Vegetarian protein

Options
I know all the foods that contain protein but I need some meal ideas that will up my intake without adding tons of calories and fat (ah..nuts)

Please.. Anything that gives me over 10g of protein definitely best :)

Thanks

Replies

• nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem! I eat chicken and fish, but husband is vegetarian and I barely get half the daily protein I should. I could live on nuts and cheese, but maybe not when i am trying to drop a few kgs :)
  • lauramacaroni
    lauramacaroni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Tofu - cubed & put into stir fry vegetables. Low fat, good protein & depending on what spices you add to the mix, you can get some varied flavors.

Also - if you need a snack idea, blend tofu in place of sour cream in any of your favorite dip recipes & eat with raw vegetables.
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    quorn, soya products, cottage cheese - all low fat/high protein :smile: :smile:
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    We are vegetarians. We eat lot of beans and lentils along with Tofu. One of my favorites is below:
    1. Mash some cooked kidney beans and/or pinto beans.
    2. Add taco seasoning, Jalapeno peppers,
    3. Cheddar cheese (optional),
    4. 2 or 3 tbsp water depending on the consistency you want.
    5. Heat it up, stir it well for couple of minutes.
    Good filling for tacos and Burritos but good to eat just like that. I eat leftover for breakfast some times.
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm

sorry, [ url ] tags don't seem to be working :grumble:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Fage Total 0% fat yogurt is one of my non-meat protein staples. 10g per 100g.

ETA: ok, n/m I see you already know that one! :)
  • deaddivya
    Options
    I usually start my day with plain yogurt - the one I buy is 74 calories for 180g and has about 9g of protein, so I easily eat two of them.
    Tofu is an excellent source of protein and very variable. Quorn is low-calorie as well (but it obviously depends of the way it is prepared). Then, veggies like broccoli and cauliflower are really high in protein.
    My absolute new superfood is Quinoa! Low in calories, high in protein, really filling and so delicious. :)
    Oh, and as someone already mentioned: Cottage Cheese. There are TONS of recipes with Cottage Cheese!
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, have bought some tofu, now to work out how to cook it..without too much fat added
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Tofu - cubed & put into stir fry vegetables. Low fat, good protein & depending on what spices you add to the mix, you can get some varied flavors.

Also - if you need a snack idea, blend tofu in place of sour cream in any of your favorite dip recipes & eat with raw vegetables.

Tofu is the devil. Stop eating it, now.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Tofu is brilliant. Lentils are also great for a quick to cook verstaile protein source.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese- any type of cheese
    yogurt
    protein powder
    seafood if you eat it
    nuts/seeds
  • Jester522
    Options
    Virtually all vegetable proteins are incomplete amino profiles and require conscious pairing in order to be sure you get all the necessary amino acids. For example, lentils will need beans to be complete. The problem is doing so bring on a lot of strach carbohydrates for not that much protein. Might as well just eat meat like you're supposed to.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that input :(

I don't eat meat for ethical reasons..and have survived the last 37 years..as have millions of others
  • lifes_revenge
    lifes_revenge Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Pea protein!!!! :smile: I've been vegetarian most of my life and as I got older realised the distinct lack of protein in vegetarian protein sources so I did my homework. Just add a scoop of pea protein during the cooking process and that is aprox. 120cals for over 20g protein PLUS it contains amino acids etc. Go to myprotein.com for more info and various other protein forms.
  • VeganHippieChick
    VeganHippieChick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    higher protein sources: tofu, lentils, mock meats, protein powder (soy, rice, pea, hemp, or a mix there of).
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, have bought some tofu, now to work out how to cook it..without too much fat added

Bake it! That's my favorite way to have it. Nice texture and you can use pretty much any sauce you want. I do a bunch over the weekend and eat it through the week.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    For other readers than the op, the complete protein myth was debunked decades ago. google carefully before believing the beef council ad above.

Be sure you use Chinese style tofu for better texture. Use Japanese style for baking, or to make authentic Japanese food only.
  • Jester522
    Options
    For other readers than the op, the complete protein myth was debunked decades ago. google carefully before believing the beef council ad above.

Be sure you use Chinese style tofu for better texture. Use Japanese style for baking, or to make authentic Japanese food only.
    I assume you're referring to me as an ad? Cmon you gotta do better than that.

