Easy Student recipes?

Options
wiesk1
wiesk1 Posts: 26
Hey, Im a student living on my own, having to cook my own food! It stinks! Haha, plus im living in the UK, and the food is WaY different from the states! So I was wondering, does anyone have really good and easy lunches that I could try? Or small meals? Very few ingredients, im on about a 20 pounds/40 US dollars a week budget, food is scarce! Thanks!

Replies

• wiesk1
    Options
    Hey, Im a student living on my own, having to cook my own food! It stinks! Haha, plus im living in the UK, and the food is WaY different from the states! So I was wondering, does anyone have really good and easy lunches that I could try? Or small meals? Very few ingredients, im on about a 20 pounds/40 US dollars a week budget, food is scarce! Thanks!
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Veggie chili! All you need is a can of black or red beans or pinto whatever kind you like, an onion, one ready mix pack of chili mix and a can of diced tomatoes. I add Boca soy crumbles you can use meat if you eat it-lean, chicken, ground whatever. Quick and easy and healthy and you can even make it in a microwave if you HAVE too lol:smile:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I lived on the following meal for a long time. It's filling and cheap.

1 small onion chopped
    1 can chickpeas
    1 can diced tomotoes
    1/2 tsp of dried basil

You cook down the onion and then add remaining ingredients. It's healthy and it actually tastes good.
    I've made it without onions and basil at times. Still good.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I eat eggplant sandwiches a lot for lunch. A big eggplant costs me under $3. US. And a loaf of bread will last you the whole week. I only use a couple slices of it at a time and wrap up the rest it lasts all week because I am constantly cutting off the end. I also try to wait for the low cal bread to go on sale then stock up and put it in the freezer if I have to. It is also good to add eggplant to eggs for breakfast or with a salad or stir fry and it is really low cal.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Four Ingredient Cookbook series by Coffee & Cale. My nutritionist recommended these books to me since they're targeted for those with minimum cooking ability and fantastic for students on the go. Each recipe only requires four ingredients and they also have low-fat cookbooks as well.

Here is an excerpt from their website:

These cookbooks are a perfect alternative for those who have too little time or wish to spend less money eating out every meal - in short, all of us! The ease of preparation, simple shopping and minimal storage required for our cooking style make these cookbooks ideal for: working parents, busy singles, college students, RV & camper cooking, senior citizens and young people just starting out. These cookbooks can help you get on with your busy life!

I'd recommend the:

Low Fat & Light Four Ingredient Cookbook®
    Format: Paperback, spiral bound, 144 pp.
    Pub. Date: 1996 ISBN: 0-9628550-2-2
    Publisher: Coffee & Cale
    Description: New recipes especially selected to help reduce fat...and still taste great! Nutritional analysis is given for each of the recipes: appetizers, salads, vegetables, main dishes and dessert

Enjoy!

http://www.fouringredientcookbook.com/
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options

Oh yeah different, I heard about that. I heard as in more dirty resturaunts. And food is more expensive. You don't get free refils, which is good. BUT because you can't get refills people buy the biggest drink possible.. so what is the difference of buying a small and refiling that? :laugh:

they have to pay extra if they want ketcup.

You can have some USA friends send you some food? :happy: That can always be an option.. or does that go against any customs rules and regulations?
  • wiesk1
    Options
    haha yea, the food is very expensive compared to the States. It looks like a normal price, but because of the exchange rate you really need to double it. I have had my parents send me some food, but none of it is good for me! Its like boxed macaroni and cheese, instant mashed potatoes, and rice. But one good thing i do get sent to me is TUNA!!! any good recipes for tuna
  • goodtimesdani
    Options
    ooo im a student too, and on about the same budget. when i have tuna, i always drain it, then mix it with some light mayo, and maybe a tiny bit of mustard and relish. then i have it on toasted bread. MMmmM.

Another thing i have for lunch/dinner a lot is vegetable beef soup - campbells. its soo feeling and really good with crackers dipped in.

these two things, and buying lots of grapes, apples and oranges, keeps me really filled up!
  • graypink0130
    Options
    All Natural tuna (canned) with horseradish mustard, tomatoes, and pepper in a pita. Pretty cheap and really healthy. If you don't like tuna try a veggie pita.:glasses:
  • leahmbass
    leahmbass Posts: 15
    Options
    I lived on the following meal for a long time. It's filling and cheap.

