Eating exercise calories back when you're very overweight

Options
I know the verdict is still out on eating back exercise calories. I know everybody has a different opinion on it. My thought is that it makes a big difference how much weight you have to lose. I understand if you are already pretty thin, not eating back your exercise calories can really sap the energy out of you, you have nothing else to go on. But I still weigh 298 pounds. If I don't eat my exercise calories back, it's not like my body isn't going to be able to get that energy from somewhere else - let it take it from my huge fat stores! Am I way off base here, or does anyone else agree?

Replies

• EvaB93
    EvaB93 Posts: 101
    Options
    I agree, I'm not going to eat calories back that i burned off. that makes no sense !
    And you have a point, fat is just energy stored so why not take energy from that !
    I think your on the right track :)
    If you are feeling fine, don't worry about it !
  • ang_mick
    ang_mick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hope that makes sense - let me know if you have any other questions!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I never have eaten back to calories
    I am not against it, I just have not been doing it
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ive only been here a short while....and I have a fair amount to lose but............

this is a NO win topic for everyone because both sides, the do's and the don'ts all see their side as the right side and will not surrender any ground to the opposition.

GOOD LUCK EITHER WAY
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    I know the verdict is still out on eating back exercise calories. I know everybody has a different opinion on it. My thought is that it makes a big difference how much weight you have to lose. I understand if you are already pretty thin, not eating back your exercise calories can really sap the energy out of you, you have nothing else to go on. But I still weigh 298 pounds. If I don't eat my exercise calories back, it's not like my body isn't going to be able to get that energy from somewhere else - let it take it from my huge fat stores! Am I way off base here, or does anyone else agree?

ABSOLUTELY
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hahaha i would not eat back my calories why would i exercise just to eat it back it makes no sense dont do it...
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    haven't eaten mine back yet. Not planning on it until maintance.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Nope made absolutely no difference here... I set my goals to lose 2 lbs. a week and use my exercise calories for what they are intended to be used for (let me say when using the MFP system) and that is to fuel my body to do my workouts... I didn't deviate from when I was 560 lbs. and don't plan on changing anything now that I have lost 311 lbs.. Best of Luck....
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Nope made absolutely no difference here... I set my goals to lose 2 lbs. a week and use my exercise calories for what they are intended to be used for (let me say when using the MFP system) and that is to fuel my body to do my workouts... I didn't deviate from when I was 560 lbs. and don't plan on changing anything now that I have lost 311 lbs.. Best of Luck....

ED!!!! Its sooooooooooo good to see you. Hope all is well. Add me if you'd like. Ive been following your journey somewhat silently
  • jamespolitics
    Options
    I generally do not eat exercise calories back, I just don't really relate the two most times. I do however exercise to cover the calories of a particular treat if I am craving it. It is my mental way of "earning" it. Then there are days when I just don't care as much :)
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I very very rarely eat them back..

Now here come the rampage of a lot of people telling me it's unhealthy....
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i am still overweight too at 219 and i definitely don't eat back my exercise calories...on the days i have done in the past i dont lose very well on those weeks. I will wait until am under 200lbs then reassess
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am a TRUE beliver of EATING your excercise calories. Mind you I don't believe the set calories burned that MFP dictates, I think the only true way to know what you have burned is through an HRM. I have always ate my calolries back and plan on ALWAYS eating them. I've lost alot of weight this way.
    Other people have different opinons but it's the way I roll and it hasn't let me down ever.
  • mjowell
    mjowell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I feel like it is a waste of effort to exercise, then eat it all back. I have a hard enough time getting in my calories as it is.:wink:
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm with Ed. I eat most of mine back. I exercise to get healthier and to build muscle, which will boost my metabolism. I've set my goal to 2 lbs/week. For the past 3 months, I've been eating most of my exercise calories and losing at a rate of 2.3/lbs a month. I'm good with that. Also, it gives me just enough calories to enjoy eating out and having the occasional glass of wine or dessert. So far, so good. No binging. No cravings. And, the scale is moving. It works for me.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It is supposed to be healthy to lose weight at 1-2 pounds a week. MFP creates a 500 (lose 1 per week) calorie per day deficit. 7x500=3500 calories = 1 pound. Obviously 2 pounds would be 1,000 calorie a day deficit. And going below 1200 calories per day is NOT healthy no matter what weight you are.

