --Except on the Treadmill, Elliptical, and Bike at the Gym. I record ALL my Steps, but the only ones that I include on my Fitness Trackers are the ones where I am Getting my Heart Rate up and/or walking continuously for more than 10 minutes.
    :drinker: Hopefully that is helpful.
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is why I bought a Fitbit - it figures out the calories burned for you.