Ovarian Cyst

Options
I have developed a large ovarian cyst. It is large enough that there is concern of it torquing (twisting).
For this reason,I have been told by my doctor to not do any jarring exercise.
I am kinda disappointed by this news. I've been on a really good stretch of maintaining exercise in my life.
However, if this cyst were to twist, I could possibly die.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions?
I like doing high-calorie burning exercise (walking seems so long for so little burned...).

I'd appreciate any comments...

Replies

• ruckerbenton
    Options
    What about water exercise. You can move as fast and hard as you want without the jarring effect of a ground regimen. Why are they not taking that bad boy out? I'm not familiar with a twisting cyst. I'm 46. I had a complex cyst with debris developed after a major surgery a few months earlier. I ended up with a total hysterectomy but an oovarectomy was attempted before that. I wonder if the removal of just that egg sack be an answer. Is a laproscopic procedure but does require anesthesia.
  • meredithgainey
    meredithgainey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I suffer from PCOS and had several cyst back in the summer and when I would exercise I would get in so much pain. Swimming seemed to be the best exercise for me. I didnt hurt from it and was loosing the most weight while swimming. I would get in our pool and just swim around and keep moving.
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    I'm a bit older so that may not be an answer for you.
  • dkmsindependent
    dkmsindependent Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that...
    I hope they don't have to operate...
    I recently had an IUD inserted.
  • karynspeace
    Options
    I have developed a large ovarian cyst. It is large enough that there is concern of it torquing (twisting).
    For this reason,I have been told by my doctor to not do any jarring exercise.
    I am kinda disappointed by this news. I've been on a really good stretch of maintaining exercise in my life.
    However, if this cyst were to twist, I could possibly die.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions?
    I like doing high-calorie burning exercise (walking seems so long for so little burned...).

I'd appreciate any comments...
    As a former long suffering cyst lady, I am sorry and I feel your pain.
    Swimming is about the only exercise that the docs usually recommend. Trust me, you will KNOW if it is trying to twist. Hang in there.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of cysts due to the Mirena IUD. They bursted; it was painful. I never had an issue with cysts prior to the IUD, and I have never had a cyst since having the IUD removed. Cysts are a somewhat common side effect of IUDs. Sorry you're going through this. Swimming sounds like a good option.
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had one that twisted a few times several years ago. Obviously, I didn't die. I just wish I had when it did that. It was bad. They did surgery and I was off work for 2 weeks.
    I'm not really sure that you could actually die from it twisting unless you were driving at the time and you might take a couple out with you - I'd totally recommend having it removed. You *really* don't want it to twist. Are they trying to shrink it to see if that works? Either way - do somethiing quick, fast and in a hurry.
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I had a dermoid ovarian cyst removed surgically last winter. Before it was removed, I had a laundry list of things I wasn't supposed to do: run, ride horses, roller coasters, rough sex, get in any car accidents (lol- not that I really wanted that to happen anyway) and really anything that was too bouncy. I don't have any particular advice- I just walked a lot and spent lots of time feeling sorry for myself (and scared).

I hope that this is resolved soon for you. I know how uncomfortable, weird, and scary it is to have something inside you that isn't supposed to be there and could potentially hurt you. Mine was completely asymptomatic, so that made it even worse- how in the world could I have a 10 cm mass that I couldn't even feel! The type of cyst I had could have turned cancerous if left in there long enough, so I feel like I dodged a bullet by getting it removed when I did.

I tell you this just to let you know that you aren't alone. Listen to your doctor, and don't do anything that could potentially negatively impact your health. If she says to take it easy, then do just that.
  • dkmsindependent
    Options
    How about stationary bike such as spinning (as long as I stay on the seat)?

Do you think walking is ok?
  • dkmsindependent
    Options
    What could they try to shrink it? I've been told there is nothing to do.
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Often, young women who are not experiencing any symptoms are advised to wait two or three months to see if the cysts dissolve on their own. In most cases, functional ovarian cysts will dissolve without any medical intervention or treatment.

Occasionally, physicians opt to prescribe oral contraceptives or hormones to shrink functional ovarian cysts. (Functional cysts are rare in women who use oral contraceptives since this method of birth control prevents ovulation.) Oral contraceptives are not an effective treatment for other types of benign ovarian cysts, but they do offer some protection against malignant ovarian cysts (ovarian cancer).

Surgery is sometimes necessary to treat ovarian cysts that are unresponsive to hormonal treatment. Cases that could require surgery include ovarian cysts that do not disappear after a few menstrual cycles and extremely large cysts.

COPIED from this link - for more information...http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/ovariancysts/a/ovariancysts.htm
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've only had one and it disappeared on it's own. Sorry about it, I hope you get it resolved soon.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS so get cysts quite often - ruptures are very painful. What is more likely if it twists is you'd lose the ovary - I can't imagine death is actually the concern, because the pain is so bad you'd get yourself to an ER long before that really became a concern I'd imagine. I'm not a doctor, just lost of first hand experience with cysts though. I agree - if it's big enough that they're worried about it twisting I'm confused why they aren't removing it. Asymptomatic cysts are left alone to resolve to a certain degree but if it's that big I'm surprised - my doctor always told me watch/wait until a certain point, if it crosses ____ line (I can't remember now, getting pregnant resolved a lot of my PCOS issues and nearly 4 years post partum they haven't returned) we have to intervene.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When we did fertility treatments I had to worry about this, my ovaries were huge every month we tried. Walking and water aerobics were the best. I couldn't do crunches, it was just too painful with tennis-ball sized ovaries. Biking was even a little iffy.