Suggest a good 3 d/wk Lifting routine?

Options
I just finished week two of P90M. This week, I also did one heavy arm work out, and I added some aerobic exercise today. I only have dumbells right now, ranging from pair of 10lb to pair of 35lb I am missing 30s, and have nothing over that. I am going to hopefully get a barbell and some 30s in 2 or 3 weeks. I am looking to get all of my muscle groups. On the alternating days I am going to ad 20-30 min extra cardio routine. Right now I am just over 260. With current muscle mass I would want to be around 200lb, but with desired muscle mass 210-215. (When I did have a personal trainer, he told me I would be skinny at 200 and anorexic at 190, which I had at first set as a goal.)

I am taking whey protein, multi-vit/min, b-complex and just started on my creatine 4 days ago. I have a decent food plan going on, though I need to get my carbs down a tad. Or maybe my protein up a tad. One or the other. I have done a ton of reading, and research a few years ago, but I have not had any real contact with professionals on training outside of some personal training that came free with my 24 HR Fitness 3 year deal 3 years ago. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts or starting strength
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts or starting strength

This.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Starting strength, I haven't lifted hard in over 2 years. Thanks!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You will probably have to join a gym to lift heavy and use a squat rack I started stronglifts 5x5 and use the app on my phone to keep track of my lifting
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I cannot afford a gym… I am not trying to lift heavy, just adequately...
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I cannot afford a gym… I am not trying to lift heavy, just adequately...

So what equipment, if any, do you have access to then?
    I am taking whey protein, multi-vit/min, b-complex and just started on my creatine 4 days ago

Spend less on supplements and get a gym membership?
  • Topher1978
    Options
    The prices even for the mediocre ones around here are insane. My Supplements are not expensive in the grand scheme of things. Vitamins are a once every few month purchase, and protein is cheap online. The creatine is that huge 400 serving tub from ON, so I can make those purchases…

Right now I only have dumbells. I am going to try to get a barbel with some good weight within a couple weeks. I just moved to the Ohio Valley, and left most of my work-out equipment at my little bros in WA. Couldn't fit 'em in the Subaru…
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Can be modified for DBs for awhile but eventually best done with barbells. easier to take on a cal deficit than SS or SL

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • deathknote
    deathknote Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What i like to do is low weight high rep. I also like to do super sets becouse it takes up less time. And when you only have a hour of PT time, you make the most of it. so here is what i do.

Bicep free weight curls: 15-20 lbs. 20-30 reps.

Tricep over head extension with both arms holding one weight( place weight over and behind you head, lower arms at the elbow to as close to 90 degrees as you can): 30-50 lbs. 20-30 reps

Any Chest exercise: Add enough weight to make it difficult to lift anymore by the last rep. I like to use free weights while on a balancing ball. 20-30 reps.

Now the key is to do each of these exercising one after another with minimal rest time. by the time you are done with your chest your biceps will be ready to go again. Thus negating the need to rest. Not only does this cut down on time but it also raises your endurance.

Now i do all three of these exercises ten times. So that is 20-30 reps of each exercise for Ten Sets. should take anywhere from 35-50 minutes. And don't forget to stay hydrated, you'll get very thirsty durring this. And you might want to have a pen paper handy, becouse i always forget what number set i'm on.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Can be modified for DBs for awhile but eventually best done with barbells. easier to take on a cal deficit than SS or SL

What is SS and SL? Thanks!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    What i like to do is low weight high rep. I also like to do super sets becouse it takes up less time. And when you only have a hour of PT time, you make the most of it. so here is what i do.

Bicep free weight curls: 15-20 lbs. 20-30 reps.

Tricep over head extension with both arms holding one weight( place weight over and behind you head, lower arms at the elbow to as close to 90 degrees as you can): 30-50 lbs. 20-30 reps

Any Chest exercise: Add enough weight to make it difficult to lift anymore by the last rep. I like to use free weights while on a balancing ball. 20-30 reps.

Now the key is to do each of these exercising one after another with minimal rest time. by the time you are done with your chest your biceps will be ready to go again. Thus negating the need to rest. Not only does this cut down on time but it also raises your endurance.

Now i do all three of these exercises ten times. So that is 20-30 reps of each exercise for Ten Sets. should take anywhere from 35-50 minutes. And don't forget to stay hydrated, you'll get very thirsty durring this. And you might want to have a pen paper handy, becouse i always forget what number set i'm on.
    Thank you!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

This a good one. You can do all these exercises with dumbells but it's better with a barbell. Also, you should look into getting a squat or power rack. They are expensive but you could probably find one on craigs list.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

I have just been reading about that plan, and I think it's kind of brilliant not just for people on a calorie deficit, but for 30+ beginners, injury-prone people, etc. I have been killing myself trying to come up with a progressive, recovery-minded plan suited to my needs/limitations, and am thrilled that this exists!

Only thing with it is, from my pov (woman wanting to reshape legs), it's kind of an arm-heavy workout. I'd like to adapt it a just a bit to accommodate some good glute-focused exercises (i.e., weighted bridges & at least one single-leg movement, eg step-up, 1-legged RDL, split squat). Any thoughts on how to incorporate bridges + single-leg movement in that program, while respecting balance in muscle development?

(Also, to be honest, I think I'd be ok dropping the bicep curls.)