Equestrians unite! For support and weight loss.

Options
I am horse lover and equestrian and I have been on MFP for over a month now. It has helped me get focused and stay focused. If you love horses, are riding or are looking to get back into horseback riding, feel free to add me as a friend.

My goal is to et back in the saddle in 2013 and by God, I will make it happen!

Cheers

Replies

• Trish5788
    Trish5788 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've gotta say, as a life-long equestrian, I love this idea! Feel free to add me!
  • tpayne0453
    Options
    Showed in the AQHA circuit until I was 20, when I went into the Navy....just sold my last buddy in February. Hoping to start showing again when we move back to Indiana next summer.
  • maryellenclapper
    Options
    Yeah I found friends in horse lovers. I camped and trail rode for 14 years but in 2009 I fell out of life when my son was killed in a motorcycle accident haven't riden since and I gained 78 pounds since his death. Didn't care, thought I would be miserable for the rest of my life, well I was wrong I want so much to be able to get back to riding it is the peace I need to be on the trail and sitting around the campfire with other horse lovers, but I am so out of shape and now so over weight. I have three horses now 2 are just yard ornaments do to age and injury the third is to small for me at this weight. I am looking forward to getting into shape and getting back on my horse. :)
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Great idea here. Horse lover all my life. Barrels, Poles, and Quads for years, then trained my daughters and they rode up until 2 years ago. Had 21 at one time and finally realized I couldn't do it by myself anymore. Gave my last 2 geldings to a therphy center for paralyzed folks. But I do miss them terribly already. I will have another couple of horses hopefully within a couple of years.

I've dropped 88lbs so far and have 25-30 more to go to be at my goal. It's been tough the last several months, I gain and I loose. Trying to get the groove back and get the job done..

Add me also....
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've been taking riding lessons for three months so far, and I'm hooked! I've also started working out with a trainer at the gym twice a week about two months ago. One of my first non-scale victories has been being able to get in the saddle without standing on a chair (yes, I had to do that at first - the horse is tall and I'm overweight and out of shape). Now, I can get on the horse without help! I'm learning to post the trot, but haven't quite got the timing down. (That's a good thigh workout!) I just love being with the horses, and learning to communicate with them. It's the most fun way to exercise I can imagine! My next goal (besides posting) is to be able to get the saddle on without help; it's still a bit heavy and awkward for me and I can almost, but not quite, get the saddle on the horse. The horse I ride now was pastured for years before my teacher bought her; she needs to lose a few pounds and tone up a bit, too. So we're helping each other!
  • nis75p06
    Options
    My best mare is my inspiration for even starting to get back in shape - my "camel moment" as someone else termed it. I mean It's not like I didn't know I was fat. It's not like I hadn't tried "dieting" before. I knew a size 24W was not "in shape" (other than round!). I just didn't want to change bad enough. When I tried to ride again after a multi-year hiatus, and the hammer of being too huge to ride a mare I had competed on in the past - well let's just say that was 8 weeks ago, and I found MFP 7 weeks ago...

I have 9 horses right now - retired show horses, active show horses, and up and coming youngsters. One of my nieces shows several of them for me (eventing and show jumping) since i can't. I still compete in combined driving, but even there my weight is a hindrance to top performance.

My short term goal is to get to 200 lbs, which is what my mare is capable of handling without strain.
  • My name is Sara, I'm from Winnipeg, MB Canada. 23 years old and have been riding since I was 2. I currently have two horses, two German imported Warmbloods.

Lancia di Roma (Lego) - 16.0HH Wurttemburg Gelding, 13 years old, Bay. Competed with him up to the 1.30m Jumpers and is now on a 2 year lease contract out in Alberta with a 16 year old girl, teaching her the ropes of the bigger jumpers.

Cantato (Tato) - 16.3HH Oldenburg Gelding, 3 years old, Grey. Purchased at an Alberta Auction as a 1.60m stallion prospect. Brought him home, trainer didn't want t stallion in the barn, so we gelded him. (***crossing my fingers he doesn't become absolutely spectacular, because having him as a stallion then would have been much more profitable***) This is my project horse while I'm back in University. yay! :p We're getting ready for our second schooling show on November 23rd, where we will do poles! :P

I love riding, and I would be lost without it.

xo
    Feel free to add me!!!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    A certain Rascal Flats song came to mind when I saw this topic...
  • bornfreehooves
    Options
    I'm Charlotte, 50 yrs old, live in Lexington, KY. Started taking lessons 42 yrs. ago. Have had a horse (two different ones) for 20 yrs. Let myself be bucked off 4 yrs. ago (emergency room buck) and haven't ridden my lovely horse, Cody, since. I don't have the guts. We do however see each other at least 5 times a week. Will see him tonight to touch up his natural trim. Then, I'll go home and Shred! Oh, I weighed 150 on Monday - the heaviest in my life - and want to get back down to at least 132, the weight I was 4 yrs. ago and then some. My ultimate goal is 127 :).
  • Dealsdreamy
    Options
    Horses are the only thing in my life that make me truly happy . Had to sell my boy 16.2hh gorgeous warmblood gelding in January due to finances : ((

I have had to move too and London is not the best place for horse riding . Please horsey people add me !!!

Neigh x
  • nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    Options
    For all you horseless equestrians:

Was trying to take a few pics of my eventer mare during her lesson, but the up-and-coming pony-size mare kept getting in the way:

So is it okay if I graze right up to the edge of the dressage court?
    8122268912_212fb54900.jpg

How about if I just stand in front of you here at E?
    8122266694_e20186c570.jpg

The grazing here at X is much better!
    8122264308_3e8c10cec5.jpg

Finally got a pic of the mare I WANTED to photograph, but the light was so low and I had to take it from so far away to avoid the pony, the pic is grainy.
    8122264994_0563d278c9.jpg
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So beautiful. You are one lucky lady! Thanks for the inspiration.
  • gm678560
    gm678560 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i love this thread! i buy/train/sell pony hunters. the ponies will be as happy as i will be when i lose a few pounds!
  • KathyRed07
    Options
    YES....Horse lovers add me too!!! One of the goals is that I want to get back into riding again. I had horses in the past (2 Friesians - a Clydesdale and Quarter horse) and I miss having a horse SO much! its my dream to be able to own a horse again. I miss the smell of a barn (which only a real horse lover could understand <g>) It was always my place to escape.

Anyone feel free to add me! ~Kathy
  • sherignp
    sherignp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    While I'm a huge horse lover, I've never owned one and most likely never will. I love horses and ride with a friend when I can, trail ride on vacations and have taken some lessons over the years. But, my husband and I are planning a dude ranch vacation next summer for our 40th anniversary and I'm on a quest to lose some weight and get in shape. I hope I qualify for this group! I've got 25-30 lbs to lose and am terribly out of shape. Like another poster on this thread, I'm trying to get to a point where I can mount without assistance or a step stool!! :tongue: