Fat Head is an awesome documentary.

Options
124»

Replies

• Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    "Super-Size Me" fraud ?

How is that a fraud? If you eat a ton of MD you will get sick!

True, and no one will dispute that. But he does point out that Spurlocks numbers just don't add up. He couldn't have eaten what he said he ate. He asked them for a copy of the journals that would show what he consumed, but of course they refused.
  • coffeeQ2hrs
    coffeeQ2hrs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    no, an awesome documentary is "fat, sick, and nearly dead"!!
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Watching Fat Head on Netflix. The dude totally slams the "Super-Size Me" fraud.

Did you ever take the time to consider that both docs are equally crappy?

Supersize Me- Eat in a surplus, gain weight

FatHead - Eat in a deficit, lose weight

Woah!

You just saved me 2 hours of my life. Thanks.
  • spark409
    Options
    bump
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

I really like this one.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Personally, I enjoyed Forks Over Knives. I went out and slayed a whole field of lettuce after that documentary.
  • SpiritRockBernie
    Options

i really liked that one. Orchidgirl, i just saw a new documentary called Hungry for change. The guy from fat, sick, and nearly dead is in it. check it out.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

i really liked that one. Orchidgirl, i just saw a new documentary called Hungry for change. The guy from fat, sick, and nearly dead is in it. check it out.

yeah - hungry for change. heard its excellent . (just ordered it too). same with forks over knives as someone else said.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Watching Fat Head on Netflix. The dude totally slams the "Super-Size Me" fraud.

Did you ever take the time to consider that both docs are equally crappy?

Supersize Me- Eat in a surplus, gain weight

FatHead - Eat in a deficit, lose weight

Woah!

Shocking!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's always good to view documentaries with some objectivity, but I did enjoy Fat Head. The idea that I don't have to order a super size meal (or fries, or a coke for that matter!) just because the person taking my order asks me to. It's a personal responsibility thing.

I do not mean to be facetious so please forgive me if that is how my question sounds but, did you not already know this? When someone in a position to sell you something offers you something more than what you asked for as a 'bargin", they are not really doing it for your benefit are they? They are upselling. I've never been a big fast food eater but when I have, I ordered what I had chosen and declined the upsell. I didn't want to spend more and I didn't want to eat more. I think it's dangerous territory when we start blaming people who's mission it is to sell us stuff for the fact that we buy it. (not that you are doing that) It is all about our own intentional and, theoretically, informed choices.

I'm pretty sure she's talking about people in general taking responsibility for personal choices instead of having some political figure head ban certain sizes of sodas in their "fight of obesity."

Yup, I got that. So am I.

Fat Head is a response to Super Size Me. One of the basics of Super Size Me was that Spurlock always said yes when he was asked to "Super Size" a meal. He also made it a point to order every item (and meal) on the menu at least once- even when it was so much food that he couldn't keep it all down. The premise dismisses the idea that we have a choice in what we order.

So, I guess I'd call that a faulty premise.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

that's just as bad as the others.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    All documentaries suck. They are all done with a certain outcome in mind and then edited in a way to achieve said outcome. There is no such thing as an unbiased documentary.
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I thought Super High Me was better than both mentioned.
    Agreed!!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Personally, I enjoyed Forks Over Knives. I went out and slayed a whole field of lettuce after that documentary.

Me Too!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one around here sitting around watching food documentaries on rest day.

:embarassed:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I had to watch it after reading this forum.

1) I agree that animal fat is healthy. My ancestors lived off of pork fat. It is the only source of Vitamin D in the winter when you can't go outside and absorb sunlight.

2) I agree there's way too much carbs and sugar in our diet.

3) i DO NOT agree that we should glorify fast food diets, however, he did plainly state at the end that a healthier version of this would have been to have it with **** loads of veggies and fruit.

4) I love that it was pro-coconut oil.

5) I am shocked that he stated "Blacks and Hispanics are genetically pre-disposed to being thicker." Is this true, because to me it just sounded racist. I felt like he was saying "Don't listen to what SSM says about the poor, it's really racial differences that are un-accounted for." Which is not what he said. But he did clearly and blatantly state it was "always skinny white people" who had a problem with the obesity epidemic, WHICH IS NOT TRUE HELLO MICHELLE OBAMA.

At first I thought it was a joke, and although I believe he touched on some true subjects, take most of what he says with a grain of salt. (That's for spiritually cleansing the bull**** you're about to hear.)

It is worth watching if you have Net Flix and don't have to pay for it. If you're bored an want to watch a food documentary on rest day.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Ooh goodie, more people who know everything about everything.

What an informative thread this has been.

:laugh:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just watching this on YT. Interesting stuff. Have heard of some of this before, mind.