The only part that has been debunked is that they need to be consumed together. Just like no-carbs-after-2PM and breakfasts=most-important-meal being debunked it falls under the same logic: it doesn't matter when you have it as long as it gets in. Which means you need to consume adequate amounts of the following 9 amino acids:
    Histidine—physical and mental growth
    Isoleucine—muscle production, blood formation
    Leucine—growth hormone production, tissue production and repair
    Lysine—bone development, hormone production
    Methionine—digestion of fats, removal of plaque
    Phenylalanine—brain processes and mood
    Threonine—monitoring of body proteins
    Tryptophan—mood, pain, and sleep regulation
    Valine—muscle production
    ^ All other amino acids (with the exception of arginine as conditional to athletic expenditure) can be synthesized by the human body from these 9. There's no myth behind the fact that lentils do not contain tryptophan. A few others:

Grains (lacking in lysine): brown rice, rye, wheat, cornmeal, barley, millet, oats, buckwheat
    Nuts and Seeds (lacking in lysine): walnuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds
    Legumes (lacking in methionine): beans, peas, lentils, garbanzos (chickpeas)<-- most also lack tryptophan
    Peanut butter lacks three of the essentials. Peanuts are also a legume, not a nut.

As stated before it doesnt mean you have to eat them together, they just have to be consumed in adequate amounts in a 24hr timetable to provide the nutritional quota. The problem with doing it this way is all the unnecessary carb intake that follows.

Soy actually does have a "complete" amino profile. Only problem is it wasn't actually meant for human consumption and wrecks absolute havoc on the female body. Also does a nasty number on mele genetalia and T:E ratio. So before you go believing another Cargill, ADM, or DuPont, Hershey, and Nestle ad why not google soy trypsin inhibitor.
    http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm
    http://www.thesoydeception.com/the-soy-deception/soy-a-powerful-trypsin-inhibitor.html
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1979.tb03482.x/abstract
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1973.tb02624.x/full
    Oh yeah... and speaking of DuPont... they started using soy as a paint additive between 19010-1920 and it was labeled an industrial commodity. And you want to eat this?
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options

I assume you're referring to me as an ad? Cmon you gotta do better than that.

The only part that has been debunked is that they need to be consumed together. Just like no-carbs-after-2PM and breakfasts=most-important-meal being debunked it falls under the same logic: it doesn't matter when you have it as long as it gets in. Which means you need to consume adequate amounts of the following 9 amino acids:
    Histidine—physical and mental growth
    Isoleucine—muscle production, blood formation
    Leucine—growth hormone production, tissue production and repair
    Lysine—bone development, hormone production
    Methionine—digestion of fats, removal of plaque
    Phenylalanine—brain processes and mood
    Threonine—monitoring of body proteins
    Tryptophan—mood, pain, and sleep regulation
    Valine—muscle production
    ^ All other amino acids (with the exception of arginine as conditional to athletic expenditure) can be synthesized by the human body from these 9. There's no myth behind the fact that lentils do not contain tryptophan. A few others:

Grains (lacking in lysine): brown rice, rye, wheat, cornmeal, barley, millet, oats, buckwheat
    Nuts and Seeds (lacking in lysine): walnuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds
    Legumes (lacking in methionine): beans, peas, lentils, garbanzos (chickpeas)<-- most also lack tryptophan
    Peanut butter lacks three of the essentials. Peanuts are also a legume, not a nut.

As stated before it doesnt mean you have to eat them together, they just have to be consumed in adequate amounts in a 24hr timetable to provide the nutritional quota. The problem with doing it this way is all the unnecessary carb intake that follows.

Soy actually does have a "complete" amino profile. Only problem is it wasn't actually meant for human consumption and wrecks absolute havoc on the female body. Also does a nasty number on mele genetalia and T:E ratio. So before you go believing another Cargill, ADM, or DuPont, Hershey, and Nestle ad why not google soy trypsin inhibitor.
    http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm
    http://www.thesoydeception.com/the-soy-deception/soy-a-powerful-trypsin-inhibitor.html
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1979.tb03482.x/abstract
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1973.tb02624.x/full
    Oh yeah... and speaking of DuPont... they started using soy as a paint additive between 19010-1920 and it was labeled an industrial commodity. And you want to eat this?

haha funny, I just posted a topic :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/756988-amino-acids-in-a-plant-based-diet