What's so bad about low weights/high reps?

Options
13»

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Ok... This is something that I consistently argue with people about. I suppose it depends on the body because we all build& hold differently, but I am an absolute subscriber to the low weight high rep idea... It is ABSOLUTELY the only way I've found to build long muscles for myself. I get grilled about this. People always tell me I won't bulk up, but they're wrong. I've done it! If I get into the theory of "if you can do 12 reps, up your weight" my arms get huge.. Now, that said, I've found a balance. I do a variety of workouts with low weight and a lot of yoga. I have just gone back to the gym for straight weight training in the last few weeks. I will not do a full workout of, for instance, biceps and triceps, because I know I bulk there. But I'll do legs, back, chest... All on separate days.

The rep range for max hypertrophy is around 8-12 reps. If you don't want hypertrophy, 5 reps is a better goal than 8-12. 1-5 reps gets you in the strength and power rep range. 6 and up is where you start seeing more hypertrophy.

Also, your muscles are attached to bone at both ends. They can't get longer unless your bone structure changes. I understand not wanting hypertrophy- for that you stick to even heavier weights at lower reps.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm doing New Rules and I love it. Never thought I would. I'm only 4 weeks in and can see noticeable results. And Im getting stronger each week. Try it! :)

It sounds to me like it's a really good program. :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I always was taught that I would need a spotter to use large barbells and I don't know anyone at my gym to ask to spot me and I can't afford a trainer. I don't know where to begin.

Learn the lifts and you don't need a spotter. You really only need a spotter when you you're attempting a weight or reps that you're unsure of. You can always ask somebody else lifting nearby for a spot. Most people don't mind.

^^^ This is true. I use the Oly bar for bench press, incline press, squats, and deadlifts and I rarely ever use a spotter. If I do it is on a rare occasion that I'm doing very low reps and feel like pushing myself using weights slightly higher then what I know I can already do on my own. And then I use dumbbells and easy curl bars for a lot of other exercises.

The nice thing about changing things up all the time is it's not so boring, and it's good for all the various muscles.
  • arwen3
    arwen3 Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes... I understand that.. I am using the word "longer" as a visual, but you are correct... Technically... And broadly. I do believe though that we all, as I said, build and hold differently. So whether 5 reps, or 12, one cannot determine that a certain idea will work for everyBODY. Alot depends on diet as well. Which is another thing that is very dependent on the individual.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    The best way to see improvement is to gradually increase work. Either by increasing reps, or by increasing weight. So if weight remained the same, you'd have to keep going higher and higher in reps to elicit gains
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    For a little bit of a sciencey perspective:

The enzyme responsible for building slow twitch muscles (AMPk) inhibits the enzyme responsible for signalling your body to grow fast twitch muscles (MTORC1). Fast twitch muscles are the ones responsible for 6-8 sec bursts of power. They are also much more voluminous than slow twitch fibers (ie you get better definition with them). Basically, once your weightlifting gets to endurance, you turn on AMPk, turn off MTORC1, and mineaswell be jogging, except that endurance is muscle group specific, so you're getting really good H+ buffering, and all that stuff, from your biceps. Which, who cares. You're doing weights to build muscle, right?

(PS, this is another absolute reason to do your cardio/endurance stuff BEFORE you weight train)
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Convinced now..will call gym this morning!
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'd wager your purse weighs close to 5 lbs and you can carry it all day. I wouldn't expect much in the way of fitness improvement from it though.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    whats so bad about low weights high reps??

its a waste of time and you dont build any muscle.. male or female.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options

I have a buddy that would disagree with you. He lifts light and he's a monster.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The only real problem is the possibility of repetitive stress injury. But if you can handle a heavier weight and get the same result with fewer reps you're wasting time.

BUT if you feel comfortable with a low weight and think you can do the exercise with good form only at that weight, continue. Also, don't forget that you may need different weight for different body parts and muscles, depending on their strength.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

And he's accomplished this doing 25 reps with 8 or 10 lb dumbells??
  • monty619
    Options

its not about lifting light... its about lifting with strict form and keeping tension on the muscle... the rep range is still in the heavy range of 6-12 but the dumbells he uses are probably lighter than noobies who just try to pick up the biggest dumbells and swing them around.. ur friend practices the right way how to lift weights which explains why is muscles are larger than most but his weights are by no means light if he lifts them strictly...

any bodybuilder knows this and ur friend if lifting weights correctly... by no means is it *light* especially for isolation movements.

so im pretty sure he would know wut im talking about.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Well, "light" is relative so its difficult to fully quantify the amount of reps and weight for each individual. But for someone of his stature, the weight is "light". Being a lifter myself, I'm certainly well aware of the importance of lifting with strict form, but I just thought your comment that unless you lift heavy its a waste of time, was pretty irresponsible. Doing something is always better than doing nothing.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Awesome! :) It's frustrating to feel like even when I'm busting my butt, I'm not doing it right. It's nice to know someone did it my way and got results!
  • monty619
    Options
    Well, "light" is relative so its difficult to fully quantify the amount of reps and weight for each individual. But for someone of his stature, the weight is "light". Being a lifter myself, I'm certainly well aware of the importance of lifting with strict form, but I just thought your comment that unless you lift heavy its a waste of time, was pretty irresponsible. Doing something is always better than doing nothing.

heavy is a relative term... were talkin about rep ranges refer to the question title.
  • monty619
    Options

and i still stick to lifting light is a waste of time.. anything over 20 reps with using weights is ridiculous and wont build skeletal muscle on any body frame assuming you have exercised once or twice in your life.