Cutting out the fast food, junk, pizza, cookies and donuts is usually quite a drop for most people when they get started. If that is your regular diet, you are at 2500-4500 per day or there abouts.

Adding exercise to your program is a good idea, but I assure you that weight loss is 90% what you eat (or don't!). Most folks walk a mile in about 20 minutes and get about a 100 calories for a burn. That's about half an Oreo cookie. If you are smaller (like 150 pounds, you might burn 400 calories in an hour of biking or running. If you add the to a 1000 calorie deficit, you probably should eat them back.

If you are 300 pounds and walk 20 minutes, I really don't think it matters that much.

I don't believe in starvation mode, but I have seem some stupidity around here. And MFP tends to over estimate exercise calories, and the average person tends to log anywhere from 20-60% less than they actually eat. IE: A heaping tablespoon of peanut butter vs, a level one which the calories are calculated at. etc.

So here is what I do. I want to be 187 when I am done, so I eat the calories to maintain that weight. I get a deficit because I am 204 right now. That way my body doesn't need to adjust when I get there. I run about 100 miles per month, and I am doing just fine. I am occasionally hungry, so I grab an extra healthy 100 calories snack a few times a week.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Part of it depends on why you are exercising. I am not doing it for a caloric deficit. That being said I don't eat them back the same day, I eat the same number of cals a day regardless of working out. Here is the thing, I like to eat. If eating my exercise cals allows me to eat more, then I will.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    So I'm taking a masters level Physiology class and just finished the nutrition/metabolism block. Here's what I've learned:

- Your body needs 1200 calories a day to maintain normal metabolic and cell processes. Do not eat less than this or you will be negatively affecting your body (unless under direct supervision and control from a physician who is monitoring your levels). Now - eating <1200 every now and then is not going to throw your body in shock, just don't make it a habit. Plain and simple.

False many doctor supervised diets go below this calorie level. This number is a rule of thumb based on the amount a woman would eat of a well balanced diet to get the essential nutrients not essential calories. In a male it is 1500. The supervised diets ensure the nutrient balance and they are not concerned with calories.

If you don't eat back your exercise calories, you are creating a larger deficit than the suggested amount. This could lead to losing more than the recommended 2 lbs / week.

But given margins of error calculating calories in and out as well as portion size and the assumptions for your basic activity level and metabolic changes you probably won't and in the short term even this is not a problem.
  • jennifersjubia
    Options
    Thanks your post is helpful,i do eat the extra cals back i am about 90 lbs over weight and have been here working on my wieght loss for about 11 daysand have seen the scale loose about 7 lbs im happy about the lost lbs ,I sit work driving for 11 hrs and so far i just get out on the weekends so a few extra cal.are fun and a change anyway i will keep on working on losing the lbs
  • Southern_Belle89
    Options
    So I'm taking a masters level Physiology class and just finished the nutrition/metabolism block. Here's what I've learned:

- Your body needs 1200 calories a day to maintain normal metabolic and cell processes. Do not eat less than this or you will be negatively affecting your body (unless under direct supervision and control from a physician who is monitoring your levels). Now - eating <1200 every now and then is not going to throw your body in shock, just don't make it a habit. Plain and simple.

- You do not HAVE TO eat exercise calories back. BUT... here's why some should and some shouldn't and it's always "debated".
    the maximum suggested weight loss is 2 lbs / week. If you are in the obese category of BMI - you can lose around 3-5 and still be ok.

- What does this mean? If you don't eat back your exercise calories, you are creating a larger deficit than the suggested amount. This could lead to losing more than the recommended 2 lbs / week.

Makes sense to me! :)