Really bad stomach pain after 'cheat day/meal'

Options
Yesterday after exactly 4 months of starting to eat healthier I had a takeout meal. I had around half of my usual bowl of oats with fruit in the morning and then at around 2pm I ate a burger and chips meal. Pretty much straight after that I had stomach cramps and didn't have anything more to eat, just had a cup of tea in the evening. Now it's over a day later and I still have the awful cramps and even exercising has become difficult. Yesterday when I tried exercising I had to just give up as it was too painful and today I just about managed 20 minutes.

Has anyone else had something similar happen to them? Is it because I overate perhaps or because I haven't eaten that kind of food for a while? I had wanted to continue to have cheat meals like this once in a while but this is really painful!

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Food poisoning? Are you sure the hamburger was ok?
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    Yes, I'm certain it was okay as I gave a little bit of it to my niece and she's fine. It was a chicken burger - I've been eating them for years from that place and they've always been fine. Maybe I just ate too much :/
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way after eating food I know is bad for me. Your body's just not used to it anymore.

This is a good thing, though! It means your body wants healthier food. :flowerforyou:
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i had exactly the same thing happen last night, i had chinese and it had nothing to do with the food.....my body just totally just totally rejected it and i've felt ill the whole day :(
  • Taimarra
    Options
    I haven't had any reaction *quite* that extreme ... but I did recently find out (much to my dismay) that pizza makes me violently ill the next morning, and constipates me for two days. As do many other processed foods, it seems.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Depends on where the pain is. If it is right side, kind of up under your bottom rib and radiates around,it could be gallbladder.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Or maybe it's unrelated to your eating? Period coming up? Or some stomach flu?

You really shouldn't feel bad for a day when eating some bad food.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you have been eating low fat and healthy for a while you can have a unpleasant reaction to a "full fat" meal. If it doesn't ease up you may want to talk to you practitioner - there is a chance you are having a gallbladder attack.
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The same exact thing happens to me. I can't eat most fast-food anymore because almost immediately, my stomach and insides start cramping up. If I have a bad meal, usually it takes a day or two to flush out of my system. It's just because your body isn't used to digesting it anymore. I've discovered that the more water I drink after a bad meal, the faster I get to feeling better.

It might just be what you ate, also. Sometimes your body just doesn't agree with things you put in it. Too much grease, whatever.
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    The pain came literally as I finished eating.. I can only assume it's related to the food that I ate. Maybe next time when I want a cheat meal I'll have something lighter like a baguette.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You body got used to eating right. I don't eat beef or pork, so if I ever try to eat it I get sick to my stomach.
  • TonkaDanteFriend
    TonkaDanteFriend Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your healthy diet has been like, but it's also possible to have these kind of pains when you boot yourself out of ketosis (if low-carbing)
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I went to disneyland on Wednesday and was not able to resist the churros, hotdogs and stupid theme park food. It is 3 days later and my stomach STILL feels weird!! On Thursday I was close to calling in sick to work because I felt like I was going to be on the toilet all day!! I think it's normal.
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    The same exact thing happens to me. I can't eat most fast-food anymore because almost immediately, my stomach and insides start cramping up. If I have a bad meal, usually it takes a day or two to flush out of my system. It's just because your body isn't used to digesting it anymore. I've discovered that the more water I drink after a bad meal, the faster I get to feeling better.

It might just be what you ate, also. Sometimes your body just doesn't agree with things you put in it. Too much grease, whatever.

I have been drinking lots of water today. Hope that helps!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The pain came literally as I finished eating.. I can only assume it's related to the food that I ate. Maybe next time when I want a cheat meal I'll have something lighter like a baguette.

Sounds like iy could be a gallbladder attack - If you get it again with a fatty meal then it probably is. If you have been a yoyo dieter or lost a large amount of weigh rapidly you can get sludge/gravel/stones in the GB. Then a full fat meal will cause spasms around the stones - no fun.
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Sounds like iy could be a gallbladder attack - If you get it again with a fatty meal then it probably is. If you have been a yoyo dieter or lost a large amount of weigh rapidly you can get sludge/gravel/stones in the GB. Then a full fat meal will cause spasms around the stones - no fun.

I was going to say the same! Rapid loss can cause gallbladder problems for sure, weather it was a healthy way or not. The gallbladder is basically a storage duct for bile and is stimulated to release bile into the small intestine after you eat to help break down fats. When there is a large amount of fat is eaten, the bile is released, but often is not enough to break it down. Same with a stone or blockage. Bile is stimulated to release, but can't, and then can't break down the fat.

My suggestion, if it persists, see your doc. Otherwise, stay away from fatty foods!