My First New Year Resolution!

Options
Just wanted to introduce myself. I stumbled across this wesbite Wed. morning on facebook, signed up that morning, weighed myself and started tracking my food. I actually made a resolution a couple of days before to stop smoking and stop drinking soda and eating so much fast food. But then I found this website and said I might as well really go for it. I am getting married in 2 years (finances - don't even get me started, lol) and like every typical girl want to look good in my dress. I am also starting a new job that required me to tuck in my shirt - the most dreaded thing ever! So it would really be nice to not feel frumpy walking around with my pooch hanging out for the world to see. I eventually want to have kids and don't want to bring one into the world being so out of shape as I am.

I'm also dealing with having a Mom, Dad, Brother, and Sister in Law that have had weight loss surgery. It's sooooo much pressure!

I am currently 205 pounds and only 4'11'' - so a perky little apple. I'm hoping to get to 160 pounds - my weight in high school when I met my fiance. I'm currently a XL shirt, and would love to be able to buy a medium.

I guess that's it for now. I would love to get some feeback from people on my food diary or get some recipe ideas. I'm slowy starting to excercise - which has been really hard - I have absolutley terrible balance and old people crack knees. But I'm doing it!

Replies

• shaunahorne
    shaunahorne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm cheering for you! I just started myfitnesspal 5 days ago and already I love it. Keeping motivated is so much easier when you know you're not the only one trying to reach weight loss goals - I have a degree in Exercise & Sports Science and work as a personal trainer and yet still it is hard without a support group!

As for food -- fresh fruits and veggies are so good! Low fat meats (chicken breast, tuna in water, turkey breast, etc.) are great. As for the starchy carbs, try to switch to brown rice instead of white (you don't need nearly as much to feel full and it's much better for you!), switch to whole wheat bread instead of eating white bread, and incorporate sweet potatoes -- they are really good for you and they're sweet, which is a bonus! I try to stay away from anything made with white flour and treats, candy & desserts for 6 days of the week and let myself have whatever I want for one day without going overboard. I rarely eat anything deep-fried and I never eat anything with trans fats (hydrogenated or partially hydrongenated oils) in them.

Eating 6 small meals a day rather than 3 large ones works better for me -- it requires some planning ahead but that is one of the bonuses of it, at the beginning of the day, you know what you'll be eating and you'll be smart about it.

As you eat to fuel your body instead of just throwing in whatever, you will be amazed at how GREAT you start to feel!

Good luck with the eating and with the exercise!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!!! I am so glad you are here. You will soon be meeting all your goals and I KNOW you will be a beautiful Bride and the most Fun Mom on the Planet!!.
    Please don't listen to anyone pressuring you into surgery. I know it CAN work, but it also has LOTS of consequences, and the majority of people I know who have had it (Mom, Step-Sister, Co-Worker, Friend, School Teacher, College Teacher) only my Friend and the College Teacher had what I consider a Positive result from it. My Step-Sister had the surgery at about the same time I joined Curves and MFP last year. All I have heard from her is how bad she feels, and how ill she has been since then.
    :smile: I'm not saying that the surgery is Bad, or that it doesn't work. I know there are MANY people who have had success with it. I'm just saying that if you are willing to make the committment to yourself and do the HARD work, there are Options available that are less expensive and less invasive to your body.
    I hope you are having an awesome weekend.