Better to go under or over?

Options
I just joined this site today and I really like MFP. I feel like this is something I can truly stick with. I am not confused about the amount of calories I should be taking in or burning. I just want to know everyone's opinions and choose what I think is best for my body. I realized that the more exercise I do, the more calories I have to eat according to my calorie tracker. I have over 130 pounds to lose, so I want to be as active as possible throughout the day to lose the most amount of weight.

Unfortunately, I live at home but am on a very tight budget. I can't even afford to buy my own food so I have to make what I'm given last. I can't really eat more because I'd run out of food quicker. My main question is should I not be as active throughout the day so I can stay within my calorie range for the day, or should I exercise a lot anyway and risk going under the amount I'm supposed to? Sorry for the long winded question I wasn't sure how to phrase it.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the same when I worked out, and my weight loss was regular and good. After reading so many people talk about eating their calories back, I started doing the same thing, and the weight loss hasn't been as regular. If fat loss is the plan, I think its better to be under.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You can eat some of them but you dont have to eat all of your exercise calories back. Welcome and good luck
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    It realy depends on the day for me. On the weekend I tend to go out more so I tend to eat more of the calories I burn while working out. Sometime I do nt eat ca;pries burns back at all.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay under the calories burned on light workout days.:smile:

8488541.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Since your deficit is built into your daily calorie goal..going over in my opinion is preferable. Usually the calories given to you are far below your TDEE. There is a rather large cushion for overage.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    tend to be under, no problem losing. A diet higher iin protein tends to keep you feeling satiated longer.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would just go ahead and exercise. It's good for you and will help you lose the pounds. You won't necessarily be more hungry if you exercise. In fact, it may reduce your appetite.

Just thinking of my sister, she rarely ate her exercise calories.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i don't eat mine back - but, if i go over its not a huge deal either.