The two little NSVs that my day

Options
msafunk
msafunk Posts: 163 Member
I've seen a pretty big scale victory since getting serious about my health in June/July, which is great, but there are two little victories that made me absolutely giddy.

1. I've been struggling with acne since I was, like, 10. I hit puberty in elementary school, and the crazy, out of balance hormones have plagued me since then (I'm about to turn 25!).

Well, since cleaning up my diet, and cutting my fatty, salty and greasy food intake down, and upping my activity levels, my face is starting to clear up! I don't have a single active pimple on my face! I still have a few old red marks because my skin is prone to stay red for months after a pimple forms. But they're starting to fade, and I couldn't be happier! This is the first time EVER that I've been able to just wear a tinted moisturizer instead of a heavy-duty concealer. One of my co-workers even commented on how great my skin is looking!

2. I can do 5 pushups off my knees now. A few months ago, I couldn't even do one, and only 2-3 on my knees. It's a stupidly low amount, considering that I was doing 50+ pushups when I was in high school, but it's one of those baby-steps that is reminding me to stay on track.

My next goal is to get my blood pressure retaken. Back in May, I was reading 140/90, which is borderline hypertension. I was absolutely shocked! It was really one of the things that made me realize that being 190lbs was so much more serious than just having to untag myself in facebook pictures. Does anyone know where I can get that done for free? I don't have the money to buy a home-monitoring system, or see my doctor JUST to have that taken.

Replies

• buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    congrats! You can usually get your blood pressure taken at a pharmacy/drug store. They have a little machine....
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    Depending on your community... those machines that pharmacies often have (free or $1), some shopping malls have those too, a friend who has a pressure monitor, or another health professional -- know a nurse or if you see a chiropractor? Also check for a local community health fair or a community event with a health booth might do some basic tests like blood pressure for free.
    Oh... and some doctor's offices will let you come in for a quick check of your weight on their more accurate scales and might even be willing to measure your blood pressure without charging. Call and ask -- worst they can say is "no".
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Love the NSVs, congratulations!
  • adrcerv
    adrcerv Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    woooo congrats.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Pharmacies and Wal-Mart's almost ALWAYS have one and are usually very accurate! Keep it up. :bigsmile:
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I've seen a pretty big scale victory since getting serious about my health in June/July, which is great, but there are two little victories that made me absolutely giddy.

1. I've been struggling with acne since I was, like, 10. I hit puberty in elementary school, and the crazy, out of balance hormones have plagued me since then (I'm about to turn 25!).

Well, since cleaning up my diet, and cutting my fatty, salty and greasy food intake down, and upping my activity levels, my face is starting to clear up! I don't have a single active pimple on my face! I still have a few old red marks because my skin is prone to stay red for months after a pimple forms. But they're starting to fade, and I couldn't be happier! This is the first time EVER that I've been able to just wear a tinted moisturizer instead of a heavy-duty concealer. One of my co-workers even commented on how great my skin is looking!

2. I can do 5 pushups off my knees now. A few months ago, I couldn't even do one, and only 2-3 on my knees. It's a stupidly low amount, considering that I was doing 50+ pushups when I was in high school, but it's one of those baby-steps that is reminding me to stay on track.

My next goal is to get my blood pressure retaken. Back in May, I was reading 140/90, which is borderline hypertension. I was absolutely shocked! It was really one of the things that made me realize that being 190lbs was so much more serious than just having to untag myself in facebook pictures. Does anyone know where I can get that done for free? I don't have the money to buy a home-monitoring system, or see my doctor JUST to have that taken.

wow yeah the blood pressure may be genetic also and or how /what you eat.. cuz i was at 230 pounds with not having high blood pressure! so not 'just' weight but other factors!.. but yes health is super important... you can take your blood pressure usually at drug store/cvs pharmacy.. for free.. machine thing that feels like ur arm is getting cut off.. LOL (by pharmacy counter)
    congrats on clear skin too!!!! amazing!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!