NSV- running!

Options
I don't normally brag, but I can't help this time...

I've not been able to stop grinning since I got back home: I managed to run 10k tonight in 51:23 seconds. I ran my first 10k a few weeks ago in just over an hour- which at the time I thought was pretty good, but tonight's run really is the icing on the cake. The run was going really well, and I knew I was ahead at the half way mark as I made the first 5k in just over 25 minutes, so I thought I'd pick up my feet and push forwards. Well, it certainly worked!

Match that with a small scale loss today of a pound and I'm a very happy girl tonight. :D

Replies

• jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    WOW - congratulations, that's a great time!!

I now understand your feelings, I ran my very first 10K today myself. Spur-of-the-moment, it was such a great, comfortable run that I kept on running. I came in @ 58:26... and I can't stop grinning, either. I was pretty tired towards the end, but... what a great feeling!!!!

I'll pat your back, you pat mine!!! ;-)
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    That's terrific!!! What a great feeling of accomplishment! Keep up with the running and you will be doing marathons in no time:smile:
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    awesome job!! Congrats :)
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job, that's great
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Awesome time and effort. Very cool. MY 10 k is not nearly as fast yet but hoping to reach better soon.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, good job! It's a great feeling to go for the full 10k, isn't it? Have a well deserved virtual pat on the back!

I have to admit, I started cheering like a looney bin (as much as I could at the end of six miles) when I did my first 10k: I distinctly remember a few people coming out of the corner shop looking at me like I was crazy! I found chocolate milk was a brilliant pick-me-up after a 10k run (either that or a banana) in regards to being tired.

Keep at it, you'll be surprised how quickly you can get that time down. I've bought my 5k time from 32 down to about 26:30 in a matter of a few months.

Thank you all very much!
  • MrsPixelbark
    Options
    That's terrific!!! What a great feeling of accomplishment! Keep up with the running and you will be doing marathons in no time:smile:

I've got the first half marathon pinned in for next may (perhaps sooner if I can find one local to me sooner). So, I'm hoping to possibly do a full marathon next Christmas-ish time. :)
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    great pace and job
  • Jackiered79
    Jackiered79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! That's worth bragging about...I'd be posting that kind of stuff, too!
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That's great!!!!! :happy:

I read this first as 51 seconds and 0.23 of a second :laugh: stupid me!
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Impressive run! What have you been doing to reduce your time? I recently completed 10K in 61 mins and have completed 5K in just under 30mins but would love to reduce the time on both. I have been doing HIIT and hope to try 5K again tomorrow but I think just under 29mins will be about the best I will achieve.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! I am so happy for you. Running is quite the rush isn't it? I got back into running this year (never did a lot of it, but it was a part of the triathlons and adventure racing I loved when I was younger), and have gradually been improving on my times since May this year. 99% of my runs are done with a jogging pram, which can be challenging. Running and cycling are the only forms of exercise from the old days that I can do with my daughter, and it has brought me so much joy, and given me a lot of great results.

I love hearing other people sharing their joys and victories about running. I have kind of gotten a hunger for it, and your story has given me a little bubble of excitement about how much more there is ahead of me. Thank you for sharing, and for giving me a little smile to take through my day.

My oldest daughter (8) is doing a kids triathlon on November, and is keen to do a 5km run with me in December. So excitement!!

Take care,

Wil
  • MrsPixelbark
    Options
    Impressive run! What have you been doing to reduce your time? I recently completed 10K in 61 mins and have completed 5K in just under 30mins but would love to reduce the time on both. I have been doing HIIT and hope to try 5K again tomorrow but I think just under 29mins will be about the best I will achieve.

Mainly Fartlek training (which is similar to HIIT I do believe), and a lot more running (both for distance and speed runs).

My 5k time improved massively once I started running 10k plus I've done a few 12k runs now and I can already feel that I'm no where near as fatigued towards the end of my 10k run. I tend to find once you've done a longer distance you can up your speed over a shorter distance- so I can quite happily push myself to do just under a nine minute mile pace now in a 5k run. That can be transferred over to going a touch faster on the 10k once you've got the stamina to do the whole distance at a slower pace. Speed (for me) is about being able to push for a faster speed whilst still having the stamina to do the entire distance: something that only comes once you're comfortable with a certain distance.

In regards to Fartlek, I started with the NHS' C25K graduates podcast, and then moved on to making my own. It has you running at 165 beats per minute (about an 8:30ish mile I think) at the faster spots- and then I started editing it to make the speed parts a touch longer and faster. I try to aim to do at least one Fartlek run a week, and then really push for a good timed 5k once a week as well.

I'm not an expert though by any means- this is just what has worked for me!
  • MrsPixelbark
    Options
    My oldest daughter (8) is doing a kids triathlon on November, and is keen to do a 5km run with me in December. So excitement!!

That's fantastic- I wish your daughter the very best of luck! I hope she enjoys the 5k- there was a few smaller kids on my first 5k, and they zipped around the course making it look like a complete and utter breeze! Just a query, have you thought about possibly doing some rollerblading with her? It's a fantastic form of exercise, and great fun. I used to blade quite a bit when I was younger with my Mum on her bike.

Personally, if you'd have told me a year ago that I'd have run this today, I'd have laughed in your face. I always hated sports as a child- but you're right, running is an awesome rush. It's become ever so slightly addictive.

Thank you all again!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!