1 small onion chopped
    1 can chickpeas
    1 can diced tomotoes
    1/2 tsp of dried basil

You cook down the onion and then add remaining ingredients. It's healthy and it actually tastes good.
    I've made it without onions and basil at times. Still good.

This recipe would also be good to substitute the chickpeas with kidney beans. You can also add a little smoked sausage and its greatness. :smile:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You can always make baked potato in the microwave.

Clean the potato and poke it several times with a fork.
    Wrap the potato in plastic wrap and put it on a plate.
    Microwave the potato at full power for five minutes.
    Turn over the potato, and microwave for another five minutes.
    If the potato is soft, remove it from the microwave.
    If it is still hard, cook it for a few extra minutes.
    Cut the potato in half, length-wise, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
    Mash up the insides with a fork and top with butter and 2/3 of the low fat/fat free cheese (if desired).
    Put the potato back into the microwave and cook for an additional minute.
    Remove the potato and top with the light sour cream and remaining low fat/fat free cheese.

Have some veggies on the side & meat of your choice.

You can also buy whole wheat pasta, light/low fat/low sodium pasta sauce, lean ground beef or ground turkey. Brown turkey, cook pasta and mix everything together. Grated parmesan cheese is low in calories so sprinkle some ontop. I make this for myself when I want a filling meal that is fast & easy.
    Or you can even make baked ziti (or whatever other pasta you have) with low fat/fat free shredded cheese & pasta sauce.
    Crunchy PB and A Wrap
    4 7- to 8-inch flour tortillas
    1/3 cup peanut butter
    1 cup chopped apple
    1/4 cup low-fat granola

1. Spread peanut butter over each tortilla. Sprinkle with apple and granola. Tightly roll up tortillas. Cut in half. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Pack in insulated containers. Makes 4 servings

http://www.bhg.com/recipes/recipedetail.jsp?recipeId=R046369
    Turkey Burger

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1297-actually-delicious-turkey-burgers?hl=turkey+burger#posts-6454

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Healthy and cheap:

1 can black beans
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can corn
    jalapeno or banana peppers

Detailed Directions:

1. Mix ingredients.
    2. Heat if you like, or not.

:laugh:

It's good, though! I made it for dinner the other night and honestly I usually eat it cold. it's also good camping food because cans are so portable.
  • dhcwong
    dhcwong Posts: 49
    Options
    I find that stir fries are the way to go.

Ingrediants:

1) mixed frozen vegetables (big, cheap pack from ICELAND)
    2) pasta (get large packs from LIDL) (or you can get those AMOY stir fry egg noodles)
    3) fresh tomatoes
    4) Garlic and onion
    5) Soy sauce

cook 50g dry of pasta for about 12 minutes.
    when pasta is cooking, fry up onions and garlic for 5 minutes on low heat so they release their sweetness
    add vegetables and turn up the heat. stir fry until they are cooked enough for you
    add drained pasta and mix it all up
    add soy sauce to taste.

very cheap. and very good. If you want protein, add an egg at the end.

How to add an egg:
    in your pan, push the pasta and veggies to one side, and crack open an egg on the hot bit. scramble the egg and then mix it with the rest of the pasta when it's hard enough to your liking.
    ---
    or you could prepare it in an even quicker way- this is my drunken 3am food which i do instead of kebabs.

boil pasta AND frozen mixed veg in one pot.
    cut up tomatoes and pop it in large salad bowl. Season with olive oil, pepper and a bit of lemon juice and salt.
    Drain veggies and pasta
    Pop inside your salad bowl.
    Toss it around
    tada! quick hot pasta salad!

The thing is, food in the UK is cheap, if you know where to look for it. LIDL and ICELAND and ASDA are relatively cheap supermarkets, but the best is if you head to the ethnic shops and markets. The immigrant population in the UK eat very well (better than the locals) and they have the best logistical networks in getting cheap food to them!